Proposal: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I wonder if the expansion draft coming up may cause gms to be take caution when it comes to trades.

Right now the Sens will protect Karlsson, Ceci and Phaneuf (NMC). If hypothetically they traded for another defenseman in the offseason, they would have to leave him unprotected and just hope for the best. Same thing goes for ufa signings this year.

This expansion draft may screw up the Sens.

They finally get a solid top 4 and then the expansion draft may take that away.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
I wonder if the expansion draft coming up may cause gms to be take caution when it comes to trades.

Right now the Sens will protect Karlsson, Ceci and Phaneuf (NMC). If hypothetically they traded for another defenseman in the offseason, they would have to leave him unprotected and just hope for the best. Same thing goes for ufa signings this year.

I think given that pretty much every team will have at least 1 top 4 d-man unprotected, that Methot would probably not be picked. There will undoubtedly be better and younger guys available.

Even if he were in danger of being picked, give his chemistry with Karlsson, contract, and ties to the Ottawa area it wouldn't surprise me if we traded the expansion team(s) something to ensure that he wouldn't be picked. Same type of thing that happened the last expansion draft. Methot is much more valuable to us than to other teams.

Apart from a bottom pair LD to play with Wideman, I can't see us making a move for another d-man. At this point a d upgrade is nice to have but not necessary. Our top 4 is pretty much set and there are other far more pressing needs.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
An expansion is long overdue and were clearly in the NHL's plans when they realigned the conferences. Shouldn't have taken this long IMO. That being said, I think we are relatively safe. I forget what the NHLPA agreed to, but it should be easy enough to protect our core with the 8 players, especially if ELC are protected as well, may be the best time to be in a rebuild mode.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Micklebot said:
To be fair, I think Karlsson drags everyone's average up a bit, but I agree our top 6 is very good, but could use that #1 focal point guy that we really haven't had since Spezza had back surgery and just wasn't up to it anymore.

That's a possibly I've considered in the past. But as long as he's here, then everybody is working together to produce those numbers.

I see similarity developing compared to the amount of offensive depth of the pre-lockout Sens teams.

Year - NHL forward scoring rank
1999 – 6, 48, 72, 85
2000 – 49, 52, 60, 62, 73
2001 – 12, 32, 40, 44, 63
2002 – 19, 22, 38, 83, 87
2003 – 14, 17, 51, 53, 75
2004 – 5, 7, 24, 52, 94, 100

2015 – 32, 33, 69, 85, 96
2016 – 35, 43, 56, 81 (maybe Turris could have finished in the 30's again this season)

The positive here for me is that while nobody is hitting those highs, I don't think that the "Bonk & White" ranked players (Ryan & Zibby?) are being carried by a Hossa & Alfredsson (Stone and Turris our the current best). Also, we may get to keep the new Havlat (Hoffman) instead of developing him for other teams.

I think given that pretty much every team will have at least 1 top 4 d-man unprotected, that Methot would probably not be picked. There will undoubtedly be better and younger guys available.

Lots of teams don't have 4 capable top 4 d-men, so they won't have one available.
Some will have exempt top-4 d-men. Some d-men will become UFA's and won't need to be protected. We'll be one of the few teams with 4 good d-men, who are controlled beyond next season.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
About Mac and the expansion.

I don't think you can put a player with a no-trade clause on the unprotected list.

Can someone confirm it?

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
But what about players with a NMC and a modified-NTC? ala Bobby Ryan

Trick question: we don't know the answer.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But what about players with a NMC and a modified-NTC? ala Bobby Ryan

Trick question: we don't know the answer.

I'm going to guess that they can be left unprotected, as the intent of his clause wasn't to prevent any movement at all, but rather to give him more control over his destination.

That said, I can see the players union lawyering up and arguing that the NMC makes x player ineligible, so they'll probably have to battle that one out, but in the end I feel that they wont need to be protected.

I do wonder though if a player can waive his NMC to allow a team to leave him unprotected? Could that be a thing?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Would be fitting, I am sure other teams have suffered as well but it seems like any time the league makes larger decisions we get jobbed here in Ottawa (lockouts and salary cap come immediately to mind)

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The 2016 RFA offet sheet compensation salary levels were released today.

[Tweet]731124825746513920[/MEDIA]

That looks like its actually worth offer sheeting players now.

What happens if a team offers Hoffman 6 x 5.630mil? We probably can't match that term and only get a 1st + 3rd.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
That looks like its actually worth offer sheeting players now.

What happens if a team offers Hoffman 6 x 5.630mil? We probably can't match that term and only get a 1st + 3rd.

Yeah that's my first impression too.. Is a 1st and third too much to give for a guy like Hoffman? I don't think so..

Up to 3.7 only a second pick. I could see someone going after Lazar for that price.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Well it's up to 3.7

Just has to be over 1.8, I guess we can always match, but I'm not sure to how high.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah that's my first impression too.. Is a 1st and third too much to give for a guy like Hoffman? I don't think so..

Up to 3.7 only a second pick. I could see someone going after Lazar for that price.
With sens scputing we can probably get a better player than lazar in the second. Although that same staff selected lazar in the firs t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig