2015-2016 Report Cards

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Beyond the vast improvement in prospect depth, its not a slam dunk to me.

Still have a good top 6 F & a bottom 6 that may be OK (or maybe won't - time will tell if many of those guys will make a successful career). So, improvement but not massive.

D -- came in with a good young top 4 and minimal support afterwards. Still have a good but not young top 4 & very little afterwards. No improvement.

G -- Pavs was sold as an up & comer. He should be long gone but he's still here with another in a long rotation of backups. Need to rely on our prospects for the future.

So, yes he has improved our prospect depth but we had nothing coming in so an improvement was unavoidable. Nevertheless, I'm giving him full marks for the P improvement. Beyond that though, too little improvement, to much dittling in between, too many silly contracts & unneccessary signings.

C- is as high as I'd ever give him at this point. Is his job in danger, not a chance -- Chipman will resign him for the max as soon as possible because thats just the way Chipman operates. But like others have said, public sentiment may shift rapidly regarding Chevy if this group of promising prospects continues to fall flat for both the Jets & Moose in future.

Fair enough. I would say that there are only two quite bad contracts over the past 5 years, and it hasn't really affected the Jets ability to sign and keep good players.

He hasn't just improved the prospects from a total wasteland, by many assessments he has taken the Jets prospect pool to the level of top-3 or so in the NHL. He's done that while keeping the main components of a decent core together (rather than tearing the team down to the studs as Buffalo and Toronto did). It's possible that all of the positive assessments of the Jets prospect pool are misguided, in which case the Jets really are no further ahead and headed for oblivion. I think that's unlikely, but we should know more in the next year or two.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Beyond the vast improvement in prospect depth, its not a slam dunk to me.

Still have a good top 6 F & a bottom 6 that may be OK (or maybe won't - time will tell if many of those guys will make a successful career). So, improvement but not massive.

D -- came in with a good young top 4 and minimal support afterwards. Still have a good but not young top 4 & very little afterwards. No improvement.

G -- Pavs was sold as an up & comer. He should be long gone but he's still here with another in a long rotation of backups. Need to rely on our prospects for the future.

So, yes he has improved our prospect depth but we had nothing coming in so an improvement was unavoidable. Nevertheless, I'm giving him full marks for the P improvement. Beyond that though, too little improvement, to much dittling in between, too many silly contracts & unneccessary signings.

C- is as high as I'd ever give him at this point. Is his job in danger, not a chance -- Chipman will resign him for the max as soon as possible because thats just the way Chipman operates. But like others have said, public sentiment may shift rapidly regarding Chevy if this group of promising prospects continues to fall flat for both the Jets & Moose in future.

Totally agree, nice summary.

Fair enough. I would say that there are only two quite bad contracts over the past 5 years, and it hasn't really affected the Jets ability to sign and keep good players.

He hasn't just improved the prospects from a total wasteland, by many assessments he has taken the Jets prospect pool to the level of top-3 or so in the NHL. He's done that while keeping the main components of a decent core together (rather than tearing the team down to the studs as Buffalo and Toronto did). It's possible that all of the positive assessments of the Jets prospect pool are misguided, in which case the Jets really are no further ahead and headed for oblivion. I think that's unlikely, but we should know more in the next year or two.

Agree, we can't help but improve from where we are....can't get much worse.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I believe I gave Chevy a B+ last season, his overall GPA in my books is 1.9!

I gave Chevy a lower grade than you last season ("B"). Then he went ahead and did what I thought he should - went with a youth movement this season, even though it meant a step back in the standings. Hard for me to give him a lower grade now, especially since it's becoming clearer that some of the prospects are bona fide.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I'll add my other ratings:

Natress: D. Too church-choiry for my tastes. Poor grade reflects over-usuage like Thor on 2nd line.

Beyak: C-. Don't like him at all but he's still miles better than Mitch Peacock and Gary Galley.

Hnidy: C-. Don't mind him but his love for Stu and ****** vets is cringeworthy.

Edmonds: F "Scuh-hoooores"

Munz: C- Would have been an F until we got Edmonds and discovered what a F really is.

Orlesky: C not great but the only one at TSN Jets with enough stones to ask a tough question once a year.

Lawless & Order: F

I guess Chipman's an "F" too because he hired all of these people. He's been a total failure as a franchise owner. We need to get an owner that is smarter or more committed to winning, like other franchises have. :sarcasm:

Chipman personally hired the anthem singer and all the radio and TV guys? I guess it's gone beyond snapping towels in the locker room and playing contract negotiator in chief - he's micromanaging game day productions and the media? I appreciate you guessing my grades, if you'd like I can post my perception of your opinions and grades?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chipman personally hired the anthem singer and all the radio and TV guys? I guess it's gone beyond snapping towels in the locker room and playing contract negotiator in chief - he's micromanaging game day productions and the media? I appreciate you guessing my grades, if you'd like I can post my perception of your opinions and grades?

You gave Chipman's most important hire an "F-". I was a bit curious that you shared your rating about just about everyone, including the singers and media guys. Are the janitors next? But I don't think I've seen your rating for the owner who is ultimately responsible for everything. Care to share your rating of Chipman, or would you like me to guess?

I've already shared my grade for Chevy.

Since you seem interested, for the players, I think the ratings for this past season are pretty straightforward and mine would probably not differ much from most of the others on this board.

Generally....

A level: Wheeler, Scheifele, Buff
B level: Little, Hellebuyck, Trouba, Ehlers, Perreault
C level: Everyone else
D-F level: Thorbs, Peluso, Stuart, Pavs, Hutch

Coaches: C (won't distinguish Maurice from assistants, because I have no idea how they split their duties).

I'd prefer better in-game music (an organ would be fun).

Concessions could be better and more convenient.

A couple of regular fans behind me are very irritating and loud "know-it-alls".

I am more annoyed by the local media's lack of knowledge than their lack of "critical" approach, and I wish they would ask more interesting questions.

(Seriously, H&L had Chevy for a long interview in the midst of his most intense scouting season, and they asked him how he would "feel" if the Jets won the lottery, and what he thinks of the new lottery system. Wouldn't we have all liked to hear more about his perspectives on the quality and depth of this draft, how it stacks up at F vs. D, whether he thinks there are drop-offs in the first round and when?)

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You gave Chipman's most important hire an "F-". I was a bit curious that you shared your rating about just about everyone, including the singers and media guys. Are the janitors next? But I don't think I've seen your rating for the owner who is ultimately responsible for everything. Care to share your rating of Chipman, or would you like me to guess?

Since you seem interested, for the players, I think the ratings for this past season are pretty straightforward and mine would probably not differ much from most of the others on this board.

Generally....

Coaches: C (won't distinguish Maurice from assistants, because I have no idea how they split their duties).

I am more annoyed by the local media's lack of knowledge than their lack of "critical" approach, and I wish they would ask more interesting questions.

(Seriously, H&L had Chevy for a long interview in the midst of his most intense scouting season, and they asked him how he would "feel" if the Jets won the lottery, and what he thinks of the new lottery system. Wouldn't we have all liked to hear more about his perspectives on the quality and depth of this draft, how it stacks up at F vs. D, whether he thinks there are drop-offs in the first round and when?)

I don't understand why Thorburn is the rented mule here. I thought he was quite effective in his limitedrole. Once Halischuk was taken off his line with Lowry i thought we played some good 4 line hockey. I like Thorburn's game. I said it.

I think coaching should be an F, across the board. We gave up too many goals to be a contender and ranked in the bottom tier of most significant categories, most importantly special teams. That is a coaching problem as much as personnel I think.

I agree with the assertion of our media coverage being inadequate. I think we pander to homerism as much as some non traditional markets. Definitely with Lawless leading the circus there are no tough questions and insufficient scrutiny.

I for one would love to have a pipe organ in the MTS Centre. Miss the good old days of hockey.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

Generally....

Really???
Should Chevy tell the other GMs what his thoughts are and what his plans are for the draft.
The jets drafting has been excellent especially since they never had a top 5 pick under Chevy.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Really???
Should Chevy tell the other GMs what his thoughts are and what his plans are for the draft.
The jets drafting has been excellent especially since they never had a top 5 pick under Chevy.

I think Chevy could give general impressions without revealing too much about draft plans. No harm in asking.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I started mine, but it's easier to say it this way.....

Wheeler, Scheif, Little and Ehlers performed well this year. Everyone else was average or below what I expected.

Buff was good, Toby was vastly underrated and one of the few capable puck movers on the back end, everyone else was average or below what I expected.

Our best goalie finished his year in the AHL.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I started mine, but it's easier to say it this way.....

Wheeler, Scheif, Little and Ehlers performed well this year. Everyone else was average or below what I expected.

Buff was good, Toby was vastly underrated and one of the few capable puck movers on the back end, everyone else was average or below what I expected.

Our best goalie finished his year in the AHL.

Agree with it all except the bolded, I see the opposite in Toby, I think he was vastly overrated and always has been.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
1) Wheeler: A+: awesome season. Best Jet night in night out
2) Scheifele: A+: another great season for the hockey geek. Posts & Crossbars prevent stats from being padded even further.
3)Ehlers: B+: first half of season B- / 2nd half an A. Great things are coming.
4) Little: B: high expectations not met, but solid regardless
5) Perreault: B+: another player whose fantastic play last season had fans wanting more this season. No more injuries please!
6) Stafford: C+: personally like his game. strong leader who still scores timely goals
7) Armia: C+: things seem to finally be coming together for him. Next year will be a breakout season for him.
8) Dano: C: great aquisition. will be a big part of the teams future
9) Burmistrov: C-: another frustrating offensive season. Played much better after the Ladd deal, but still leaves one wanting more. Will never reach his potential. Would love to see him stay in Canada during the offseason & train with Scheifele.
10) Thorburn: C-: Yes he's a plug, but nowhere near as bad as made out on these boards. I like his effort.
11) Copp: C-: gifted a spot on this team. Should have been on the Moose all year. I saw his play improve the moment his minutes went up. Can we please roll 4 lines like the rest of the NHL?
12) Lowry: D: A stereotypical sophomore jynx & the Jets biggest disappointment by far. Looked horrible in the first half & certainly deserved his demotion. Hoping he bring more to the table next year.
13) Petan: C: Still needs seasoning. Defensive game remains lacking.
14) Peluso: F: Has no place in the NHL.
15) Halischuk: B: Hustlechuck. Love his effort. Hopefully he's content being a Moose leader & a call-up when needed.
16) Ladd: C: recovery from surgery very apparent in his play. This team may have been playoff bound had he been ready from game 1. I planned on him returning, but the strong play of the youngsters in his absence has changed my mind.

Buff: A-: his best season as a defensemen. Would get an A+ if he could stay out of the box.
Enstrom: A: Offensive numbers in decline, defensive play on the rise. Still a big part of this team.
Myers: B-: his best season since his Calder year, good enough that I may prefer to keep him should the Hamonic deal happen. Another defensement with a higher grade were he able to stay out of the box.
Trouba: C: I thought his game improved significantly once moved to his offside & away from Stuart. Torn as to what to do. Pretty convinced either he or Myers are traded to the NYI before the draft.
Postma: C-: The rust of sitting in the press box daily for a year clearly showed. The poster boy for any perceived mismanagement by the coaching staff. Having a player like him in box for nearly a full season has hampered his development moreso than anyone on the team. Many blunders, but none enough to warrant the unparalled benching he received.
Chiarot: C-: Thought he started strong, you could see the off season training helped. Still alot to learn.
Melchiori: C-: Quite a surprise for me. His game has translated well from the AHL to the NHL.
Stuart: F: Gross. Can't move the puck, can't play a positional game, no gap control, too many penalties. Worst player on the team not named Peluso.

Pavelec: D: Typical Pavelec season. Hot & cold. Not steady at all. He's now a veteran & needs to be displaying much more consistency. Here's to his last season in Winnipeg.
Hutchinson: D-: I don't think he's capable of playing a backup role. To me the type of goalie that needs to be playing every night. His road to the NHL was paved with overwork. Has never recovered since losing the starting spot right after last years All-Star break.
Hellebuyck: B+: Future looks bright with him!

Maurice: C: Refusal to roll 4 lines, unable to get the defense to stop taking bad penalties, overuse of Stuart has me questioning him. Gets an A for his interviews.
Huddy: D+: Sorry, but it's just not working. Defense is far more talented than the on ice results he gets out of his players.
Vincent: F: I don't think I can write my feelings here without being heavily modded.

Chevy: B: Solid draft choices, good signing of Byfuglien, great deal with Chicago, nice to see Connor signed. Needs to improve his media relations. Easily the most scripted, tired, boring interview in hockey.

I'd have a tough time disagreeing with any of your grades Fonz. The only exception being Trouba, I'd grade him a B-. Good job.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I think Chevy could give general impressions without revealing too much about draft plans. No harm in asking.

Okay let's use the NFL trade for the #1 pick. The Titans have 5 or 6 picks in the first 3 rounds ... their GM said the draft is loaded and should get a lot of value with those picks. The Rams and a few experts say it's a weak draft.
So which is it ... weak draft or loaded?
A good GM never gives away his secrets where a bad GM is always talking to the media explaining how the bad pick is a good one.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Okay let's use the NFL trade for the #1 pick. The Titans have 5 or 6 picks in the first 3 rounds ... their GM said the draft is loaded and should get a lot of value with those picks. The Rams and a few experts say it's a weak draft.
So which is it ... weak draft or loaded?
A good GM never gives away his secrets where a bad GM is always talking to the media explaining how the bad pick is a good one.

If you look back to previously when asked Chevy talked about the top ten in 2011 being strong and he thought some teams might try to trade up. As I said, there's no harm in asking. Better than asking what Chevy's personal plans are for the lottery night - useless question.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't understand why Thorburn is the rented mule here. I thought he was quite effective in his limitedrole. Once Halischuk was taken off his line with Lowry i thought we played some good 4 line hockey. I like Thorburn's game. I said it.

I think coaching should be an F, across the board. We gave up too many goals to be a contender and ranked in the bottom tier of most significant categories, most importantly special teams. That is a coaching problem as much as personnel I think.

I agree with the assertion of our media coverage being inadequate. I think we pander to homerism as much as some non traditional markets. Definitely with Lawless leading the circus there are no tough questions and insufficient scrutiny.

I for one would love to have a pipe organ in the MTS Centre. Miss the good old days of hockey.

Somewhat agree. Thor is not too bad by 4th line standards. It isn't his fault that Mau keeps playing him higher up. There is a problem though when we repeatedly see more skilled players play badly when with him.

:thumbu: Yes to the organ! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad