2015 Draft - 6th pick: Ziyat Paigin

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Does Pronman's praise finally justify Oilers' fans excitement? They may have a real gem here and they deserve it. He has one more year in the KHL (as far as I know), but they need to get him here soon.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The pick we used to get him was a throw in from Talbot.

Deal ended up being..

Jonas Siegenthaler, Zborovskiy and Adam Huska for Talbot and Paigin

2 of them are mediocre low offense left shot d.

The other is a decent goalie prospect playing in the USHL.

Good trade for us.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Does Pronman's praise finally justify Oilers' fans excitement? They may have a real gem here and they deserve it. He has one more year in the KHL (as far as I know), but they need to get him here soon.

Totally fine with him percolating for one more year. Let us get our house in order, ship out the trash, and get some vets that can actually contribute and help lead.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Wow. 7th rounder to 2nd rounder in one year. That's pretty impressive.

Frankly I've been more impressed this season with Paigin than some late first/high 2nd rounders, even, like Juulsen and Roy.

His production this year is probably top 10 for all 2015 draftees. Not even kidding. .70+ ppg for a U21 KHL D is about as unheard of as 2 ppg in OHL in draft or draft +1, or 1.5-2.00 ppg in college, or even 1 ppg in SEL/FEL for forwards

Thats not saying his upside and what he projects to be is that high. But with his tools and current play, I defiantly see an argument for him being a 2nd rounder or late 1st

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Totally fine with him percolating for one more year. Let us get our house in order, ship out the trash, and get some vets that can actually contribute and help lead.

I'm fine with it too, my concern about getting him over here is seeing how his skill level measure against the rest of the Oilers Prospects and on NA ice. My big hope is we see him at the WHC against men, though that's obviously a long shot.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'm fine with it too, my concern about getting him over here is seeing how his skill level measure against the rest of the Oilers Prospects and on NA ice. My big hope is we see him at the WHC against men, though that's obviously a long shot.
Bring him over for a rookie camp and maybe give him a few preseason games and put him down in the ahl till he forces his way up

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This should amaze some people:

Heres a look at other 2015 drafted D NHLe

Paigin- 38 points
Hanifin- in NHL but 18 points prorated
Provorov- 24
Werenski- 24
Zboril- 10
Chabot-18
Juulsen-10
Dermott- 23
Kylington- 10
Bear- 21
Jones- 17

And if you look at the forwards, Marner is 2 ppg+ in OHL, but his NHLe is around 55. So that really puts things into perspective

Also, pretty handy new tool, the NHLe calculator

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tff7quxi8ym38k/NHLECalculator.jar?dl=0&force_dl=1

McDeathbyCheerios*

Paigin- 38 points
Provorov- 24
Werenski- 24
Zboril- 10
Chabot-18
Juulsen-10
Dermott- 23
Kylington- 10
Bear- 21
Jones- 17

And if you look at the forwards, Marner is 2 ppg+ in OHL, but his NHLe is around 55. So that really puts things into perspective

So the best offensive d from the draft was a 7th round pick thrown into a deal.

Go Chia

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So the best offensive d from the draft was a 7th round pick thrown into a deal.

Go Chia

Hard to make that claim this early on. But his season is really, really good if you put it in context orf the different leagues

Also to note. David Rublads 2010-11 SEL season was equivalant to a 45 point season in NHL and was one of highest NHLes ever for a recent draftee (Ellis was 45 as well). So its not a great predictor for future success. Although youd rather have these guys putting up crooked numbers than not

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
At least we're allowed to be cautiously optimistic. That's something! I don't dare to have any expectations, though. Russians on D doesn't seem to work out for us. Mironov and Ulanov are probably the only two that I have liked.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011

Paigin- 38 points
Provorov- 24
Werenski- 24
Zboril- 10
Chabot-18
Juulsen-10
Dermott- 23
Kylington- 10
Bear- 21
Jones- 17

He is 2 years older than the rest of those guys tho.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He is 2 years older than the rest of those guys tho.

True. List wasnt to say Paigin > Provorov. Far from it. Just to put in context his season in KHL

Other things not put into context is that NHLe is for all KHL players that came to NHL. Doesnt adjust for age. So he might get a slight boost in NHLe for being 21. Also doesnt take into account minutes. Im sure all the above guys are getting significatly more than him

For reference, Tarasenko had his NHLe at 64, Kuznetovs at 44. In their first full seasons they had prorated 55 and 37 points respectively. So a bit of over on the prediction, however TOI not factored in.

Noone should take this a prediction hell put up 38 points soon in the NHL (he wont). But just shows how good his season is. Lets see if that translates to NHL at all (big risk)

Also, Bears and Joens years are pretty good

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I'd like to see him come over for the rookie camp/tourney and maybe stick around for main camp depending on how he looks.

Send him back to the KHL for the year. My only question is if Sochi folds, what happens to his contract? Can we bring him over and put him in BAK or will the last year be transferred to another team?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
At least we're allowed to be cautiously optimistic. That's something! I don't dare to have any expectations, though. Russians on D doesn't seem to work out for us. Mironov and Ulanov are probably the only two that I have liked.

Oh come on, Gerbeshkov the first time round was pretty decent :sarcasm:

And To be fair, Russians on defence haven't really worked out for anyone, even the Russian national team :laugh:

His development has been really nice, but for whatever reason I remain a bit skeptical. Perhaps it's the disappointment of Gernat in a semi-similar situation: Late round draft pick, who's tall, but thin as a post, ends up exploding offensively. However the fact that Sochi isn't an amazing offencive team like the Oil Kings were gives me hope

I'm curious to see how he gets his points, is it all from his big shot, or is he actually QB'ing the offence and creating plays.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
I'd like to see him come over for the rookie camp/tourney and maybe stick around for main camp depending on how he looks.

Send him back to the KHL for the year. My only question is if Sochi folds, what happens to his contract? Can we bring him over and put him in BAK or will the last year be transferred to another team?

I believe the KHL season starts a lot earlier than the NHL, so the scheduling won't allow a look see.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I believe the KHL season starts a lot earlier than the NHL, so the scheduling won't allow a look see.

This wouldn't really matter, we can't bring him over even on a tryout if he has a KHL contract. Transfer agreement.

Unless he has an NHL out clause I don't know about but that seems highly unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad