Confirmed with Link: (2015) Flyers hire Scott Gordon as Phantoms HC - (2021) Gordon will not be retained

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The only thing I care about is how he develops defensemen. I don't know how much impact a former goalie can have, but we'll see. He's got a lot of experience.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The only thing I care about is how he develops defensemen. I don't know how much impact a former goalie can have, but we'll see. He's got a lot of experience.

Goalies are always the smartest players, so he will know how the game works and what the D will be doing.

This was not a 'wow' signing. I hope he does well by our prospects.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Goalies are always the smartest players, so he will know how the game works and what the D will be doing.

This was not a 'wow' signing. I hope he does well by our prospects.

I meant more from a technical side of things. I'm not counting on Cote to be that guy.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I meant more from a technical side of things. I'm not counting on Cote to be that guy.

No doubt. I'm also pretty sure Gordon will add another assistant, won't he?
Gordon = HC, PP and D.
Cote = making hemp water bottle holders.
Someone else = PK and coach the forwards.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
No doubt. I'm also pretty sure Gordon will add another assistant, won't he?
Gordon = HC, PP and D.
Cote = making hemp water bottle holders.
Someone else = PK and coach the forwards.

Idk. Last year it was Murray, Cote, a conditioning coach, and a video guy.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Idk. Last year it was Murray, Cote, a conditioning coach, and a video guy.

Doesn't really matter, as long as Gordon knows what he's doing, and he seems to.

Edit: found this: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Flyers_hire_Scott_Gordon_to_coach_Lehigh_Valley_Phantoms.html

Former Flyer Riley Cote, who Hextall indicated was a candidate for the Phantoms job earlier in the offseason, will remain in Lehigh Valley and assist Gordon. Gordon said he and Hextall had initial conversations about adding another assistant to the staff, but no final decision has been made.

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Bruins fan and Providence season ticket holder. Gordon is an outstanding teacher. He was a solid coach for us, save for his inability to outcoach Kevin Dineen. I really haven't been impressed with the Phantoms way of doing things, but this is a step in the right direction. You got a good one.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Thanks for the positive words. I lived in Beverly for a few years and (forgive the blasphemy fellow Flyers people) loved seeing games at the Garden. I only saw a couple in Providence, but still enjoyed some good AHL hockey there. Great area and great fans for hockey.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Bruins fan and Providence season ticket holder. Gordon is an outstanding teacher. He was a solid coach for us, save for his inability to outcoach Kevin Dineen. I really haven't been impressed with the Phantoms way of doing things, but this is a step in the right direction. You got a good one.

Great to hear. Hope it translates to great prospects to come.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
DNH650D.gif

aYDOoAg.jpg

YA5ozB2.gif

r9Ltr3q.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He is an absolute control freak. Seems to be a good teacher of young players but older guys didn't seem to like his style much. He also likes to use a fast paced go system , he also likes offensively aggressive dmen and it often leaves the other dmean to either fend for themselves or allow odd man rushes.

EHM tells me that he is a fantastic coach that has no preferred style of play but is one that likes to roll all of his lines. He is a strict disciplinarian, slightly intolerant of prima donas and that he has average personal skills and is unlikely to upset players.

His only true weakness is in coaching forwards.

;)

Sometimes there are smart people or blind squirrels, how does one distinguish them?

I though Gordon did a good job developing players, he didn't have much to work with until recently.
But his game coaching . . .

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I wonder if Gordon rubbed some people the wrong way. I remember some veterans in his Islanders’ stint feuding with him. I could see his personality becoming overbearing & grating.

I remember an interviewer asking Ghost about Gordon’s interactions with players during the games, which was a huge difference from Hakstol. Ghost replied, half-jokingly, “sometimes it’s too much.”

Maybe he wanted assurances that he’d be the next Flyers coach after Vigneault.

Maybe he was upset about not getting an extension.

Or maybe they just want a younger AHL coach.

But it is sounding like it was more of the Flyers’ decision than mutual.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad