Prospect Info: 2015 21st overall - Colin White (C/RW) USNTDP, going to Boston College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
dont forget he was the best player for the off ice agility testing at the combine....whatever that means lol

Try the 5 10 5 pro agility test. And be the best at it starting left and starting right and then tell us what it means. Probably one of the better tests at the NHL, NFL, CFL combines.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Try the 5 10 5 pro agility test. And be the best at it starting left and starting right and then tell us what it means. Probably one of the better tests at the NHL, NFL, CFL combines.

what does it mean and how does it translate?

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Good skater, high compete level, strong two-way game, high hockey IQ.

Pretty much everyone says the same thing about him. Sounds like a good pick to me.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
RKL sold me on this pick. Seems like a player thats gonna rebound next season and look like a steal. Or at worst is a safe bet.

Yea brudda, I just asked my boy who watched college hockey and he told me he's a powerful skater who dictates his own space on the ice and backs away defenders and is a jack of all trades type scorer. Will beat you from far, dekes, crashing the net etc... Bergeron is great comparison for the guy. Resilient and was battling a lot of illnesses where everything went wrong but still managed to be in conversation for mid-round pick in deep draft.

He's a more imposing Lazar(not physically but how he protects the puck and crashes the net) with better hands, not better shot though.

You know who he compared him too and his style of play? Dylan Larkin, said they're very similar and I just checked their stats and my God they were similar, White is actually better.

Even without the illnesses and losing 30 points his stats are very good, consider what he went through and this could be a steal, boys. Probably what made em chose him over Kon at the end of the day.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yea brudda, I just asked my boy who watched college hockey and he told me he's a powerful skater who dictates his own space on the ice and backs away defenders and is a jack of all trades type scorer. Will beat you from far, dekes, crashing the net etc... Bergeron is great comparison for the guy. Resilient and was battling a lot of illnesses where everything went wrong but still managed to be in conversation for mid-round pick in deep draft.

He's a more imposing Lazar(not physically but how he protects the puck and crashes the net) with better hands, not better shot though.

You know who he compared him too and his style of play? Dylan Larkin, said they're very similar and I just checked their stats and my God they were similar, White is actually better.

Even without the illnesses and losing 30 points his stats are very good, consider what he went through and this could be a steal, boys. Probably what made em chose him over Kon at the end of the day.
I hear all the arguments. But I just got way to excited for barzal to fall for us. And then for Connor to fall for us. And then when I realized even those two were gone. Konecny fell to us. And then nothing.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
what does it mean and how does it translate?
I assume you think it doesn't

It definitely translates as it tests body control, balance and change of direction in a timed trial. All those things are used constantly by hockey players.

It would help having to change directions and winning races to lose pucks.
It would help maintaining body position while defending
It would help forechecking and applying pressure on the puck
read and react maintaining speed and balance.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I assume you think it doesn't

It definitely translates as it tests body control, balance and change of direction in a timed trial. All those things are used constantly by hockey players.

It would help having to change directions and winning races to lose pucks.
It would help maintaining body position while defending
It would help forechecking and applying pressure on the puck
read and react maintaining speed and balance.

I just didnt know how it translates. I didnt know what it is so it would be poor of me to assume that. I meant no disrespect to the test or to White doing well on it. It can onl be seen to me as a positive

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I just didnt know how it translates. I didnt know what it is so it would be poor of me to assume that. I meant no disrespect to the test or to White doing well on it. It can onl be seen to me as a positive

I see ok no big deal ... I think its a good test. For him to win both directions is also very good. Very athletic.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'll admit that I'm really disappointed we didn't take Konecny but I'll differ to the scouts on this one. The US development program is a gold mine I've wanted us to mine for awhile so I can't be made about that. Sounds like a good player. I'm happy he's going to BC, it's a great program.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I see ok no big deal ... I think its a good test. For him to win both directions is also very good. Very athletic.

They said he played many sports growing up, football QB etc. This must really help I only played hockey and this year in agility tests and sprints in class I was with Vert et Or of Sherbrooke football players and they would beat me in a lot of these tests because they were more athletic.

All that to say I think playing many sports must've helped him. I wanted Svech instead of Chabot but am happy with this one...

Tee Lo

May 1, 2015
At first I didn't like this pick (I wanted Joel Eriksson Ek), but I'm starting to warm up to this pick.

Although I hate that he's another right-handed C/RW!!!!! Turris, Zibby, Lazar, Pageau all right handed :-/

Mawlrat

Sep 27, 2011
After watching Colin White's interview I can't help but nickname him "Umuno".

XD

Watching his highlights, I'm excited for this guy. His gold medal winning goal is always a nice touch. Can never have too many of this type of player.

Ttracer*

Clutch player, current players are worried their jobs are being taken. Yeah there's youth that can play

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Very frightened of the Jim O'Brien factor here guys. It's present.

doubt it. Jim was a converted defenseman. Colin just plain has better offensive skills

Whenever people hear great defensively and great leadership they always assume limited skill in my experience.

Jim might not be done anyways. 29 points in 32 ahl games this year. Good KHL numbers relative to his team. I think its likely jim is a decent NHL player

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yea I woulda preferred Konecny for sure but you gotta trust Murray and co in deep drafts. They have spectacular track record and I doubt they woulda flopped on potential of Konecny if they didnt have faith in it.

Draft Harkins/Bracco wit one of the 2nds tomorrow.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Can't believe after the picks this team has made recently that people are actually complaining.

I'll admit that with such a deep draft I was looking forward to a name player who was going to be able to come and play with us sooner rather than later. I'll admit being unfamiliar with these two. But the team's good drafting is the thing keeping me in a mindset of OK, let's just assume they're doing their jobs well. At the end of the day I do think(hope) the playoff experience our boys got was more valuable than a big-name pick.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I too was a bit disappointed about passing on Konecny and Merkley, but I do really like this pick.

While White's numbers. against college teams and USHL teams were a bit lower than Connor's, as noted, this is a lot like Dylan Larkin the year before, who played behind Eichel as the #2 center and didn't get the first unit PP. First unit PP dramatically impacts your point totals. And given he was the team's top defensive center and PKer, this also impacts 2nd unit PP, because you can only play him so much (and US team is pretty stacked with forward depth). Playing second fiddle to Matthews - who was best U18 forward in the program's history - is nothing to feel bad about. That's what has a lot of scouts kicking themselves about Larkin. His #'s were supressed by the same situation a year earlier, and his offensive upside was clearly underappreciated.

What is interesting re his upside though is the international competition where he was going against the best of this draft class, for the most part. There he thrived, leading the U17's in scoring and really lighting it up at the U18's this year, while still playing on the 2nd line behind Matthews. That is no small accomplishments, and as noted, he tore apart Canada in the semi's and scored the goal medal winning goal in the final.

With his skating, he probably compares a bit more to a Matt Duchene or even a Toews type. Might not be that level of scorer, but there is no indication he won't be scoring line center at the NHL level, although his ETA is probably 3 to 4 years. The fact he is really good on faceoffs and good defensively seems be held against him. His primary strength is skating and he has shown he can put up big numbers if given the opportunity.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good skater, high compete level, strong two-way game, high hockey IQ.

Pretty much everyone says the same thing about him. Sounds like a good pick to me.

That's a good set of tools.

Now I wonder, is he trending to be a center or winger in the NHL? I love the idea of drafting tons of centers, as half of them tend to shift to wing in the pros...but they still have that extra little bit of knowledge and vision from playing center that helps to round out their game.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
That's a good set of tools.

Now I wonder, is he trending to be a center or winger in the NHL? I love the idea of drafting tons of centers, as half of them tend to shift to wing in the pros...but they still have that extra little bit of knowledge and vision from playing center that helps to round out their game.

He played wing as an underager at the U18's in 2014 - on a crazy deep team that included Eichel, Larkin, Matthews - but other than that, he has always been a center. Also seems to have some of key traits that keep guys at center in terms of pure skating, faceoffs and defensive acumen. For the NTDP program when he was 17, he was the #1 center on the PP, PK and the first guy out on shoot-outs for the team. He has consistently been one of the US program's top centers for his cohort.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He played wing as an underager at the U18's in 2014 - on a crazy deep team that included Eichel, Larkin, Matthews - but other than that, he has always been a center. Also seems to have some of key traits that keep guys at center in terms of pure skating, faceoffs and defensive acumen. For the NTDP program when he was 17, he was the #1 center on the PP, PK and the first guy out on shoot-outs for the team. He has consistently been one of the US program's top centers for his cohort.

Sounds good.

You can always convert a center to wing. It's a helluva lot harder to turn a winger into a center. So, logically, loading up on centers is a really smart thing to do.

x Karlsson x 65

Taste the Rainbow
Apr 21, 2014
Moncton
Don't know if this has been posted yet but I thought this was good, found it on Elite Prospects

A prolific scoring threat, Colin White is a strong 3-zone player with an eye for scoring chances. Thinks the game at a high level and always seeks to make an impact on the ice, with or without the puck. Never seems to be outbodied and is an exceptional skater. Puck-possession is definitely a strength. All-in-all, a skilled, 200-foot player that does all of the little things right and is able to make a large impact on the game and its outcome. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A prolific scoring threat, Colin White is a strong 3-zone player with an eye for scoring chances. Thinks the game at a high level and always seeks to make an impact on the ice, with or without the puck. Never seems to be outbodied and is an exceptional skater. Puck-possession is definitely a strength. All-in-all, a skilled, 200-foot player that does all of the little things right and is able to make a large impact on the game and its outcome. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

I can't see how, if you were reading that, you would be disappointed in drafting him.

I mean, just read that. I want that player on my team. How do you not want that player on your team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad