OT: 2015 Hockey East Playoffs

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
Just thought I'd make a Hockey East Playoff thread for those interested or watching. Current Merrimack student, GO WARRIORS!!!

Did a thread search and didn't find a thread. If Mods think it's inappropriate it can be locked.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tough way for Northeastern to be eliminated

11025259_10205357741155719_70388441996773525_o.jpg

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Wow, more heartbreak on Huntington Ave. Going from OT of the Beanpot to being swept in the 1st round of the Hockey East playoffs. UNH gets the sweep of UConn but UConn goalie Rob Nichols stole the show despite losing 2-0. Nichols absolutely stood on his head but UConn had very few quality scoring chances and it felt like it was only a matter of time before UNH could eventually get one past Nichols but he made several highlight reel saves. Gonna be interesting to see how things shake out tomorrow. As a PC fan I'm pulling for Maine to get past UVM so the Friars can play them, we've seem to have their number the past couple seasons. I think ND will take care of UMass tomorrow. My prediction for quarterfinals matchups and beyond:

BU vs Merrimack with BU taking the series 2-0
PC vs Maine PC 2-0
BC vs UNH BC 2-1
UML vs ND ND 2-1

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wow, more heartbreak on Huntington Ave. Going from OT of the Beanpot to being swept in the 1st round of the Hockey East playoffs. UNH gets the sweep of UConn but UConn goalie Rob Nichols stole the show despite losing 2-0. Nichols absolutely stood on his head but UConn had very few quality scoring chances and it felt like it was only a matter of time before UNH could eventually get one past Nichols but he made several highlight reel saves. Gonna be interesting to see how things shake out tomorrow. As a PC fan I'm pulling for Maine to get past UVM so the Friars can play them, we've seem to have their number the past couple seasons. I think ND will take care of UMass tomorrow. My prediction for quarterfinals matchups and beyond:

BU vs Merrimack with BU taking the series 2-0
PC vs Maine PC 2-0
BC vs UNH BC 2-1
UML vs ND ND 2-1

The good news is BU is playing at home, the bad news is BU is playing at home.

Agganis Arena has been open for 10 years now and BU is not lights out at home like they were at Walter Brown.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
This was a brutal year for northeastern. Had a good team but never recovered from the slow start and lost the big games...

Hopefully Roy will pay his senior year.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This was a brutal year for northeastern. Had a good team but never recovered from the slow start and lost the big games...

Hopefully Roy will pay his senior year.

Northeastern was hurt in the past 2 nights as the students were on break and it wasn't the Dog Pound atmosphere.

Tonight was the longest game ever played at the Arena which speaks volumes.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Well the first round is done. The quarterfinals are all set. PC will host UNH, BU will host Merrimack, BC will host Vermont, and Lowell will host Notre Dame. I like PC, BU, BC, and ND to advance to the Garden. Although I am weary of UNH who comes to Providence on a 7 game winning streak.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Well the first round is done. The quarterfinals are all set. PC will host UNH, BU will host Merrimack, BC will host Vermont, and Lowell will host Notre Dame. I like PC, BU, BC, and ND to advance to the Garden. Although I am weary of UNH who comes to Providence on a 7 game winning streak.

Should be fun. Too bad UMass-Amherst just ran out of gas, but they did make a mark of sorts in winning the longest game in NCAA history. Funny how these conference tournament games produce some ultra-long contests. Props to the goaltenders who are out there the whole time and have to concentrate as such. BU should get past Merrimack, but if goes to three games, it wouldn't shock me. BU usually has home ice but a for stretch of four or five years we went to a Game 3 on Sunday every time.

http://www.foxsports.com/other/stor...ves-in-loss-to-umass-in-five-overtimes-030715

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Should be fun. Too bad UMass-Amherst just ran out of gas, but they did make a mark of sorts in winning the longest game in NCAA history. Funny how these conference tournament games produce some ultra-long contests. Props to the goaltenders who are out there the whole time and have to concentrate as such. BU should get past Merrimack, but if goes to three games, it wouldn't shock me. BU usually has home ice but a for stretch of four or five years we went to a Game 3 on Sunday every time.

http://www.foxsports.com/other/stor...ves-in-loss-to-umass-in-five-overtimes-030715

The Terriers have never developed a killer instinct at Agganis in the 10 years they have played there. My own theory is that since the team still conducts most practices at Walter Brown, the players don't know the rink the way they should.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
my god, Merrimack and NU have played a combined 7OT periods in two games thus far.

????

I believe there were only 4 OT periods total in that series? (Two double OT games) UMass and NotreDame played more than that in one game Friday night :D

As far as UMass goes, despite the blowout loss in Game 3, happy with the way they finished the season down the stretch after an absolutely dismal start. They had 10 freshman start this year and also have a couple of good players coming in next year (incl 4th round TB pick, SWE d-man William Lagesson), so it appears they will be in good shape.

I didn't get to see the series this weekend, but it seems that the goaltending was an issue for the Minutemen based on the box score. It's a safe bet because it was an issue in nearly every game I watched this season. If they want to make the next step, they need to get a stud back there IMO.

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
????

I believe there were only 4 OT periods total in that series? (Two double OT games) UMass and NotreDame played more than that in one game Friday night :D

As far as UMass goes, despite the blowout loss in Game 3, happy with the way they finished the season down the stretch after an absolutely dismal start. They had 10 freshman start this year and also have a couple of good players coming in next year (incl 4th round TB pick, SWE d-man William Lagesson), so it appears they will be in good shape.

I didn't get to see the series this weekend, but it seems that the goaltending was an issue for the Minutemen based on the box score. It's a safe bet because it was an issue in nearly every game I watched this season. If they want to make the next step, they need to get a stud back there IMO.

My mistake, got confused and thought Merrimack played the 5OT game

Bad Hat Harry

Michael Scarn
Sep 27, 2010
Boston, MA

I'm a UNH fan... should be a great series against PC. Teams match up really well and it should be a real battle.

Do you have any idea if the games will be televised/streamed online?

Sheehan555

Some Kid from Boston
Sep 22, 2012
Tewksbury, MA
Watched the Merrimack/Northeastern game Saturday and wow, what a game. Haven't watched too much of either team this year, but Tirronen stole the show, imo.

Will definitely be hoping for an interesting series between BU and Merrimack. I'm on the Merrimack bandwagon for a while since my buddy just committed there for hockey next season, but that BU top line might be too much for the Warriors.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
I'm a UNH fan... should be a great series against PC. Teams match up really well and it should be a real battle.

Do you have any idea if the games will be televised/streamed online?

I don't know what games NESN is picking up. I would imagine they'll televise a game or 2 from either the BC or BU series. I'll be at the games between PC and UNH and I imagine there will be plenty of tickets available as the students are on break. Plus the Friar faithful might be distracted with the Big East tourney and selection Sunday that weekend. It's no secret we're a basketball school. You might have to pay to stream it through Hockey East like I did for Game 2 of UConn vs UNH. Rob Nichols performance for UConn was almost worth the 10 bucks I paid to watch it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don't know what games NESN is picking up. I would imagine they'll televise a game or 2 from either the BC or BU series. I'll be at the games between PC and UNH and I imagine there will be plenty of tickets available as the students are on break. Plus the Friar faithful might be distracted with the Big East tourney and selection Sunday that weekend. It's no secret we're a basketball school. You might have to pay to stream it through Hockey East like I did for Game 2 of UConn vs UNH. Rob Nichols performance for UConn was almost worth the 10 bucks I paid to watch it.

A Saturday double-header on NESN, beginning with No. 11 at No. 1 Boston University at 4 p.m. followed by No. 7 Vermont at No. 3 Boston College at 7 p.m. NESN will also air a potential Game 3 from one of the series Sunday at 6 p.m. -

See more at: http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres1415/201503/mar8hea.php#sthash.suebErr3.dpuf

Bad Hat Harry

Michael Scarn
Sep 27, 2010
Boston, MA

That kid is unreal... game should have been 6-0 but he kept the Huskies in it.

But I'll probably have to pay and stream it again. I'm sure these games will be worth the money

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
That kid is unreal... game should have been 6-0 but he kept the Huskies in it.

But I'll probably have to pay and stream it again. I'm sure these games will be worth the money

I was actually so mad UNH won that game. I didn't have a rooting interest, although I'll admit I'd rather play UConn than UNH. The real reason I was mad is that my best buddy from college is a UConn season ticket holder and we had planned on making the trip to Durham if there was a game 3. I was pretty pumped at the prospect of going as I have never been to the Whittemore Center before and was looking forward to it. Plus I'm always up for a hockey roadtrip no matter who is playing. Alas it was not meant to be. I knew it was a slim chance after watching for about 5 mins Saturday as UConn looked like they were on the pk for 60 minutes in that game. Anyway see you guys on Friday at Schneider!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad