Post-Game Talk: 2015-2016 Washington Capitals @ 2009-2010 Washington Capitals 8:07PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
the habs won their second round series too. didn't they? good for toothless

Halak%20stop%20sign.jpg

When he came back to Earth, the Flyers disposed of the Habs easily. 6-0 in Game 1, 3-0 in Game 2.
Look at the skaters though:

F: Cammalleri, Plekanec, Metropolit, Gionta, Moen, Lapierre, Moore, A. Kostitsyn, Darche, Pouliot, Gomez, Pyatt.

D: Spacek, Gorges, Hamrlik, MA Bergeron, Gill, Subban

Outside of Cammalleri, that's a whole lot of nothing.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Guys, playoff hockey changes style of play. Teams scout, they play tighter. You don't win a cup with 2 lines and blah D and G.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
He used to be more physical at least.

There's no excuse for his refusal to shoot on the PP. That's the most annoying thing about his game at this point.

I don't know, the way Backstrom looked today is pretty how much I remember him in various playoff series over the years... I am not really seeing him avoiding contact, just not getting there fast enough... Maybe he used to be able to shield pucks for longer.. that would be a strange trait to lose.

About him shooting on the PP... I don't know that it would make much of a difference -- I don't really see him pass up some amazing shots there. Maybe if they got him to skate more to change angles... but that goes for the whole unit, IMO.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Backstrom used to be very strong on the puck, coming to the net with it and creating a lot of space for Ovechkin. When they were playing with Knuble, the defending teams had to swarm aroun the net not to allow any of them there. Now he's easily pushed out of the zone or forced to throw a blind pass for a turnover.
He also used to make very quick decisions, unlike now, when he circles for 20 seconds and then passes to the nearest player. It drives me nuts when Oshie or Ovechkin get the puck in a positionary attack, one-touch it to Nick, who then runs to his lair and skates circles there.
On the PP, he never even moves away from his circle road. He has the ability to make great passes and an excellent shot, but he plays the safest game like a soft 3rd liner who got a chance to play on the PP, is afraid of screwing everything up and inevitably screws everything up.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Backstrom used to be very strong on the puck, coming to the net with it and creating a lot of space for Ovechkin. When they were playing with Knuble, the defending teams had to swarm aroun the net not to allow any of them there. Now he's easily pushed out of the zone or forced to throw a blind pass for a turnover.
He also used to make very quick decisions, unlike now, when he circles for 20 seconds and then passes to the nearest player. It drives me nuts when Oshie or Ovechkin get the puck in a positionary attack, one-touch it to Nick, who then runs to his lair and skates circles there.
On the PP, he never even moves away from his circle road. He has the ability to make great passes and an excellent shot, but he plays the safest game like a soft 3rd liner who got a chance to play on the PP, is afraid of screwing everything up and inevitably screws everything up.

There's a solution to that. Promote Kuzy to PP1, force Nicky to step up his game by playing him away from #8 on the PP. At ES, the first line is fine by me. Could be marginally better. Kuzy is not as reluctant to shoot and has a quick wrist shot.

It baffles me how we have a player who loves shooting so much and two or three other players who are allergic to it.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Can't play like crud for 40 minutes and expect to dig your way out of it every time. Hope this loss is a good lesson for them. To their credit they almost made the comeback but close doesn't count.
Play better and don't abandon your goaltender like that.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Didn't get to see the game, but reading the GTD....holy cow. I would have thought we were Edm/Buf/Arz.

Carlson sucks, Backstrom sucks, Kuzy is now bad, Trotz is like Oates, Chimmi can't score, our defense is horrible, and the only reason we have our record is because the East sucks. Oh and Holtby has been slightly above average the last month and has lost the vezina.

We had a flat game. It happens. Dallas has had more flat games over this season then us. So has Detroit/Chicago/Florida/NYR/STL/LA on and on. By the sound of it we put in 15 minutes and lost on the road by 1. On top of that, I would take a seven game set vs Dallas for the cup tomorrow if it was offered. They are good, but we are a better team. Teams play up and down, but when the puck drops I'll put my money on the better team. Honestly the only team I would be hesitant to make us the favorites in a seven game series is Chicago.

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Didn't get to see the game, but reading the GTD....holy cow. I would have thought we were Edm/Buf/Arz.

Carlson sucks, Backstrom sucks, Kuzy is now bad, Trotz is like Oates, Chimmi can't score, our defense is horrible, and the only reason we have our record is because the East sucks. Oh and Holtby has been slightly above average the last month and has lost the vezina.

We had a flat game. It happens. Dallas has had more flat games over this season then us. So has Detroit/Chicago/Florida/NYR/STL/LA on and on. By the sound of it we put in 15 minutes and lost on the road by 1. On top of that, I would take a seven game set vs Dallas for the cup tomorrow if it was offered. They are good, but we are a better team. Teams play up and down, but when the puck drops I'll put my money on the better team. Honestly the only team I would be hesitant to make us the favorites in a seven game series is Chicago.

On paper.

Caps had issues with their speed. That's not just gonna go away. And to prove that they can deal with it, they have to show it. You can't just declare yourself to be better. Whether it was one bad game or a match-up problem -- we don't really know.

The one thing I can agree with -- this is definitely not the kind of game to single out individual players. Some lines struggled more than others (e.g. 1st), but basically the whole system was not working.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Well, when you look back, we were crushed after 2nd, but at the end, it's some details that costs us the game.

-Bura empty netter and then Seguin scores, 3-0 instead of 2-1
-Wilson's post
-Stupid 2 min by Laich, and this 5-on-3 goal is the GWG

We (fans mostly than the team) don't have to be affraid of Dallas in a potential SCF, because
1. They will be eliminated in the first round
2. Caps played hockey just for 15 minutes and almost win this one, so imagine if they play hockey for a full 60 minutes.

Things, I most affraid of in the SCF is
-VS LAK, their team
-VS CHI, not their team, but I'm affraid of officials, the NHL, dyansty mode, "they have to win it all", etc
-VS every possible team, the Wilson reputation on road games. WC officials know just #43 reputation.

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Honestly, I fear no team. The Capitals are the biggest obstacle for themselves. They are too used to play against bad teams.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I think Roussel can thank the refs for the slashing call on Orlov, in the second period.
Because if the play continues, Ovi kills him. :laugh:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
On paper.

Caps had issues with their speed. That's not just gonna go away. And to prove that they can deal with it, they have to show it. You can't just declare yourself to be better. Whether it was one bad game or a match-up problem -- we don't really know.

The one thing I can agree with -- this is definitely not the kind of game to single out individual players. Some lines struggled more than others (e.g. 1st), but basically the whole system was not working.

In the standings and I'm going to say playoffs, also.

Speed does go away. Teams tighten up.

The Stars gave a flat Caps team their best punch at home and barely won that game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There's a solution to that. Promote Kuzy to PP1, force Nicky to step up his game by playing him away from #8 on the PP. At ES, the first line is fine by me. Could be marginally better. Kuzy is not as reluctant to shoot and has a quick wrist shot.

It baffles me how we have a player who loves shooting so much and two or three other players who are allergic to it.

there is a reason kuzy is not on pp1. there is a reason why backstrom does what he does with the puck in broad strokes. why the power play plays the way it does. they are running a power play as designed by coaches to perform a certain way. backstrom may pass on the odd shot that the coaches would prefer that he take but largely he is running a planned and coached set of options.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The D is trending in the wrong direction. Now would be a good time for Orpik to come back so they can mix it up.

3+ goals allowed in their last 3 games. 3.09 GAA in their last 11, which goes back to the loss to Buffalo. 11 games is not a tiny sample size. That stretch does include games after long layoffs, including the 5 goals they gave up to Florida, so let's hope that explains some of it.

Fix it Barry.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
On paper.

I don't think it was as much an issue of speed as it was bad turnovers with guys out of position. On the first goal we had 3 guys, including Chorney, skating the wrong direction when Williams turned it over. Any team would have gotten a 2 on 1 out of that. Another goal Backstrom whiffs on a luck and it's another 2 on 1 with very little skating needed. Heck, Seguin had time to slow down before shooting.

I think the speed of their passes and speed of decision making was superior for sure. When we don't move the puck crisply opponents look fast. I don't think this can be laughed off as a flat game because it's been a pattern for how long now? It's just that middling teams have been unable to take advantage, but the Floridas and Dallas's can. I don't have a lot of confidence that we can win a cup with the puck in our end more than the opponents'.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't think it was as much an issue of speed as it was bad turnovers with guys out of position. On the first goal we had 3 guys, including Chorney, skating the wrong direction when Williams turned it over. Any team would have gotten a 2 on 1 out of that. Another goal Backstrom whiffs on a luck and it's another 2 on 1 with very little skating needed. Heck, Seguin had time to slow down before shooting.

I think the speed of their passes and speed of decision making was superior for sure. When we don't move the puck crisply opponents look fast. I don't think this can be laughed off as a flat game because it's been a pattern for how long now? It's just that middling teams have been unable to take advantage, but the Floridas and Dallas's can. I don't have a lot of confidence that we can win a cup with the puck in our end more than the opponents'.

The lesson yesterday was the following. Play with fire, and you will get burnt. The games against TB and NYR would've ended up the same way if not for our offensive firepower overwhelming them completely.

When you make neutral zone turnovers like Williams did yesterday, any team with just a little bit of speed will catch your defense flat footed. We have some of the best skaters in the league on the blue line. Orlov and Schmidt are terrific skaters, and no matter how well they skate, you can't ask them to recover in a situation like that.

It doesn't help that the Stars have ****ing Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin to make us pay for our neutral zone turnovers, but I guarantee the Caps won't repeat those mistakes. As Trotz said it, we self-destructed in the 2nd period. We handed the Stars the two points on a silver platter, just like Chimera handed Spezza the GWG on a silver platter 3 months ago.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Last night it was the second line (Williams and Burakovsky with the goals, Kuz with two assists), the previous game against the Wild it was the first line (Ovie with the hat trick), the game before that against Nashville it was the third line (Chimera, Wilson, MAJO all chipping in) and in the Flyers game it was two defenseman (Orlov and Niskanen on his rush up the middle). You might be able to shut down a line or perhaps two but they still have the depth to produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad