Confirmed with Link: (2015) Flyers hire Scott Gordon as Phantoms HC - (2021) Gordon will not be retained

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's see what happens.

This could also be a holding pattern by Fletcher, i.e., if he thinks he might be firing AV in January, he'll want to clean house, so put a placeholder in for now if someone you really want isn't available - either the team bounces back and you get someone compatible with AV, or it doesn't, and you build the organization around the new HC and his approach.

Of course, the Ghost of Holmgren could be involved.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Let's see what happens.

This could also be a holding pattern by Fletcher, i.e., if he thinks he might be firing AV in January, he'll want to clean house, so put a placeholder in for now if someone you really want isn't available - either the team bounces back and you get someone compatible with AV, or it doesn't, and you build the organization around the new HC and his approach.

Of course, the Ghost of Holmgren could be involved.

A homeowner doesn't ask firefighters to hold off putting out a home fire in the hope that it will clear out only the parts he wants to remove in a renovation.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Ahhh man I bet! Those older bands sometimes get shit on but there is something about the nostalgia and ability to get people to sing along.

Just let me see U2 once live and I’ll be fine.
It probably helped that Peter Garrett had a long break for political office but it's not like he ever had a traditional voice anyway. None of them looked like fat old jokes because they take their music seriously. You can tell the real musicians from the washed up old slobs like Axl Rose.

Reactions: pit

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Depends on the band. A lot of groups have about a decade lifetime from when they start to when they run out of material and start becoming a human jukebox, playing their greatest hits and eventually just going through the motions.

Willie Nelson continually re-invents himself, re-interpreting the Great American Songbook, or Johnny Cash made everything he did sound ageless. Neil Young is ageless, while his songwriting quality has slipped the last few decades, that's also because his peak was higher than anyone else.

I got to see U2 on their "War" tour, it was wonderful, Southpark meadows (basically a sloping hill down to the stage in South Austin), they were young and fresh and Bono wasn't full of himself.

Midnight Oil is about the only political band I can stand, for one thing they aren't PC in the way American leftists are, can you imagine Nine Inch Nails coming up with a song like "Forgotten Years?" There's a populist undertow that balances their stance, what American leftists would sound like if they came not from big cities and elite universities, but Youngstown and West Texas and Northern Alabama (why, they might sound like Drive By Truckers).

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Depends on the band. A lot of groups have about a decade lifetime from when they start to when they run out of material and start becoming a human jukebox, playing their greatest hits and eventually just going through the motions.

Willie Nelson continually re-invents himself, re-interpreting the Great American Songbook, or Johnny Cash made everything he did sound ageless. Neil Young is ageless, while his songwriting quality has slipped the last few decades, that's also because his peak was higher than anyone else.

I got to see U2 on their "War" tour, it was wonderful, Southpark meadows (basically a sloping hill down to the stage in South Austin), they were young and fresh and Bono wasn't full of himself.

Midnight Oil is about the only political band I can stand, for one thing they aren't PC in the way American leftists are, can you imagine Nine Inch Nails coming up with a song like "Forgotten Years?" There's a populist undertow that balances their stance, what American leftists would sound like if they came not from big cities and elite universities, but Youngstown and West Texas and Northern Alabama (why, they might sound like Drive By Truckers).

What a great memory that must have been, dead!

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What a great memory that must have been, dead!

Austin was a wonderful town in the 1980s, the land the sixties never left (when it was truly "the people's republic of Austin").
Unfortunately, you can't go back again, it's gone the same way Greenwich Village in the 1960s was special before it died. Or SF, or . . .
Though I'm hoping to retire to the Hill Country some day, Wimberly or San Marcos. But even those spots are getting overrun.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Austin was a wonderful town in the 1980s, the land the sixties never left (when it was truly "the people's republic of Austin").
Unfortunately, you can't go back again, it's gone the same way Greenwich Village in the 1960s was special before it died. Or SF, or . . .
Though I'm hoping to retire to the Hill Country some day, Wimberly or San Marcos. But even those spots are getting overrun.

That annual Bat Brigade from under Congress Ave is both magnificent and terrifying all at once. Austin is still a fun town -- probably not so much for an oldhead like you though :wally::razz:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->