Post-Game Talk: 2015-2016 Washington Capitals @ 2009-2010 Washington Capitals 8:07PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Why is everyone saying that Dallas being like the 09-10 Caps is a bad thing?

I think they will do very well in the playoffs and possibly come out of the west. The only concerning thing to me is their goaltending and that they turtle way too much. I still think LA is the best team in the West, but Dallas is ahead of Chicago IMO

they are gonna run into chicago in the 2nd round assuming they beat st louis. dont see them beating chicago

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Its the regular season, who cares. A matchup problem in the SCF is a problem we can worry about later.

agree completely, theyve already pretty much beat up on everyone in the east (well not really florida but they got embarrassed tonight at home)

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I wouldn't mind it as TJ isn't a great finisher, but the problem on the 1st line is Nick. He should have a trip to another line just to get his head out of his ass and remember he's allowed to shoot and infiltrate the perimeter.

I'm not sure he's ever played like you want him to play. I think he pretty much always plays the same way. It's just less effective against faster teams.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Why is everyone saying that Dallas being like the 09-10 Caps is a bad thing?

I think they will do very well in the playoffs and possibly come out of the west. The only concerning thing to me is their goaltending and that they turtle way too much. I still think LA is the best team in the West, but Dallas is ahead of Chicago IMO

Dallas will get bounced quickly by the Kings or Hawks. These two are excellent possession teams with quality goaltending. Look, we put 23 shots on Lehtonen tonight and got 3 goals. He goes down so easily, same for Niemi.

Lehtonen: 2.79 GAA, .912SV%
Niemi: 2.52 GAA, .908SV%

The Kings in particular put a ton of shots on net and are very good at minimizing chances in their own end. We tried run and gun with a better team than the current Stars team, it didn't work. We had Ovi on pace for 125 pts, Backstrom with over 100 pts, Semin who scored 40 goals and was on pace for 94 pts, Green who scored at a PPG pace. All it took to make us fall was a hot goalie.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
they are gonna run into chicago in the 2nd round assuming they beat st louis. dont see them beating chicago

I could very easily see them beating Chicago unless they get bad goaltending which admittedly isn't out of the question given their options in net. I think Dallas is deeper and have just as much top end talent. The only clear advantage Chicago has is goaltending.

I'd say like 60/40 Dallas wins that series if/when it happens.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I could very easily see them beating Chicago unless they get bad goaltending which admittedly isn't out of the question given their options in net. I think Dallas is deeper and have just as much top end talent. The only clear advantage Chicago has is goaltending.

I'd say like 60/40 Dallas wins that series if/when it happens.

and a better defense imo

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Also, there are no big tests anymore for the Caps this regular season. No measuring stick games. None of that.

They're too far ahead to feel any real pressure and the team they play is almost always going to be more desperate.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm not sure he's ever played like you want him to play. I think he pretty much always plays the same way. It's just less effective against faster teams.
He used to be more physical at least.

There's no excuse for his refusal to shoot on the PP. That's the most annoying thing about his game at this point.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
sure ok, a game against one of the top teams in the league is just like playing the Oilers every night.

Mock me if you want, but I really do believe that's the mentality of winning teams. The opponent doesn't matter, you play your game and you have a chance to win every night. You won't win all the time because you can't win all the time, but you'll have chance. And learning to approach every game with intensity is essential.

EDIT: and for the record, the Oil beat them twice last season, so maybe that's not such a throw-away.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
agree with everyone here, against fast teams like Dallas TJ and Backy don't look good. Marcus, Chimera and even Galiev looked good in the first 2 periods when they got into zone with their speed on the left side.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Dallas will get bounced quickly by the Kings or Hawks. These two are excellent possession teams with quality goaltending. Look, we put 23 shots on Lehtonen tonight and got 3 goals. He goes down so easily, same for Niemi.

The Kings in particular put a ton of shots on net and are very good at minimizing chances in their own end. We tried run and gun with a better team than the current Stars team, it didn't work. We had Ovi on pace for 125 pts, Backstrom with over 100 pts, Semin who scored 40 goals and was on pace for 94 pts, Green who scored at a PPG pace. All it took to make us fall was a hot goalie.

I think I'd favor LA over Dallas, but I think I would favor Dallas over Chicago despite the goaltending disparity. Chicago isn't that great of a possession team this year and their forward depth isn't as good as Dallas's.

I just don't think Dallas is going to go down easy just because the Caps ran into a hot goalie 6 years ago.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
agree with everyone here, against fast teams like Dallas TJ and Backy don't look good. Marcus, Chimera and even Galiev looked good in the first 2 periods when they got into zone with their speed on the left side.

kinda going off topic but are there really an fast teams in east? if there are the caps seem to have handled them well

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014

All it takes for any team to fall is a hot goalie. What makes you think that the Stars are guaranteed a match-up against a hot goalie but the Capitals aren't?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think I'd favor LA over Dallas, but I think I would favor Dallas over Chicago despite the goaltending disparity. Chicago isn't that great of a possession team this year and their forward depth isn't as good as Dallas's.

I just don't think Dallas is going to go down easy just because the Caps ran into a hot goalie 6 years ago.

Chicago wins when it counts. They know how to close teams out in a series. Until they lose, they have to be the favorite in every series they're in.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
and a better defense imo

Yeah it's close though. I'm not thrilled with the non-Klingberg D on Dallas but I'm not thrilled with the non-Keith guys on Chicago either.

Of course I will be completely wrong and Dallas will lose to like the Avalanche in the first round!

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012

agree, they have good veteran players who were there before, plus i don't get the comparison with 09-10 Caps. They look much more physical, smarter and play more 'right way'

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Goaltending offsets whatever difference between their offense. Let's not forget the Hawks have been missing Panarin lately. Let's compare their defense now.

:hawks
Keith-Hjalmarsson
TVR-Seabrook
Svedberg-Roszival

:stars
Goligoski-Klingberg
Oduya-Demers
Nemeth-Benn

Clear advantage to the Hawks. Nemeth-Benn isn't NHL caliber.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah it's close though. I'm not thrilled with the non-Klingberg D on Dallas but I'm not thrilled with the non-Keith guys on Chicago either.

Of course I will be completely wrong and Dallas will lose to like the Avalanche in the first round!

just like i could be completely wrong when dallas beats chicago :)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
All it takes for any team to fall is a hot goalie. What makes you think that the Stars are guaranteed a match-up against a hot goalie but the Capitals aren't?

I never said that. I just highlighted how fragile our 2010 team was, despite the stellar regular season record. We lost to a toothless Habs team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad