Proposal: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Do we want another Ryan's contract situation? That was close to a fan **** storm exploding. Also a year of over analyzing Ryan.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Again, what happens if Shattenkirk leaves in a year? We'd be giving up enormous value for absolutely nothing in that scenario. Trading Hoffman +, or Ceci and Lazar + for Shattenkirk has such enormous downside that it's clearly a move we should stay away from.

What if Hoffman only resigns for a one year contract?? In that case - a very possible situation - he'd appear even less likely to resign.

I don't see a whole lot that would attract a guy like Shattenkirk to re-sign here long-term. He'd be playing on the 2nd pairing on a budget team in a non-attractive city outside of his home country, and he'd probably have to take a pay cut to stay here, as it's doubtful we have the money to match what other, more desperate teams could offer for his services.

Shattenkirk currently plays 2nd pairing. We heard the same arguments about Bobby Ryan, fact is this team treats its players extremely well and has a reputation for doing so. Shattenkirk would instantly enter our leadership core as an important piece. As I addressed above, money is not a concern whatsoever. We have a ton opening up, and that money should absolutely be spent on D.

Finally, there's a team more desperate for a high end DMan than we are? News to me.

Think about it this way, if Shattenkirk was a UFA, what are the chances that he'd sign here? I'd estimate the probability to be pretty close to zero.

So all the complaints against Murray not getting a top 4 D are completely moot? If we offer him as much as any other team, he'd absolutely consider us. We're one of the few teams that will be able to offer him a big contract without worrying about losing any top players. I see no reason to back up your claims.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If we're looking at a defenseman from St.Louis, a smarter acquisition target would be Carl Gunnarsson. Probably isn't going to re-sign with the Blues, so he might be available for trade.

Just a smart, poised defensive LD that can be trusted to log minutes without making mistakes. Could be a good partner for Karlsson.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Hoffman will get a longterm contract or be traded as an RFA, No 1 or 2 year contract.

Bobby Ryan got an increased role that he wanted. Shattenkirk wouldn't.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
If we're looking at a defenseman from St.Louis, a smarter acquisition target would be Carl Gunnarsson. Probably isn't going to re-sign with the Blues, so he might be available for trade.

Just a smart, poised defensive LD that can be trusted to log minutes without making mistakes. Could be a good partner for Karlsson.

Gunnarsson is a good short term option, but he's just another guy we'd be looking to upgrade on in a year or two. Just like basically everyone else except Karlsson.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Bobby Ryan got an increased role that he wanted. Shattenkirk wouldn't.

Shattenkirk has given no indication that he's unhappy with his role, and he also probably would get an expanded role in a lot of ways. He'd still get big PP minutes, and he'd be relied on more elsewhere.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
going for a RHD D is a bit weird. Certainly there could be a benefit in the future providing leadership on the 2nd pairing and pushing Ceci down.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What if Hoffman only resigns for a one year contract?? In that case - a very possible situation - he'd appear even less likely to resign.

If there was a decent chance of that situation coming to fruition I would hope Murray would have the foresight to trade Hoffman for assets before it happened. I am assuming you are talking about Hoffman going to arbitration again, because if he is re-signed it will almost certainly be on a long-term contract. Given how poorly Hoffman fared the last time he went that route, I have a hard time believing he'd elect for arbitration again.

Shattenkirk currently plays 2nd pairing. We heard the same arguments about Bobby Ryan, fact is this team treats its players extremely well and has a reputation for doing so. Shattenkirk would instantly enter our leadership core as an important piece. As I addressed above, money is not a concern whatsoever. We have a ton opening up, and that money should absolutely be spent on D.

Finally, there's a team more desperate for a high end DMan than we are? News to me.

Shattenkirk does play on the 2nd pairing in St.Louis, but he probably isn't going to re-sign in St.Louis, which is a major reason why he may be traded, so doesn't that work against your argument? In regards to Ryan, we had to give him fair market value, or possibly even more than that to keep him here long-term. If we were to do that for Shattenkirk, we'd be looking at 7M+ long-term, which just doesn't work for us capwise, given that we have to re-sign Hoffman, Turris, Stone and Zibanejad pretty soon.

And yes there are teams that need a top pairing RD more than the Sens, a team with the best RD in the game, and a promising future down the right side with Karlsson, Ceci and Wideman all being right-shot defensemen that are a part of our future plans.

So all the complaints against Murray not getting a top 4 D are completely moot? If we offer him as much as any other team, he'd absolutely consider us. We're one of the few teams that will be able to offer him a big contract without worrying about losing any top players. I see no reason to back up your claims.

Murray has had opportunities to acquire a top 4 D (as someone already suggested: Leddy, Petry, Boychuk etc..). He doesn't have to go out and gut this team's young depth and handicap us financially in order to acquire a defenseman.

I simply don't think it's a good idea to deal a package of large value for a player that is nowhere near a lock to remain here long-term. We're not at a contending level just yet, so making a risky deal for a top defenseman just doesn't make sense.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
shattenkirk could be amazing pick up here. Having Karlsson on one pairing and Shatty on another would give us 2 top 10 defenders on each pairing. Methot with one, Claesson with the other.

However, I do agree Gunnarsson would be great stop gap until Chabot ready.

Gunnarsson is a very steady and legit top 4 D guy. Could actually be excellent with Erik and find bigger gear to his game with him.

Gunnarsson-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Boro/Claesson-Wideman

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Shattenkirk has given no indication that he's unhappy with his role, and he also probably would get an expanded role in a lot of ways. He'd still get big PP minutes, and he'd be relied on more elsewhere.
He's also given no indication he's happy with his role. That's why I'm trying to logically guess based on past players in similar situations.

If the Blues trade Shattenkirk because they don't think they can re-sign him, the Sens sure won't be re-signing him.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
But first name a top 6 C we can realistically acquire.

Call me crazy, but i've been souring on the kid for a while now.

He is just a zombie on skates out there...no compete or spine. I would honestly rather have a Mike Fisher esque player there as my 2C even if Zib scored 10-15 more points yearly.

I think having Wiercioch as your 2nd pair RD is more of a detriment than having someone like Pageau at the 2C spot.

At least you can insulate the 2C with quality wingers like Ryan, Hoffman, or Stone who can create chances themselves, but the same cant be said when you are paired with Ceci. Ceci needs a quality partner more than someone like Hoffman needs a quality center.

Its trading a weakness for a weakness, but its a lesser one to me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's also given no indication he's happy with his role. That's why I'm trying to logically guess based on past players in similar situations.

If the Blues trade Shattenkirk because they don't think they can re-sign him, the Sens sure won't be re-signing him.

When we had Redden and Chara, they played on different pairs. When the ducks had Niedermayer and Pronger, they played on different pairs.

You don't have to load up your two best players on the same line to have them be happy with their roles. Having two #1 quality pairings is better for both guys imo. They split mins and both get to be "the guy" on their respective pair.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Guys I can think of that might be realistic because of age, contract status or a combination:

Enstrom.
Phaneuf
Goligoski
Edler

Enstrom would be perfect if not for his age. If he was 3-4 years younger it would be a perfect swap.

If Toronto would retain some salary on Phaneuf I would do it. He takes too much flak for trying to carry a very mediocore group up there. He would thrive on the 2nd pair in Ottawa.

Someone like Scandella would take more than Zib I am sure. I doubt he is moved either considering Minny's place in the standings. Maybe one of the Devils promising young defenseman like Merrill, Gelinas, or Severson would make sense for both teams?

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Isnt he in the minors and like 100 years old?

he was on a PTO in the AHL and he just left because he apparently signed an NHL deal. He's 37 so yaaaa.... hes old but he was a 20 min a night dman last year. Maybe he can hold down a minor role as a vet d. He's been pretty healthy too

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
When we had Redden and Chara, they played on different pairs. When the ducks had Niedermayer and Pronger, they played on different pairs.

You don't have to load up your two best players on the same line to have them be happy with their roles. Having two #1 quality pairings is better for both guys imo. They split mins and both get to be "the guy" on their respective pair.

True but none of those players got into that situation as a UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad