2015 Draft - 1st pick: Connor McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Lol McDavid changed his Twitter bio from "Edmonton Oiler #97" to "Oiler prospect #97"

"Let's see... Edmonton Oiler? Nah that's too cocky."

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lol McDavid changed his Twitter bio from "Edmonton Oiler #97" to "Oiler prospect #97"

"Let's see... Edmonton Oiler? Nah that's too cocky."

He's humble to a fault. Like the whole "I might not make the team, I might have to play another year in junior" ... c'mon Connor, lol.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This place is something else. Less than 100 posts about potentially the best drafted player this team will ever have compared with 1250 on a trade basically crying about a trade for a kid that a year ago was a darling on this board. The Oilers could have traded that pick for Willy Wonka and yesterday would still have been a great day in my book.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
This place is something else. Less than 100 posts about potentially the best drafted player this team will ever have compared with 1250 on a trade basically crying about a trade for a kid that a year ago was a darling on this board. The Oilers could have traded that pick for Willy Wonka and yesterday would still have been a great day in my book.

But we knew this was coming since the lottery, McDavid being drafted was just a formality.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
But we knew this was coming since the lottery, McDavid being drafted was just a formality.

Of course. And I understand why almost everything that could be said seems to have been said. But it really is something that suprises me that on a day that could be franchise changing the mood seems to be negative because of a trade that could go either way.

Stat Guy

Aug 30, 2014
Of course. And I understand why almost everything that could be said seems to have been said. But it really is something that suprises me that on a day that could be franchise changing the mood seems to be negative because of a trade that could go either way.

Today's Top Stories according to HF Boards

1) Katz's kid is on the podium
2) Uproar over a trade too close to call
3) HoHum....McDavid was drafted.

I'm so proud of you all!

HallOfGreatness4

Best NHL gambler around
Dec 29, 2010
itshockeynight.com

I'm really excited about McDavid. I do think it's important to surround the team with as much talent as possible. No pick or picks should be viewed as 'ok to throw away'. I don't know much about the defenceman that was acquired, but some say he's solid. Some hate him. I just think we are in for a rude awakening and possibly more disappointment from a high pick if we don't have a good core around him. We have highlight reel forwards but we have no answer from the blue line back still and in net.

Many here including vegas oddsmakers think we will be a playoff team. I would have to fade those odds personally. I think we could miss the playoffs several more years like when Lebron missed it the first three years in Cleveland.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Have to............???

Today's Top Stories according to HF Boards

1) Katz's kid is on the podium
2) Uproar over a trade too close to call
3) HoHum....McDavid was drafted.

I'm so proud of you all!

Have to agree..........but Katz kid has grown and with a suit on looks like a young adult. Notice also, the majority of teams had a young girl or young boy going up to the podium carry a new jersey for the new draftee.

You are correct "ho-hum on McDavid"..........but I pose this question?.........McDavid alone would have made this entire Oiler draft worth while?

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010

McDavid probably won't be even the best CENTER we've ever drafted.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Anybody else feel uneasy about that KAtz clip welcoming Connie?

Also, why was Katz's kid standing next to him and not Chia when selected?

Haha yea it was like nails on a chalk board haha. So weird and awkward I couldn't tell if he was talking to him or at him like he was announcing it in front of an audience. Defently something did not feel right about it

HallOfGreatness4

Best NHL gambler around
Dec 29, 2010
itshockeynight.com
He's definitely going to show people the difference between a first tier and second tier centre - when you look at him and then Nugent Hopkins it will be like night and day

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
McDavid probably won't be even the best CENTER we've ever drafted.

I've watched this team since day 1 in the WHA. McDavid may never be as good as Messier but at the time of the draft he is the best prospect this team has ever picked. Of that I have no doubt. Gretzky of course was not drafted by the Oilers.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I dunno Fourier, it's a discussion forum and as said we've been discussing McDavid for over a month. The trades (Hamilton and Reinhart) are controversial so of course they generate a lot of talk. I don't take it to be equal to a negative attitude myself. I'm definitely still ecstatic we got him and overall cautiously optimistic.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm really excited about McDavid. I do think it's important to surround the team with as much talent as possible. No pick or picks should be viewed as 'ok to throw away'. I don't know much about the defenceman that was acquired, but some say he's solid. Some hate him. I just think we are in for a rude awakening and possibly more disappointment from a high pick if we don't have a good core around him. We have highlight reel forwards but we have no answer from the blue line back still and in net.

Many here including vegas oddsmakers think we will be a playoff team. I would have to fade those odds personally. I think we could miss the playoffs several more years like when Lebron missed it the first three years in Cleveland.

It seems pretty clear that the guy the Oilers wanted at #16 was Svechnikov. He was my choice at #16 even though I never expected Barzal to be there. If Svechnikov has an issue right now it is that he is lacking defensively. He projects as a top 6 winger but in that respect he is probably 3 years away. Slepyshev looks to me to be much closer to being able to play in the NHL and could be a 2nd/3rd liner because he is solid defensively.

McDavid will step into a team that has Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Yakupov, Driasait and Pouliot to help carry the weight on the top two lines. So I don't see the argument that this is about supporting McDavid.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I dunno Fourier, it's a discussion forum and as said we've been discussing McDavid for over a month. The trades (Hamilton and Reinhart) are controversial so of course they generate a lot of talk. I don't take it to be equal to a negative attitude myself. I'm definitely still ecstatic we got him and overall cautiously optimistic.

Fair point. I understand the interest in the trade.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Man seeing him today doing a more casual interview in a blue Oilers golf shirt ... NOW it's starting to really sink in.

I dunno if it was the orange jersey or what, but it just seemed surreal yesterday, now it's like "this guy is part of the Oilers family and will be for a long time, it's real, it's happened" ... still can't believe it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Man seeing him today doing a more casual interview in a blue Oilers golf shirt ... NOW it's starting to really sink in.

I dunno if it was the orange jersey or what, but it just seemed surreal yesterday, now it's like "this guy is part of the Oilers family and will be for a long time, it's real, it's happened" ... still can't believe it.

Nor can I. This kid is just so impressive that I am pumped to see what he can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad