www.hockey-graphs.com
Found this interesting:
Untitled.png

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Tyler Myers and Drew Stafford numbers are largely influenced by their Sabres numbers I assume.

I would hazard more "partly" than largely.

This uses impact on linemates, so the weakness of teammates impact should be severely diminished.

In addition, both had a fairly negative impact on teammates while they were Jets.

Context is always messy though, so my guess is that it is over estimating, slightly.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
That's an interesting representation...where is it from? I assume we can look at all of the teams in that fashion?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
In addition, both had a fairly negative impact on teammates while they were Jets.

I disagree. I think Myers had a positive impact on teammates.

CF% with and without Myers
Enstrom: with 53.0, without 51.2
Ladd: with 53.9, without 53.6
Scheifele: with 60.4, without 54.5
Frolik: with 57.0, without 54.0
Chiarot: with 56.1, without 53.2

Note: I've used a filter to get these numbers. Only the parts of the season when Stafford was not on the ice count.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Do we really think that Trouba was a net negative, or will continue to be?

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Somehow this doesn't make sense. This garret,... always putting up wrong numbers. I have no idea how they can feature his tweets on nhlnumbers.com.

:sarcasm:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I assume Trouba was dragged down by Stuart?

This surprises me - I would have thought it was just the Sabres numbers bringing them down.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I disagree. I think Myers had a positive impact on teammates.

CF% with and without Myers
Enstrom: with 53.0, without 51.2
Ladd: with 53.9, without 53.6 (this is essentially the same at that sample)
Scheifele: with 60.4, without 54.5
Frolik: with 57.0, without 54.0
Chiarot: with 56.1, without 53.2

Note: I've used a filter to get these numbers. Only the parts of the season when Stafford was not on the ice count.

You might want to dig deeper than that.

Myers has the lowest Corsi of the Jets defense Feb11-present.
Myers has the lowest relative Corsi of the Jets defense Feb 11-present.

The relative Corsi is the more concerning one in this case than just singling out some WOWYs.

However, for fun, if we do want to dissect some of those WOWYs:
* Enstrom's WOWY without was 1.5 games with Trouba (Myers injured in game) and one game (Jets last game) with Pardy. Also, Enstrom had a 54.5 Corsi with Trouba when looking over the whole season.
* Forward WOWY with D are something you want to be very wary with as you can actually get significant deployment/context dichotomies.
* Chiarots doesn't make sense to me. I get that too from puckalytics but then I look at this: http://thenationnetwork.s3.amazonaw...icle_85970313-f95d-4fcf-a381-607526ee6c05.png

Personally I think this is the better one, looking at isolating with Enstrom when with top line:
article_ff64995f-aa00-41de-be2d-b98984bf9a62.png

Trouba was around 56 IIRC.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Rick Ralph quoted Garret on the round table today and discussed this U shaped graph. Thought he explained it well and also emphasised how Huddy is a big Enstrom fan.

Good to see Toby get some love after the post season "who should go" Sun Poll proved how brain dead a small sample size of Winnipeg Hockey fans are.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Rick Ralph quoted Garret on the round table today and discussed this U shaped graph. Thought he explained it well and also emphasised how Huddy is a big Enstrom fan.

Good to see Toby get some love after the post season "who should go" Sun Poll proved how brain dead a small sample size of Winnipeg Hockey fans are.

In the end, it's just one model.

While I think it shows some valid things, it's not much that we all haven't seen already.

If you want my positive spin:
* Burmi is set as 0 as an unknown, but I bet he'll be better since when he was in NHL he was slightly more positive impact than Lowry in the same numbers.
* Byfuglien includes his TOI as a forward and defender, and we all know he is much, much better as a defender (or at least hopefully all know this by now)
* Hutch could take more TOI/GP from Pavelec

I expect some players improve, and some get worse, but those above are outliers where I think the model may miss substantially and impact beyond "some better, some worse".

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
* Enstrom's WOWY without was 1.5 games with Trouba (Myers injured in game) and one game (Jets last game) with Pardy. Also, Enstrom had a 54.5 Corsi with Trouba when looking over the whole season.
* Forward WOWY with D are something you want to be very wary with as you can actually get significant deployment/context dichotomies.

First point: I've used whole season WOWYs.
Second point: I'd argue that that's true for every single WOWY stat.

The rest are good points.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
First point: I've used whole season WOWYs.
Second point: I'd argue that that's true for every single WOWY stat.

The rest are good points.

1) I misread your odd filter choice haha
2) Not necessarily true by the same extent, it is true in part though. This is why WOWYs are used the way they are currently as trend markers.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Found this interesting:
Untitled.png

Single-number player evaluations are always flawed (in some way), but they are always interesting to test your model and to look how different models perform.

Let me point out the (in my opinion) biggest flaws of this specific model:
ANA Josh Mason +3.99 (he will struggle to get a roster spot)
ARI Tye McGinn +2.95 (sorry, but he plays for TBL. Also, a 4th liner doesn't have that kind of impact.)
BUF Zach Bogosian -6.39 (ok, he's not too good, but is he that bad?)
CGY Michael Frolik +4.95 vs Mark Giordano +2.81 (Giordano clearly has a bigger impact)
CHI Corey Crawford +6.46 (they're using some weighted 4-year sample size, I think, but I don't believe in that number)
CHI David Rundblad +4.28 (yeah, no.)
COL Erik Johnson -2.64 (really?)
EDM Cam Talbot +9.18 (clearly, goalie sample size is not implemented)
LAK Jake Muzzin +6.04 vs Drew Doughty +1.47 (again: Doughty away from Muzzin played shutdown minutes with close-to-retiring Regehr. Muzzin away from Doughty played offensive minutes with Greene.)
MIN Mikko Koivu +4.15 (not looking at deployment)
MTL Jeff Petry -4.26 (Edmonton effect?! I don't know.)
VAN Jacob Markstrom -13.97 (yikes, what kind of icetime did you assign to that poor guy?)

All things considered, it looks pretty good, though, for a single-number player evaluation model.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I like to look at absolutes.

NHL all-star team according to that model:

Tomas Tatar - Patrice Bergeron - Brendan Gallagher
Daniel Sedin - Jonathan Toews - Vladimir Tarasenko
James Neal - Anze Kopitar - Reilly Smith
Brad Marchand - Michael Frolik - Max Pacioretty
Jaromir Jagr, Carl Hagelin, Patrik Elias

Jake Muzzin - Anton Stralman
Olli Maatta - Duncan Keith
Brian Campbell - David Rundblad

Tuukka Rask
Carey Price

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Another model for this coming season:
COUpxOHUwAElE3w.png

http://t.co/JU1lo5NMDg

Once again Tyler Myers looks worse than bad in these "advanced" stats. When you first posted to the effect that he might not have been quite as good as everybody was thinking I was a little surprised but OK, that is what statistical analysis is for. This seems to be a perfect case for examining a difference between advanced statistical analysis and the eye-test. Such a wide difference is a little hard to accept. That he was not quite as good as he seemed OK but this shows him to be our worst D man by a wide margin. How is that possible? If these stats are giving an accurate picture we need to alter our thinking going forward. Keep Buff and trade Myers for instance.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Have to remember that worst impact /= worst, especially with these numbers.
ex: Harisson's GAR is likely better than Myers, but his GAR/60 is worse.

And, while people over exaggerate the impact of being on Buffalo, it is still an impact.

I don't expect Myers to ever be Buff good, and Trouba IMO is already better, but I bet that Myers will look better than Stuart, Harrison, or Pardy this year.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Have to remember that worst impact /= worst, especially with these numbers.
ex: Harisson's GAR is likely better than Myers, but his GAR/60 is worse.

And, while people over exaggerate the impact of being on Buffalo, it is still an impact.

I don't expect Myers to ever be Buff good, and Trouba IMO is already better, but I bet that Myers will look better than Stuart, Harrison, or Pardy this year.

It is not just this particular analysis though. You have posted several different things showing him to be varying degrees of bad and I'm pretty sure that in some you filtered Buffalo out.

I'm not challenging you or what you have posted on Myers. I'm asking for a reason for the discrepancy between stats and eye-test. I'm unable to come up with a satisfactory one. I hope you can. Maybe larger sample size will eliminate the discrepancy. That is the best I can come up with.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It is not just this particular analysis though. You have posted several different things showing him to be varying degrees of bad and I'm pretty sure that in some you filtered Buffalo out.

I'm not challenging you or what you have posted on Myers. I'm asking for a reason for the discrepancy between stats and eye-test. I'm unable to come up with a satisfactory one. I hope you can. Maybe larger sample size will eliminate the discrepancy. That is the best I can come up with.

Just since this is brought up, people need to remember it's not discrepancy between stats and eye-test but discrepancy between stats and YOUR eye-test.

I see how and why Stafford is how he is.

I see how and why Enstrom and Byfuglien are what they are.

I see it with Myers too. Not being terrible, but why he's not to the same level of Trouba or Byfuglien.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just since this is brought up, people need to remember it's not discrepancy between stats and eye-test but discrepancy between stats and YOUR eye-test.

I see how and why Stafford is how he is.

I see how and why Enstrom and Byfuglien are what they are.

I see it with Myers too. Not being terrible, but why he's not to the same level of Trouba or Byfuglien.

OK, rephrase. There is a discrepancy between your evaluation (stat & eye) and a widely held eye-test. It is far from mine alone. In fact I was probably among the less impressed with Myers group (still positively impressed but less so than many). Unless there is a silent majority here it is the consensus opinion that he was great or at least very good.

Chaosmonkey

Sep 15, 2011
Co-worker showed me this infographic today. Between the two of us, we have no idea what the GAR and GAR/60 stat represent. A little help for us less advanced stats guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad