Proposal: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Isn't it a bit unusual that they would only have one team join the NHL in an expansion draft? Is there not any talk of another Western team also joining the NHL at the same time as Las Vegas? The East has 16 teams & the West has 14 teams, isn't a bit weird that they would have 15 teams? What about Seattle or Portland?

Seattle has no arena, but it's no secret that's the NHL's top target as far as future expansion is concerned. Paul Allen owns the Portland Trail Blazers and (presumably) their arena, and it seems like he has no interest in expansion and would opt for a relocated team if it ever came to that.

The NHL clearly has no issue with an "unbalanced" league as shown by having two more teams in the East this season, so I don't see why only adding one at a time is going to be an issue with them.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Still - it will be a little odd to have an odd number of teams.

Offhand I can't think of a league with an odd number of teams. NFL 32, NBA 30, MLB 30.

Almost all of the major soccer leagues in Europe (and the MLS here) have 18 or 20 teams.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Still - it will be a little odd to have an odd number of teams.

Offhand I can't think of a league with an odd number of teams. NFL 32, NBA 30, MLB 30.

Almost all of the major soccer leagues in Europe (and the MLS here) have 18 or 20 teams.

I mean even the divisions are jacked up. The whole thing is a mess. 32 teams would be logical.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Seattle has no arena, but it's no secret that's the NHL's top target as far as future expansion is concerned. Paul Allen owns the Portland Trail Blazers and (presumably) their arena, and it seems like he has no interest in expansion and would opt for a relocated team if it ever came to that.

Seattle residents throw out major roadblocks in having their government taxes pay for sports.

They got Initiative 91 passed which doesnt allow the Gov to hand ownership of a sports franchise a penny to help with an arena.

I hate it partly because Seattle would still have the Sonics and had an NHL team years ago, but I understand it.

Sports leagues are businesses, and there shouldnt be a dime given to any team anywhere.

And Paul Allen has gone on record saying he would be open to getting a team via relocation. Rumor was there were trucks sitting in Phoenix waiting to move the team to Portland but it fell through.

And hes a known cheapo. I dont blame him either. You could get a team for 500 mil, or you could get a team for most likely half that...probably in the 100's actually if it were Phoenix or Carolina. Its a good business decision.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Seattle residents throw out major roadblocks in having their government taxes pay for sports.

They got Initiative 91 passed which doesnt allow the Gov to hand ownership of a sports franchise a penny to help with an arena.

I hate it partly because Seattle would still have the Sonics and had an NHL team years ago, but I understand it.

Sports leagues are businesses, and there shouldnt be a dime given to any team anywhere.

And Paul Allen has gone on record saying he would be open to getting a team via relocation. Rumor was there were trucks sitting in Phoenix waiting to move the team to Portland but it fell through.

And hes a known cheapo. I dont blame him either. You could get a team for 500 mil, or you could get a team for most likely half that...probably in the 100's actually if it were Phoenix or Carolina. Its a good business decision.

With the financial state that the Coyotes and Hurricanes seem to be in I don't understand why more potential owners don't take that hardball stance. If Arizona moves int he next couple of years Portland seems like the only option (outside of QC, but that would be moving a western team tot he east and would be a logistical nightmare).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Actually, I kinda like the idea of adding one team at a time. It give the chance for other teams in the league to adust their rosters a bit after expansion (as they'll only lose one player). It's not as much of a shock to the system. Not like the Ottawa & Florida waves where teams over-compensated by bringing in the dead puck era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad