2015-2016 Statistical And Underlying Metrics Thread

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Fun work on the charts over at OtP. I know we have previously talked about Myers time in Buffalo hurting his numbers....

Cj9V62BUYAAHzI2.jpg

Graph has -2.7, +0.4, -1.6 for his weighted relCorsi numbers.
If we look his full time with Jets only: -2.9, 0.0, -1.3.

Graph has scoring 0.3, 0.2, 0.5.
Time as Jet 0.4, 0.3, 0.7.

Interesting stuff. Looks like the weighted values do a pretty good job.
(that and we use these statistics over raw Corsi, plus/minus, PPG, or scoring totals because they tend to persist more when changing teams)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fun work on the charts over at OtP. I know we have previously talked about Myers time in Buffalo hurting his numbers....

Cj9V62BUYAAHzI2.jpg

(that and we use these statistics over raw Corsi, plus/minus, PPG, or scoring totals because they tend to persist more when changing teams)

Compared to Bogo there are a few differences but all-in-all it looks like pretty near equal value between the two.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A tale of two seasons...

Cj9V62BUYAAHzI2.jpg

Very interesting....

I've remarked before about how I thought that Myers' play was improving over time with the Jets. He seemed to either be settling in with his partners / team-mates, or maybe settling into the Jets system.

Looking at the shot metrics, it certainly does seem that Myers' play has been on an improving trajectory since joining the Jets. It will be interesting to see how he performs coming into his second full season with the Jets and their system.

View attachment 90241

View attachment 90243

View attachment 90245

Last edited:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Very interesting....

I've remarked before about how I thought that Myers' play was improving over time with the Jets. He seemed to either be settling in with his partners / team-mates, or maybe settling into the Jets system.

Looking at the shot metrics, it certainly does seem that Myers' play has been on an improving trajectory since joining the Jets. It will be interesting to see how he performs coming into his second full season with the Jets and their system.

View attachment 90241

View attachment 90243

View attachment 90245

I wonder if that huge spike around January coincides with when he started playing with Toby

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Very interesting....

View attachment 90241

View attachment 90243

View attachment 90245

By end of his contract he'll be a 80% Corsi player. ;)

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
So it looks like his actual production is very good, but his predictive stats (shot rates) are poor. Is there a disconnect for Tyler? Has he always outperformed his corsi?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Chiarot Stuart might have been the least effective pairing in Jets 2.0 history.

Corsi below 42% over 209 minutes - that's a lot of games. Benny was over 51% apart. Poor Benny.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Corsi below 42% over 209 minutes - that's a lot of games. Benny was over 51% apart. Poor Benny.

Ben is the type of player who is ok if he's being carried by his partner, but can't seem to stand on his own. Granted I don't wish Stuart on anyone but ideally we have someone in the lineup who isn't reliant on his partner.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Worse than Stuart-Harrison?

I almost blew a gasket two seasons ago when Maurice came up with that horrendous pairing.

Basically, any pairing of Stuart with a not fantastic partner is going to be a tire fire.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Worse than Stuart-Harrison?

I almost blew a gasket two seasons ago when Maurice came up with that horrendous pairing.

Basically, any pairing of Stuart with a not fantastic partner is going to be a tire fire.

Good call. Harri-uart was below 37% - Keaton Ellerby was around 41. Stu + Benny happened more than the other two combined though.

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners
Not sure if this has been discussed here or not but what are you thoughts on the following

https://public.tableau.com/profile/sean.tierney#!/vizhome/NZScores/Dashboard1

My thoughts are that Pittsburgh is crushing San Jose despite their D being not even close to as good, outside of Letang.
If you isolate just Pit and SJ on the graph, it tells you just about what you'd have expected to see before any of the game were played. To see that it HAS played out that way, and that SJ is still getting beat, makes me think that I don't know anything about what's important in winning hockey games.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Are any sites producing data for the WCH?

Is it time for a 2016/17 version of this thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad