Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Since deadline:
CehH3KkW8AALJil.jpg:large

Where is Gump?

Burmi really has upped his game since Ladds departure and him getting more ice time. Petan has looked much better now than he did during his first stint. Seems that time in the AHL really helped him out.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Friend did this, it's the expected Goal% of Jets/Thrashers with each tick being a different season and colour being a different coach:
screen.png

Everything after the blue is just another way of telling the story of Ondrej Pavelec, right?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Anyway to see other teams graphs over the same or similar period of time?

He hasn't released it yet.

I'd link it when he does, but it likely be HG which I can't link to as I have a vested interest in the site (although no financial as it generates no income) and I only am a partner through Jets Nation, not Hockey Graphs.

So, keep your eye out for a ctompkins article on HG in the next few weeks and you can link it. :P

I don't think the goalie would impact the "Expected Goals %".

Yes but they'd impact the difference between observed and expected goal%, which I think is his point.

White Out 403*

You mean to tell me Stuart and Pavelec are huge anchors on this team?

What?

It's honestly less fun being this right all the time. All the surprise and unknown of a lot of things are taken away. :sarcasm:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Vancouver Hockey Analytics Conference starts tomorrow. It will be streamed.
I'll be speaking ~10:15 PT on goaltending and the hot hand.

Spoiler: found no evidence of playing the hot hand is a good thing, especially with Pavelec.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Any update of the Jets penalty kill, now that Stuart is back? My sense was that it had improved during his departure and has bottomed out again with his return. What say you, numbers gods?

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
now the second worst special teams team, not the worst:
CfiWsjIWcAAO1K7.jpg

Thanks Garret, but I was curious about whether we can tease out the impact of Stuart In versus Stuart Out. I think I was able to come close here:

Stuart missed 18 games from Feb 16 to March 22, inclusive. During that time, the Jets gave up 11 PPG on 57 times shorthanded, for an 80.7% PK

Through the first chunk of the season the Jets gave up 45 goals on 203 chance, for a 77.8% PK

In the most recent chunk, with Stuart back on the PK, there have been 5 GA on 22 attempts, or 77.3%

In total then, the Jets killed penalties at a 77.8% clip when Stuart played a big role on the PK and 80.7% without.

If they had been able to kill penalties at that clip all season, they would have given up about 7 fewer goals on the PK.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Thanks Garret, but I was curious about whether we can tease out the impact of Stuart In versus Stuart Out. I think I was able to come close here:

Stuart missed 18 games from Feb 16 to March 22, inclusive. During that time, the Jets gave up 11 PPG on 57 times shorthanded, for an 80.7% PK

Through the first chunk of the season the Jets gave up 45 goals on 203 chance, for a 77.8% PK

In the most recent chunk, with Stuart back on the PK, there have been 5 GA on 22 attempts, or 77.3%

In total then, the Jets killed penalties at a 77.8% clip when Stuart played a big role on the PK and 80.7% without.

If they had been able to kill penalties at that clip all season, they would have given up about 7 fewer goals on the PK.

7 fewer goals *on average* equates to about 1 and a bit wins.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder if Garret is the analytics guy helping Lawless?

I appreciate that Gary actually takes his responsibility seriously because some of the writers (voters) seem to mail it in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad