Confirmed with Link: (2015) Flyers hire Scott Gordon as Phantoms HC - (2021) Gordon will not be retained

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That annual Bat Brigade from under Congress Ave is both magnificent and terrifying all at once. Austin is still a fun town -- probably not so much for an oldhead like you though :wally::razz:

Too many yuppies, Republican lobbyists and California engineers.

The cool restaurants closed, replaced by "faux hip" Tex Mex joints, musicians and artists can't afford to live there anymore as property values shot up, the relaxed ambiance (the guy in cutoffs at the bar could be a millionaire or living on the street - check out Slackers or Dazed and Confused to get a feel) is gone as too many pretentious types with money crowd out the scene.

I was a bouncer for the 2nd? SXSW festival, it was totally different, affordable, not famous, but a great opportunity to see new bands in cool bars.
If I ever go back, I'll skip the formal spots (not worth it without an expensive VIP badge that gets you into the hot acts) and just to the hotels for the free showcases put on by the labels.

However, as long as the Continental Club and the Hole In the Wall stay in business, some of Austin survives. Adios Liberty Lunch, Antones on Guadalupe (my home away from home in graduate school), the Black Cat, and so many other memories.

Joe Ely singing Butch Hancock
The drag is the strip bordering the U of Texas campus on Guadalupe, the patio of the Cactus Cafe overlooks it (where I used to hold office hours, 'cause the kids never came until just before finals, so at least my buddies and me could share a couple pitchers and shoot the breeze).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I have no idea what kind of a coach Laperriere is. The only thing to go on is Hak’s PK, & I’m never certain how much assistants deserve the blame for subpar specialty teams (or praise for good). Too many variables involved.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Too many yuppies, Republican lobbyists and California engineers.

The cool restaurants closed, replaced by "faux hip" Tex Mex joints, musicians and artists can't afford to live there anymore as property values shot up, the relaxed ambiance (the guy in cutoffs at the bar could be a millionaire or living on the street - check out Slackers or Dazed and Confused to get a feel) is gone as too many pretentious types with money crowd out the scene.

I was a bouncer for the 2nd? SXSW festival, it was totally different, affordable, not famous, but a great opportunity to see new bands in cool bars.
If I ever go back, I'll skip the formal spots (not worth it without an expensive VIP badge that gets you into the hot acts) and just to the hotels for the free showcases put on by the labels.

However, as long as the Continental Club and the Hole In the Wall stay in business, some of Austin survives. Adios Liberty Lunch, Antones on Guadalupe (my home away from home in graduate school), the Black Cat, and so many other memories.

Joe Ely singing Butch Hancock
The drag is the strip bordering the U of Texas campus on Guadalupe, the patio of the Cactus Cafe overlooks it (where I used to hold office hours, 'cause the kids never came until just before finals, so at least my buddies and me could share a couple pitchers and shoot the breeze).

I could see the bolded when I was there. Still had a good time though. Hole in the wall was a blast!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have no idea what kind of a coach Laperriere is. The only thing to go on is Hak’s PK, & I’m never certain how much assistants deserve the blame for subpar specialty teams (or praise for good). Too many variables involved.

Nobody has any idea what kind of coach Lappy is, which is a good sign that he should not have the job

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Nobody has any idea what kind of coach Lappy is, which is a good sign that he should not have the job
I would hope the management, staff members, and players that have worked closely with him during his long tenure would have an idea.

Reactions: renberg

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
They are not going to give the job to Lappy based on merit. That’s not what they do. They will do it because he has been a loyal employee for all this time. I mean did they interview anyone else? Bringing Murray back is just the icing on this shit cake.
I have tried to be patient. Probably more than most around here, but I am just sick and tired of the bullshit.
The Flyers lost the lets give him the benefit of the doubt. It is now just a sad 3 ring circus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I could see the bolded when I was there. Still had a good time though. Hole in the wall was a blast!

Great memories of that place, graduate student hangout, one time I was just hangin' at the bar in the early evening, they closed the doors, set up for a band to collect a house charge, but let people at the bar (a handful) stay gratis. Turns out it was Mojo Nixon, who I had never even heard of, one of the great nights of my life. "She put a Louisiana liplock on my love porkchop . . ."

Then there was the Southern blonde who took the seat next to me when I was drinking with my graduate school friends, she "dropped" her handkerchief between us, being the gentleman I was, I picked it up and handed it to her, and allowed her to pick me up . . . details shall be kept confidential.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Great memories of that place, graduate student hangout, one time I was just hangin' at the bar in the early evening, they closed the doors, set up for a band to collect a house charge, but let people at the bar (a handful) stay gratis. Turns out it was Mojo Nixon, who I had never even heard of, one of the great nights of my life. "She put a Louisiana liplock on my love porkchop . . ."

Then there was the Southern blonde who took the seat next to me when I was drinking with my graduate school friends, she "dropped" her handkerchief between us, being the gentleman I was, I picked it up and handed it to her, and allowed her to pick me up . . . details shall be kept confidential.

You old dog you!

Reactions: Beef Invictus

swami24

Jul 24, 2020

Sounds like an old Penthouse Forum letter

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Ahhh man I bet! Those older bands sometimes get shit on but there is something about the nostalgia and ability to get people to sing along.

Just let me see U2 once live and I’ll be fine.
Seen many fazes of U2 live. Joshua Tree tour, aka before the Bono egomania. ZooTV and POPMart full blown Bono being an egomaniac who thought he should preach as much as they played. Songs of Innocence and Experience tour where he realized he was a douche and made fun of those years. All were good musically if U2 is your musical style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad