Confirmed with Link: (2015) Flyers hire Scott Gordon as Phantoms HC - (2021) Gordon will not be retained

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters

His track record looks ok as a coach, but not great. I dont really know enough about him to make a judgement. I do like this though....

"Gordon and Friars goaltender Chris Terreri made hockey history, as both goalies placed water bottles on the top of their nets, the first time that goales placed water bottles on the top of their nets in a hockey game."

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
He is a former ahl coach of the year and has a winning record every year as a minor league coach. Then he was hired to get fired by the islanders and their inept management. I think it's a good hire, he seems to get the most out of the minor league guys and can establish a winning culture down there. Keeping cote on the other hand..

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
As I mentioned in another thread, I hope his style of play is similar to Hakstols.

Will go a long way for the development of the prospects.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
He is a former ahl coach of the year and has a winning record every year as a minor league coach. Then he was hired to get fired by the islanders and their inept management. I think it's a good hire, he seems to get the most out of the minor league guys and can establish a winning culture down there. Keeping cote on the other hand..

I am fine with both.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Lots of experience but pretty bad track record coaching the Islanders and Maple Leafs.
At least better than promoting Cote to Head Coach :naughty:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Lots of experience but pretty bad track record coaching the Islanders and Maple Leafs.
At least better than promoting Cote to Head Coach :naughty:
It's not like those franchises management gave him much to work with, especially the islanders. Those teams he coached were among the worst in the post lockout era talent wise. Also he wasn't head coach of the leafs.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I can't say I hate it, but I don't really know much about the guy other than what I just read.

I need someone to tell me what to think!

(And yeah, I'm thankful it's not Cote.)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well I'm only going to look at what he did in the AHL which his team's typically did well & made the playoffs.

He might have been a failure in the NHL for whatever reason but we're not hiring him to do that so it's irrelevant anyway.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
What does everyone think?

He is an absolute control freak. Seems to be a good teacher of young players but older guys didn't seem to like his style much. He also likes to use a fast paced go system , he also likes offensively aggressive dmen and it often leaves the other dmean to either fend for themselves or allow odd man rushes.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Well I'm only going to look at what he did in the AHL which his team's typically did well & made the playoffs.

He might have been a failure in the NHL for whatever reason but we're not hiring him to do that so it's irrelevant anyway.

IIRC, Rick Tocchet scored on him in the opening 15 seconds of a Quebec-Flyers' game. That aside, Bill Meltzer has a detailed column worthy of a read including coaching tendencies and reputation.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...rdon-to-Coach-Lehigh-Valley-Phantoms/45/69951

A native of Brockton, Mass., Gordon has long had ties with USA Hockey. During his playing days, he was a goaltender for Team USA at the 1992 Olympics. As a coach, he was the head coach of the U.S. men's national team for two years (2010 and 2011) and also served as an assistant coach for the silver-medal winning Olympic team in 2010.

Gordon worked his way up through the minor leagues as both a player and coach. He holds the distinction of being the first former ECHL player to reach the NHL, and played in 23 games as a goalie for the Quebec Nordiques.

During his coaching tenure with the Islanders, Gordon's team compiled a record of 64-94-23; the worst points percentage in the NHL. However, this was much more a reflection of having a paper-thin roster than any lack of coaching ability on Gordon's part.

As a coach, Gordon (like so many coaches nowadays) is a big believer in implementing a highly structured system. He is considered a good communicator and a straight shooter who puts strong focus on accountability.

When Gordon was let go by the Islanders after a 10-game losing streak, both the Isles' players and management said they felt "Gordo" was a good coach but that he had tried just about everything he could to turn around the team and nothing worked. Gordon, who replaced Ted Nolan, was himself replaced by Jack Capuano.

Islanders general manager Garth Snow, who like Gordon is a Massachusetts native and has been friends with him since the two were in Nordiques training camp in 1987, made Gordon his choice to coach New York based on Gordon's track record of AHL success. At the time, Snow praised Gordon's teaching ability and reputation for developing players.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
EHM tells me that he is a fantastic coach that has no preferred style of play but is one that likes to roll all of his lines. He is a strict disciplinarian, slightly intolerant of prima donas and that he has average personal skills and is unlikely to upset players.

His only true weakness is in coaching forwards.

;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad