2015 Draft - 6th pick: Ziyat Paigin

McDeathbyCheerios*

Frankly, despite what some might say, the Oilers deserve to have things break that way for them. Davidson's emergence is amazing, frankly, such a better player then I expected.
Oh we do
We also deserve a couple non first rounders becoming something ever lol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Slighty on topic. My theory on the drfat is that its mostly pure luck. Probably 90% of the talent is homogenous in terms of chances of turning out. No scout really knows. If they did, a team would have continued, sustained success for past 10 years. We havent seen that ever. Some teams have more hits, some more misses, but no team runs the table. 10% is for guys you know wont work out (Abneys of the world)

Most teams in the NHL have a guy that came out from second round or after and is a top pairing or top line guy. Brodie/Tanev/Enstrom/Subban/Weber/Keith/Hamonic/Faulk/Parayko/Gohstibhere/Giorando/Letang/Braun/Josi etc etc etc

Although not all same talent level or same spot in draft, all have become really, really good players from after the 2nd round. Im going to chalk them up to luck (there is development impacts, but again, none really were developed in a system totally different then ours currently)

Oilers in the past (2008-2011ish) have been drafting mainly from the 10% of players (with some exceptions) with no upside and bad picks from the get go, so we never had a chance for one of the above guys. However, in the past 4-5 years weve been drafting from the 90% and atleast put our hat in the ring and have a shot at landing a "steal"

Davidson looks like hell be a good one, but not amongst those noteable steals. But I think we are due for a big time steal. We havent had one in past 10 years and I think our time is due

Im not sure which of Paigin/Bear/Jones/Brossoit (not our pick but include him anyway)/Laleggia/Khaira etc etc will do it. Probably leaning to first 3 or 4 guys having the best shot to contain that one steal

Maybe its over-optimistic. But I think we are due for a big steal, no matter the regime player was drafted and developed by

If Paigin is that guy, thatd be huge

MPStoEberletoHall*

Klefbom-Bear
Nurse-Paigin
Davidson-Jones

Just gotta be patient, guys!

:cry:
Has Bear been that legit? I see he is obviously putting up the points, but how is his overall game? How does he compare to Caleb Jones?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Has Bear been that legit? I see he is obviously putting up the points, but how is his overall game? How does he compare to Caleb Jones?

I was mostly joking :laugh: if any of Jones, Bear, or Paigin turn into what Davidson is now we're laughing.

Bear's playing very well in all three zones, supposedly. Jones too.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah Gernat is a weird one. Guy was straight fire first WHL season. Maybe it was strong team + lucky year. Hes been a ghost in AHL, probably his last season here. I think he had some work ethic issues along with Marincin and just coasted by on raw tools. AHL quickly caught up to him

Atleast Paigin is showing it in KHL.

His season for a u21 D hasnt really been done before fwiw. KHL hasnt produced too many NHL D (most russians go to CHL), but still thats damn impressive

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Watch him play. He's Justin Schultz level bad in his own end.

Is that confirmed or just from development camp. Because every scouting report had him as a solid defensive D with a good shot

Heres a solid write up
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=102093921&postcount=396

Like poster above said, he has 3-4 years to develop as well. And hes actually a competitor

Paigin too has had D zone coverage criticized, but he is a u21 D in KHL. Thats pretty tough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad