2015-2016 Roster Talk: Kings Have no Elite Players Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
The Kings only score lucky goals. I honestly haven't seen a skilled goal from this team in years and I live in L.A. and watch them a lot.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
We are the worst team in the NHL AINECIMHOROFLMAO. Players suck, coach sucks, GM sucks. Fans are the worst.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Loved seeing how much Lucic is liking it here and that he wants to stay.
Now just to figure out how to do it. He'll have to work with DL for it to happen.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Now just to figure out how to do it. He'll have to work with DL for it to happen.

Nah he'll get his 7x7, Toffoli will gets his 7x7, all while keeping the Brown deal people admit no GM will take in a trade. And we'll keep Martinez!!!

giphy.gif

And you get an $80M contract, and you get a $50M contract, and you get a $50M contract!!!

But don't worry the salary cap will be at $80M by next season, because the players are getting ready to invoke their super secret, super duper escalator clause!!!!

Last edited:

JureEe

Go Kings Go!
Apr 5, 2012
sLOVEnija
i really liked that part from espn article.

It's been Kopitar for a while now as his center, which was the original plan when the Kings traded for Lucic, as the belief in the front office was that he would open up space for Kopitar to do his thing.

"He is really good with Kopitar," said one NHL head coach who requested anonymity. "Kopitar is playing pretty freakin' good. He's a great player but I really think Lucic helps him a lot. He is such a physical monster, he's so hard to contain. His presence is important."

so glad that Kopi and Lucic could find their chemistry. thats what we hoped after trade.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

That was a good ESPN article about Lucic that Ziggy Stardust posted in the closed roster thread.

It's understandable that Lucic loves being a King already. The climate, the community, etc., but it's also the team. Reading interviews with Jarret Stoll at mayorsmanor and someplace else, Stoll is wistful when thinking back to his time as a King. He talked about the team being very, very close and about looking at photographs that brought back memories of his years with the team. If Lucic is experiencing that now, embrace it for as long as you can.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My 2nd favorite part of that article is the Dallas-LA highlights where ESPN uses the foxtrack to show where the puck is going on the goals :laugh:

And I dunno K17, I get the trepidation, but DL seems to always have an ace up his sleeve. I'm not going to believe he's run out of magic until he does.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
My 2nd favorite part of that article is the Dallas-LA highlights where ESPN uses the foxtrack to show where the puck is going on the goals :laugh:

And I dunno K17, I get the trepidation, but DL seems to always have an ace up his sleeve. I'm not going to believe he's run out of magic until he does.

He will as soon as Toffoli needs a new contract, IF Gaborik and Brown can't be moved. Let's hope he can find a GM dumb enough to accommodate him.

I dunno, maybe after next season is over Dean decides that one of the young kids in Ontario is ready for a top 4 role as a defensman and Martinez is outta here. Something's gotta give somewhere.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
That was a good ESPN article about Lucic that Ziggy Stardust posted in the closed roster thread.

It's understandable that Lucic loves being a King already. The climate, the community, etc., but it's also the team. Reading interviews with Jarret Stoll at mayorsmanor and someplace else, Stoll is wistful when thinking back to his time as a King. He talked about the team being very, very close and about looking at photographs that brought back memories of his years with the team. If Lucic is experiencing that now, embrace it for as long as you can.

stoll is homesick, with a sad story not entirely behind him. looch is different, just by watching his body language in recent interviews i think he feels that he must prove something extra to stay. looch is a man on the mission now, and it's not entirely up to his performance if he stays or not. many drops of blood and sweat to come, but i hope he will stay.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He will as soon as Toffoli needs a new contract, IF Gaborik and Brown can't be moved. Let's hope he can find a GM dumb enough to accommodate him.

I dunno, maybe after next season is over Dean decides that one of the young kids in Ontario is ready for a top 4 role as a defensman and Martinez is outta here. Something's gotta give somewhere.

worse case scenerio we lose Toffoli in two years. He is an RFA so any acquiring team will have to either fork over a lot of picks via an offer sheet or he will be traded. Not like he can walk away and leave us with nothing.
Would still suck...alot, but not leave LA high and dry

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

And at this point I don't see that expansion is going to happen. Just too much risk with the Loonie and the fact that depending on when those teams will actually be added to figuring HHR. If it happens right away they would likely lower the cap not increase it. And don't think that every GM isn't telling the owners and whoever votes within the BOG that very thing.
I mention the expansion because I could see a team take either Gabo or Brown. Veteran leaders that both have won.

Ron*

Nah he'll get his 7x7, Toffoli will gets his 7x7, all while keeping the Brown deal people admit no GM will take in a trade. And we'll keep Martinez!!!

giphy.gif

And you get an $80M contract, and you get a $50M contract, and you get a $50M contract!!!

But don't worry the salary cap will be at $80M by next season, because the players are getting ready to invoke their super secret, super duper escalator clause!!!!

Pay the men their money.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
And at this point I don't see that expansion is going to happen. Just too much risk with the Loonie and the fact that depending on when those teams will actually be added to figuring HHR. If it happens right away they would likely lower the cap not increase it. And don't think that every GM isn't telling the owners and whoever votes within the BOG that very thing.
I mention the expansion because I could see a team take either Gabo or Brown. Veteran leaders that both have won.

ya I agree expansion would likely lower the cap. This would make Kopitar's % of cap huge. K17 would love that

Ron*

worse case scenerio we lose Toffoli in two years. He is an RFA so any acquiring team will have to either fork over a lot of picks via an offer sheet or he will be traded. Not like he can walk away and leave us with nothing.

Toffoli isn't going anywhere; stop listening to the debbie downers. We'll be fine.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

That is a big worst case. We just can't lose Toffoli. If the choice is Lucic vs Toffoli. We must go with Toffoli. He's younger and a better goal scorer.
And even getting draft picks wouldn't replace him. We're talking about our first 30 goal scorer since 09/10. And yes I'm already counting that as a given. Only way he doesn't get to 30 is getting injured. And the first potential 40 goal scorer since 93/94. And there's a really good change he'll hit that number. And that last person to hit 40 was also a Kings draft pick and one that I think every fan hated to see go even though he did come back, Luc.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I don't think Dean will allow this to happen, even if it costs him Lucic. Something has to be done about Brown's contract this summer, or there is no deal for Lucic IMO.

I agree, as Bettman has backed away from the expansion talk considerably. I could see an expansion team taking Gaborik or Brown in a trade, but I don't think it would be wise for an expansion GM to waste a pick on one of them when they could have a player like Pearson, McNabb, Shore, etc.

Pay the men their money.

...and you still offer nothing in terms of how this is possible. Everything will be fine!!! Have you gone to see the Big Short yet, Ron? :)

Last edited:

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
That is a big worst case. We just can't lose Toffoli. If the choice is Lucic vs Toffoli. We must go with Toffoli. He's younger and a better goal scorer.
And even getting draft picks wouldn't replace him. We're talking about our first 30 goal scorer since 09/10. And yes I'm already counting that as a given. Only way he doesn't get to 30 is getting injured. And the first potential 40 goal scorer since 93/94. And there's a really good change he'll hit that number. And that last person to hit 40 was also a Kings draft pick and one that I think every fan hated to see go even though he did come back, Luc.

i agree. but it's a sick dilemma. both guys are playing the 1st line, and vg. why selling gold if we could sell some silver instead.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
i agree. but it's a sick dilemma. both guys are playing the 1st line, and vg. why selling gold if we could sell some silver instead.

So, you're okay with trading Martinez and bring a rookie or minimum salary player to be in the top 4 season after next, because that's the only way I see it happening.

The Kings don't have forwards on expensive contracts that a team would be willing to take.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Expansion probably wouldn't lower the cap right away, as teams would probably pull a Winnipeg and require some kind of longer commitment. It will likely inflate it artificially initially, allowing teams to do stupid things, then stagnate or decrease.

How many markets realistically would be in the top half of revenue?

Seattle - maybe, but probably not. Can be wishy/washy about their sports up there.
KC - I can't see it happening here, already failed twice. Another Atlanta
Markham - probably the best bet, but based on CDN
Quebec City - another potentially solid place, but again based on CDN
Vegas - very risky, poor economic climate

Once the shiny new toy phase its over it's going to be another drag on the league. What would help the cap most is to contract, but we know that's not going to happen. Expansion would be boom or bust of the Kings. They could lose a big contract, but if they didn't it could worsen the cap issue.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Toffoli isn't going anywhere; stop listening to the debbie downers. We'll be fine.

For real. I'll bet my damn account that Toffoli is going to be a King long term. I don't sweat the money. That's Dean's job and his staff's job to fret about it and make magic happen. They're certainly a lot better at it than we are.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
So, you're okay with trading Martinez and bring a rookie or minimum salary player to be in the top 4 season after next, because that's the only way I see it happening.

The Kings don't have forwards on expensive contracts that a team would be willing to take.

look, i understand it's complicated. but if we're selling silver i'd prefer to live without pearson - of course if your calculations could prove that lak can afford lucic in this case. imo that's the best case scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad