2015 Draft Thread "McEichel" Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The thing about "generational" is that, though it's nebulous and overlapping, a generation is roughly a 20 year span. Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin were drafted about 10 years ago. Probably best to just say we have two top-end elite prospects in this draft, the best 1-2 punch in 10 years. The more one thinks about it the more it seems silly to use the term when Crosby still has another 10 years of playing left.

The way we use these terms should probably be democratic, so I'm fine if people disagree with me, but I personally think the term generational in sports terms ought to apply to a once-a-decade talent, because a decade is the outer limit for how long a player is typically in their prime. The most impactful years of two such players will scarcely overlap by those terms. If you use the 20 year measure, then the NHL would only be able to claim what, 4 bordering on 5 generational players? Take the top 4-5 players in league history, and there would probably be extended gaps in league history when none of them were at their peak.

But I have no problem with people who prefer the term be used differently, it's more a matter of taste than anything.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The way we use these terms should probably be democratic, so I'm fine if people disagree with me, but I personally think the term generational in sports terms ought to apply to a once-a-decade talent, because a decade is the outer limit for how long a player is typically in their prime. The most impactful years of two such players will scarcely overlap by those terms. If you use the 20 year measure, then the NHL would only be able to claim what, 4 bordering on 5 generational players? Take the top 4-5 players in league history, and there would probably be extended gaps in league history when none of them were at their peak.

But I have no problem with people who prefer the term be used differently, it's more a matter of taste than anything.

Agree. I use it as the level of the player personally. I don't really take into account a time frame. Just that they're a rare player.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
JJ was trying to gauge the gap in skill between the two.

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that Marner is on Eichel's level.....i

I believe the gap between the top 2 and many others in the first is much closer than people think. The hype is definitely not close. But at the start of the year did anyone truly believe Marner and stroke would be having the year they are so far. If stroke improves his skating and Marner gains 20 lbs and 2 inches that gap closes even more. When all of these young men are 22 to 24 will be the true test. And I am sure others to will develop vastly. How much bigger stronger faster do you think the top 2 have left in them. Hard when judging 17 year olds

KennyFnPowers*

Not sure if anyone has proposed this question before... but HYPOTHETICALLY:

If the Sabres did get #1/2 overall in the Lottery... Is there any possible package (Ex: both STL+NYI 1st, 1 Fwd + 1 Def prospects, maybe through in a 2nd/3rd...) that could get them the 3rd or 4th overall to land Marner or Strome?

Would it even make sense? Or would it be better to target someone like Crouse at a cheaper rate?

I know there was similar banter over Dal Cole last year... Just wondering if this would be a good idea this year around, going all in on high-end talent (knowing next year will almost certainly be a > bottom 10 finish heading into the draft).

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Is there not an argument over whether or not Marner is on Eichel's level? Guess maybe I misunderstood while scanning it.

No. I asked what the gap was between them. Basically to get a gauge on how close or far away Marner is viewed in relation to Eichel. That somehow turned into the battle that followed.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

If the Sabres did get #1/2 overall in the Lottery... Is there any possible package (Ex: both STL+NYI 1st, 1 Fwd + 1 Def prospects, maybe through in a 2nd/3rd...) that could get them the 3rd or 4th overall to land Marner or Strome?

Would it even make sense? Or would it be better to target someone like Crouse at a cheaper rate?

I know there was similar banter over Dal Cole last year... Just wondering if this would be a good idea this year around, going all in on high-end talent (knowing next year will almost certainly be a > bottom 10 finish heading into the draft).

No team is gonna trade from #3 all the way down to #22 or whatever the highest of our other 1st rounders is. It's just too far.

No. I asked what the gap was between them. Basically to get a gauge on how close or far away Marner is viewed in relation to Eichel. That somehow turned into the battle that followed.

Got it. I was scanning the thread backwards.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Unless either the Isles and/or Blues back up into the teens draft-position wise, it's not going to happen. And even if one of them backed up into the teens, it's still not likely.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
They just picked up the Erie-London feed. First shift McDavid splits the D and draws a penalty.

Notables:
Erie (white) McDavid #97, Baptiste #14, Strome #19
London (green) Domi #16, Marner #93

Last edited:

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Even if I didn't know that Marner is guy who looks like Kane out there, I would have figured it out on that first power play. Here comes another one.

ZeroPT*

Marner on the pk was diving in front of shots in a 0-0 game. Does he always play like that?

Also notable to say that his stick was broken on the kill. He really couldn't do much so he just launched himself at the puck a couple times

EDIT: Gorgeous defensive play on the point of the PP. Stopped a breakaway with good positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad