2015-2016 Roster Talk: Kings Have no Elite Players Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
There's a light at the end of the Dustin Brown Crappy Contract Tunnel. And that light is called ........ "NHL Expansion Draft"......

if the league only expands one team (Vegas) do you really think they will take Brown.
I am sure they will be able to build a more competitive team out of reserves. I was holding slim hope that if there were two expansion teams maybe then Brown would be taken. However it sounds like the Canadian Dollar has put Quebec's bid in doubt. So if only 1 I doubt Brown gets claimed.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Maybe it's a Sutter experiment. Put them both out there, and it forces at least one of them to move the puck, or they get trapped. Both are a little out of their comfort zone, and you hope at least one of them can find a way.

Only other option is to sit one of the two and play McBain though and Sutter doesn't seem to like McBain at all.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
McNabb has looked a lot better overall since he has been paired with Schenn. They have been extremely physical. There's an obvious mental aspect to his game that needs to be strengthened, though. I think his issues are between the ears. I had high hopes for him, here's hoping he can take the next step ala Muzzin, Martinez, etc. He could be a very solid 2nd/3rd pairing guy.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
McNabb is decent at moving the puck, Schenn less so. Its when they get hemmed in after a couple chances to breakout that the trouble begins.

And they look fine as a third pairing for the most part.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
the only bad thing about Schenn is that hes slow, most notably towards the end of his shifts. if hes out there longer than 45 ish seconds its like his skates are engulfed in molasses

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Lombardi built the team on large, slow, physical, mean defense. Schenn fits right in for that.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lombardi built the team on large, slow, physical, mean defense. Schenn fits right in for that.

Yeah, no kidding.

I'm not commenting on whether this is good or bad--obviously it's worked for us and we're a very different team than all the others at this point for that reason--but it's funny to watch an organization so big on analytics/puck-possession to embrace the bruising, dump-and-chase and forecheck till they bleed approach of yesteryear. It's equally strange to watch us start the year with nearly ALL puck moving defensemen--which almost signaled a move for us in a new direction--to going BACK to (sometimes literally, in Scuds' case) having physical stay at home guys all over. And that's a contradictory move to acquiring Versteeg at forward, though that makes sense in context, still just funny, and still makes me realize I have no clue what the hell DL is saying about a 5-year-plan at this point. The organization has seemingly changed philosophies/approaches nonstop over the last little bit.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Yeah, no kidding.

I'm not commenting on whether this is good or bad--obviously it's worked for us and we're a very different team than all the others at this point for that reason--but it's funny to watch an organization so big on analytics/puck-possession to embrace the bruising, dump-and-chase and forecheck till they bleed approach of yesteryear. It's equally strange to watch us start the year with nearly ALL puck moving defensemen--which almost signaled a move for us in a new direction--to going BACK to (sometimes literally, in Scuds' case) having physical stay at home guys all over. And that's a contradictory move to acquiring Versteeg at forward, though that makes sense in context, still just funny, and still makes me realize I have no clue what the hell DL is saying about a 5-year-plan at this point. The organization has seemingly changed philosophies/approaches nonstop over the last little bit.

And back to a 500 record again like last year!!

Noonan61

Aug 16, 2011
LA
Any word if the Kings are looking at any of the college free agents? Could help the pipeline a bit either in defensemen or goalies.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
haven't heard anything but I've assumed that they've been looking at all FA for at least the minors yeah. It's that time of year!

Kings man 4 life

Jul 2, 2008
Yeah, no kidding.

This is what makes me realize I don't know **** about hockey other than the basics(badly at that). The ability of DL and Sutter to adapt this team so quickly amazes me. Last year the problem was we didn't know which way the wind was going to blow coupled with the scandals just kinda never let management get a feel for which direction to take. Adaptation is the key to survival in the CAP era, eventually you'll get old and have to phoenix (not the team, the mythical animal) it but for now Kings management is doing an amazing job taking what we have and running with it. Look at the Sharks, Habs and Rangers as proof that trying the same non working formula and hoping "this year is our year" doesn't work. To an outsider it makes DL and Sutter look crazy playing wack a mole but in reality their is method to their madness. Genius and insanity is just a matter of timing for them.

mattgkg

Jan 16, 2015
if the hockey Illuminati was what got the kings richards, carter, gaborik and lucic than i fully support our orange lizard overloards. in dean we trust.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Any word if the Kings are looking at any of the college free agents? Could help the pipeline a bit either in defensemen or goalies.

I have to think that's a focus considering how few picks we have this season.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I have to think that's a focus considering how few picks we have this season.

I'd go after...

1) Brandon Tanev from Providence...brother of canucks Chris Tanev. He's a speedy two-way forward that can score and is good defensively.

2) Casey Nelson from Minnesota State. Big 6'2" RHD that can score and play defense. Voynov-lite.

3)Alex Lyon from Yale. Goalie prospect that played pretty well for team USA at the World Championships.

4) Dominik Shine from Northern Michigan. The dude just screams LA Kings prospect. He put up good numbers in a very conservative system. The dude has some good speed and toughness. Plays the grinding game and great defensively.

5) and of course, Jimmy Vesey if he doesn't sign with Nashville.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'd go after...

1) Brandon Tanev from Providence...brother of canucks Chris Tanev. He's a speedy two-way forward that can score and is good defensively.

2) Casey Nelson from Minnesota State. Big 6'2" RHD that can score and play defense. Voynov-lite.

3)Alex Lyon from Yale. Goalie prospect that played pretty well for team USA at the World Championships.

4) Dominik Shine from Northern Michigan. The dude just screams LA Kings prospect. He put up good numbers in a very conservative system. The dude has some good speed and toughness. Plays the grinding game and great defensively.

5) and of course, Jimmy Vesey if he doesn't sign with Nashville.

By most accounts he's oging nowhere but toronto (loltampering) but man that would be a coup

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Anyone think Dean might ask Lecavalier to stick around next season?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
For Pearson AND Toffoli imo it's the actual grind of playing a full season. Keep in mind neither guy really did previously. And Pearson said as much in his Rosen interview.

YOu can get in shape all you like but I dunno if you can anticipate the wear and tear of a regular season until you've been thru it. Toffoli in particular looks mentally exhausted

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It's hard to score in the NHL. The Kings haven't had a 30G scorer since 09-10 I believe (Kopitar)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad