2015 Draft - 6th pick: Ziyat Paigin

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
If he were to make the WC thatd be absolutely massive. Thatd be very tough, almost impossible, but awesome to see. Itd be interesting to see his PP points and EV points. And I think people still have to consider his age and the league hes in. If hes playing tougher minutes and not looking as hot defensively, thats not an issue in my eyes

For sure, the link actually talks about how young this Russian team is. Average age is 22 (Oilers have an average age of nearly 26 per nhl numbers).

That being said, not being a winger really helps his chances haha.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Yeah, this is Paigin:
18686.jpg

By the way, for those wondering, the first syllable of his name is like the English word "pie".

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Looks a bit like Darnell Nurse, don't you think?

Darnell has a slightly more narrow face but i can see a resemblance.

Have been wondering. Does anyone know if his first name is like the arabic name "Ziad" (zee-yahd) similar to how Nails is like the arabic name "Naeel"?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Darnell has a slightly more narrow face but i can see a resemblance.

Have been wondering. Does anyone know if his first name is like the arabic name "Ziad" (zee-yahd) similar to how Nails is like the arabic name "Naeel"?

Yeah, exactly. Zee-YAHD Pie-GEEN (g sounds as in give). He's tatar as Yakupov.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Paigin said in some interview, that he loves to play with his videogame console (Xbone or PS4, I wonder) and read books. And right now he's reading The Picture of Dorian Gray.

A very interesting choice of book for a hockey player.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Paigin said in some interview, that he loves to play with his videogame console (Xbone or PS4, I wonder) and read books. And right now he's reading The Picture of Dorian Gray.

A very interesting choice of book for a hockey player.

Thanks alot for keeping us Oilers fans informed on this player Kshahdoo, much appreciated. Spasiba (sorry, I can't type the Cyrillic).

I think there is always a concern with Russian players, and I am sorry to cite it but even with the recent return of Yakimov to the KHL I think it's fair to bring it up -- they can always return to play in their own country, and be paid very well without all the struggles and troubles of transitioning to a new country and culture. It's encouraging to see the kid has an interesting outlook and seems open to coming over.. I hope his development won't be a mirage.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So I watched Paigin yesterday vs Czech, and I can say he can handle the puck. Isn't a big surprise, actually, he wouldn't be able to score that many points, if he wasn't a good puckmover.

His defensive game isn't that bad as well. The real problem is his frame. 190 lbs isn't enough for his game even in Europe. He should get like 30 lbs more to not get abused in the NHL by stronger players. And when he gets them (I hope he won't lose his mobility as well), he'll become a really good defenseman, someone like Hedman, perhaps. Of course, I'm not sure, will he ever be as good as the Swed, but Hedman sucked actually untill the age 22, and now he's getting better and better with each new season.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
So I watched Paigin yesterday vs Czech, and I can say he can handle the puck. Isn't a big surprise, actually, he wouldn't be able to score that many points, if he wasn't a good puckmover.

His defensive game isn't that bad as well. The real problem is his frame. 190 lbs isn't enough for his game even in Europe. He should get like 30 lbs more to not get abused in the NHL by stronger players. And when he gets them (I hope he won't lose his mobility as well), he'll become a really good defenseman, someone like Hedman, perhaps. Of course, I'm not sure, will he ever be as good as the Swed, but Hedman sucked actually untill the age 22, and now he's getting better and better with each new season.

Marincin gained weight and is now worst.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Just curious, but where are you getting 190 from? The only place he's not listed at 209 is eliteprospects, and even they don't have him that light

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
28 in 45 right now. 7th highest PPG among defensemen playing 16 minutes a night when the six guys in front of him play anywhere from 20 to 28 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad