Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who's the next head coach? Not Babcock - Pt. 2 - MOD post #917

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@BuffNewsVogl: Sabres are confident they've done all they can to land Mike Babcock and hope it's enough. League source says his family still has most say.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I like what Bulldog just said on the radio about staying in Detroit. Fans are already grousing over this "process" he's going through a lot...and if he re-signs how are they going to feel around year 13 of his time there. Any coach wears out a welcome after too long. Moving on to anywhere renews it all with a new fan base. So does winning a cup. Are they going to win a cup again soon? Because if not I can totally see the fans growing real tired of him.

Fortunately, I don't think we ever got tired of any of our coaches after say, 14+ years. :sarcasm:

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
@BuffNewsVogl: Sabres are confident they've done all they can to land Mike Babcock and hope it's enough. League source says his family still has most say.

With his family having the most say, I don't feel confident he will come here. Unless his family is secretly checking out the area, I don't see why his family would want to leave a place they are comfortable with for Buffalo. Perhaps thats why he reached out to SJ, because his family would be content there?
It's just everything we have going for us, our young talented roster, extremely friendly and smart ownership, etc. isn't really something his family would find valuable. Who knows, maybe his wife would chase the money :dunno:

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
In theory the Sabres could probably interview Blashill during the playoffs akin to NFL teams speaking to assistants during the post-season. Yes, those interviews are generally during a team's bye week but the preparation for hockey and football coaches is inherently different. As long as the Sabres travel to meet with Blashill as to minimize any interruptions in his routine then it shouldn't matter if Grand Rapids is still playing hockey. Obviously he's not going to leave the team until the season is over but it would give the Sabres something to consider and potentially make an offer so another team doesn't swoop in and steal him.

I'm sure the team has discussed their non-Babcock options and have a list of candidates to interview once his decision is made. They may have even had preliminary discussions with candidates to gauge their interest and see if it warrants an interview.

Unless his in-laws live near a different NHL team either his family is okay with leaving Detroit or they are not. Buffalo may get a bad rap from outsiders but just like almost every other city in America their are nice parts of town (or the surrounding cities) and some not so nice parts. It's safe to say that someone well-off like Babcock will be residing somewhere nice, maybe even a gated community if it makes the family feel better/safter. He currently coaches for Detroit and parts of that city are ghost towns and others far more unsafe than most or all of Buffalo. His actual home is almost certainly out in the suburbs with the other well-off people far away from any of the troubled parts of Detroit. It's not like the debate is whether they want to leave South Florida for Buffalo. If they absolutely do not want to leave their current home or state then there's nothing you can do but the odds of his family not wanting to move just because it's Buffalo are probably quite low.

Last edited:

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
With his family having the most say, I don't feel confident he will come here. Unless his family is secretly checking out the area, I don't see why his family would want to leave a place they are comfortable with for Buffalo. Perhaps thats why he reached out to SJ, because his family would be content there?
It's just everything we have going for us, our young talented roster, extremely friendly and smart ownership, etc. isn't really something his family would find valuable. Who knows, maybe his wife would chase the money :dunno:

At the same time tho his kids will be in college next year, so they won't be at home anyway. And I wouldn't put it past terry or Kim to allow babs wife to fly to Michigan on air pegula whenever she wanted

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
At the same time tho his kids will be in college next year, so they won't be at home anyway. And I wouldn't put it past terry or Kim to allow babs wife to fly to Michigan on air pegula whenever she wanted

No doubt, and don't get me wrong, I see it as a very easy transition, and I would be all about getting out of Detroit. Just curious as to how is wife feels. My point more so is, does she (Mrs Babs) value the hockey aspect of it at all? Because we need her to if we have a shot

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Just tell Babcock whatever Detroit offers you we will beat it by 5 million. Detroit probably offering 5/25. Offer him 5/30 or even 5/35. We have NO cap for coaches. Let Pegula flaunt his wealth I don't care if Babcock is making 10 million.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

Maybe his wife likes money ??? :naughty:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why do people post stupid comments like this? The Detroit suburbs are like top 5 richest areas in the US.

You can find nice rich areas around Buffalo... weather is basically the same except for one huge snow storm a year. If they can be happy in Detroit area...they can be happy in Buffalo area I would have to think.

Karate Johnson*

It Babcock is single is he already signed here? I contend that he is

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Buffalo bashing in relation to Detroit and Detroit bashing in relation to Buffalo are both pretty darn silly. The two cities have a lot of similarities. If you want to see it as a selling point it's that no other city he's looking at would provide as similar of a lifestyle as Buffalo.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Have you seen the pot holes in Detroit? Moving to Buffalo saves them in car repairs ten fold. Thats only one of the many perks.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
You can find nice rich areas around Buffalo... weather is basically the same except for one huge snow storm a year. If they can be happy in Detroit area...they can be happy in Buffalo area I would have to think.
That's not the point. The point is posters try and act like anyone who lives in Detroit is living in Robocop conditions and they would be glad to get out like they were being held their against their will. Downtown Buffalo is disgusting too but the suburbs are nice just like Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad