2015 Caps WJC Thread

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Vrana gets called for a hook and a Danish player reacts thinks they are going to the penalty box because they were the only doing any hooking.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
And man oh man is Ehlers unlikable. Reminds me so much of Crosby as a rookie.

The only reason he ever can't score is the other player clearly committed penalty.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Pretty interesting that Auston Matthews has the same birthday as Ovechkin, so he will be drafted in 2016, but one of the guys on the NHL Network said he could be right there with Eichel and McDavid this year. Not sure I've seen that during the WJC, but damn the US has pretty bright future.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well, Bowey has pro-level skills when it comes to rattling off the stock interview answers.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
IIHF stupid rules coming into factor here.

If the Czech's win in OT vs Russia now and Swiss don't get any points vs Sweden, the 3 way tiebreaker between Czech, Swiss, and Denmark is the points they received in the games vs one another, so Denmark has 3(2 vs Swiss, 1 vs the Czechs) and the Czechs only have 2 for the win against Denmark and their ranked that way because none of them are tied meaning the Czech's do not advance and face relegation, even though they will have had 2 OT wins and the Denmark will have only a SO loss.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Canada & USA getting after it.

Sweden beat Switzerland 5-1 so I guess Czech Republic needs to beat Russia in regulation to reach the QFs.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Probably should of picked Pastrnak over Vrana....
Or Larkin. Vrana doesn't strike me as much of a Trotz Type Player (certainly not at this point). He's not all that diligent defensively nor is he all that dogged a forechecker. With the puck on his stick he can make things happen and at times has been CR's best player but he's prone to disappear and a good portion why is his play away from the puck.

Zacha does seem like a Trotz Type Player on the other hand, although he'll likely be gone by the time the Caps wind up picking.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Our czech players have been a disaster. Vanecek sucks and Vrana hasn't done a thing since the first game. Boweys been pretty good, but once he steps out of junior hockey he plays terribly. :help:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Got an assist on the ENG, but the shift was total ****, lacked hustle and battle the entire shift with an empty net on the other side and then gets a puck shot into his skate that goes on to Kase's stick.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
:whaaa?: International rules, I just don't get them. The Lazar goal is allowed when I thought at the very least it was goalie interference. Thereafter, U.S. is called for a crease violation, so then if not goalie interference why was Lazar not a crease violation.:amazed:

The other issue is interference as it appears you can hit or check a player long after the puck has left or the player is no where near the puck as the Canadians were hitting the U.S. players quite a bit when the puck was long gone.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
:whaaa?: International rules, I just don't get them. The Lazar goal is allowed when I thought at the very least it was goalie interference. Thereafter, U.S. is called for a crease violation, so then if not goalie interference why was Lazar not a crease violation.:amazed:

I agree that the Lazar's goal shouldn't have counted because he interfered with the goalie, but in IIHF games you can be in the blue paint after the puck is in the paint. if you're in the paint before the puck that's when it gets whistled down

champ19

May 1, 2010
Have to agree with Alex. Bowey has looked good makes the occasional mistake but is such an excellent skater and all around athlete that in a year or two with some ahl experience he will be a top six defender in Washington. With the Caps Top 4 as it stands now he and Orlov would be a dynamic combo in the 5 6 role that few nhl teams could match.
Vrana skates well, has an nhl release and offensive instincts but seems to lack compete on the defensive side of the puck. Once he loses the offensive puck battle he seems to lose interest. Additionally with his shoot first mentality he passes up (excuse the pun) teamates that are in prime scoring locations. He strikes me more of an undersized perimeter player more suited to the large European ice than to North America. He needs to develop the non stop motor to create chances on the smaller ice rather than waiting for the one timer. Granted he is a young player and these things may come but so far not overly impressed with last year 1st pick.
As far as Vitaceck goes well the World Juniors has been an unmitigated disaster. you can see the quickness is there but positionally he's terrible. He's in the permanent butterfly no matter where the offensive oppurtunity is coming from. Granted the team defence in front of him was attrocious for the three games he played but he was always on his knees. I think as a prospect he desperately needs proper coaching to work on his fundamentals so the sooner he comes to North America the better.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Thatcher Demko with the Holtby-esque pre-game visualizations. :laugh:

Bummer loss for the USA. They were definitely the better team for most of the game. Too many penalties in the first. Russia did a good enough job at keeping the US wide in transition, and Shestyorkin* was good when the US generated quality chances.

Figures it was DeAngelo getting mixed up after the final whistle. That kid has all the talent in the world, but it a freaking ****.

*fun fact: NYR drafted Shestyorkin with one of the picks they acquired from the Nathan Walker trade

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad