They're easy to remember guesstimates based on:
30-ish
Stone's past two seasons
Turris last season

50-ish
Hoffman this season
Ryan every season

80-ish
Zibanejad this season, well last season too.

To be fair, I think Karlsson drags everyone's average up a bit, but I agree our top 6 is very good, but could use that #1 focal point guy that we really haven't had since Spezza had back surgery and just wasn't up to it anymore.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I appreciate the work and thought process that went into this. :handclap:

I nevertheless, disagree.

1) The Sens do not lack elite top-6 talent; they ooze top-6 talent. They may lack 1 focal player, but have the forwards to finish 30th, 31st , 50th, 51st and 80th in scoring. That's way above average... and scoring was not the problem this season despite key injuries to MacArthur and Turris up front.

2) MacArthur is barely a prominent player on this team and they could live without him. We already 5 better top-6 forwards than him. A smarter strategy is not to replace a healthy MacArthur with a better and more expensive winger. It's to play MacArthur in the role he was signed for and hope that he has a healthy & productive enough season to be selected in the expansion draft so that we can get that contract off of our books.

3) All of this is about forwards, why? We might walk away from Wiercioch, our bottom pairing could use work and we'll eventually need a long term solution in goal. D & G are more important areas for this team to address in the next 14 months than scoring winger.

Wiercioch and Cowen were trying to be top-4 d-men on a team that was missing a #2. They were also trying to refine their games with another young kid who was trying to get his game together.

The position is not very important to our success anymore because we have 5 better offensive forwards ahead of him. He is our 10th-12th best player.

Top-6 / Top-4 / #1
Best forward, best D-man, #1 goalie... great places to use cap space.
#2-4 forwards & #2-3 D-men... good places to use cap space.
#5-6 forwards & #4 d-men... not so good places to spend cap space.

2nd line LW is literally the least important of all of those 11 positions (I pick on LW because it is typically barren of talent). Next most useless is 2nd line RW, because defensemen and centers usually have more impact.

These are our top-11 players at those key positions. These are the players who help us win. The only deals longer than 3 more years are highlighted:

23 Stone 75-23-38-61 (2 x $3.5)
26 Turris 57-13-17-30 (2 x $3.5)
26 Hoffman 78-29-30-59 (RFA)
29 B. Ryan 81-22-34-56 (6 x $7.25)
31 MacArthur 4-0-0-0 (4 x $4.65)
23 Zibanejad 81-21-30-51 (1 x $2.63)

25 Karlsson 82-16-66-82 (3 x $6.5)
31 Phaneuf 71-4-28-32 (5 x $7.0)
22 Ceci 75-10-16-26 (RFA)
30 Methot 69-5-7-12 (3 x $4.9)

34 Anderson 60 (31-23-5) 2.78, 0.916 (2 x $4.2)

Now start thinking about importance to winning. Are Ryan and MacArthur closer to the top or the bottom of your list? ... because two 2nd line wingers are almost always going to be closer to the bottom of my list. 2nd line wing is where I fill out my roster, not where I sign people to silly long term contracts. It's where I save money to spend on more important positions. It's where I give talented rookies a chance to compete for an offensive role. Having one of these contracts isn't that big a deal, but having two sucks. Signed a 3rd big money player to a long term deal in such an important position and you're looking at crunch down the line that costs you a Stone, Karlsson, Hoffman, Zibanejad or a #1 goalie.

I'm with you on us having elite forward talent. I think Stone and Hoffman are such and certainly Ryan and Turris have the ability.

I'm also interested in Ottawa acquiring a young stud future #1 goalie over the next year as well.

What I don't agree with is your take on Macarthur. A healthy Macarthur is a guy who can play on our top line, PK and PP. He's well worth his cap hit and part of the solution if he regains health and form. He might not put up 60 points or score 30 goals but he's immensely valuable even as our LW2. Would hate to lose him in an expansion draft but if he's at a risk for that then it means he's had a great season and I can live with that.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I think the necessary strategy this offseason ....

Steve Ott or Mike Richards please.

Agreed on this.

Listening to Dorion on team 1200 this morning, he said they would be looking to experienced role players on July 1st.

We cannot rely of our prospects to take a step forward this year.

Having done that the last 2 years, once with success, last year a resounding not...

I have a feeling PD will do things differently than BM on a lot of things.

What he said about not rushing prospects is the most important one. Maybe Lazar would have been sent down two years ago.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Steve Ott or Mike Richards please.

I have a feeling PD will do things differently than BM on a lot of things.

What he said about not rushing prospects is the most important one. Maybe Lazar would have been sent down two years ago.

ott is very meh and richards looked very slow in the playoffs

if we are looking for that type of player might as well pay up and get shaw in a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad