Postma: B-

Pavelec: F
Huthinson: D-
Hellebuyck: B+

Maurice: D+
Vincent: F
Huddy: F

Cheveldayoff: F-

Just curious, but what about Ladd's and Melchiori's grades?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Basically agree. Thorburn gets a D from me. He played fine by his standards, just shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Chevy gets a C. Step back yes, but really started the youth movement, re signed buff to a great deal and handled Ladds situation right.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Basically agree. Thorburn gets a D from me. He played fine by his standards, just shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Chevy gets a C.
Step back yes, but really started the youth movement, re signed buff to a great deal and handled Ladds situation right.

I guess that depends on perspective, in the long term a C grade is right, but as for his effect on this season, the OP is right

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Wheeler: A
Scheifele: A-
Ehlers: B
Little: B
Perreault: B+
Stafford: C+
Dano: C
Burmistrov: C-
Armia: C+
Thorburn: F
Copp: C+
Lowry: C
Petan: C+
Peluso: F
Halischuk: C
Ladd: C+

Buff: A
Myers: B
Trouba: B
Enstrom: B
Stuart: F
Chiarot: C
Melchiori: C-

Pavelec: C-
Hutchinson: C-

Maurice: C

Chevy: C+

THings to remember:
Stafford was the hottest Jet prior to his 1 game suspension. Armia started off doing nothing, was hot for a bit, and then ended cold. his point total's pretty darn low.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Well, interesting you give Chevy an F yet Outside of Wheeler,Buff,Little, all the other guys you gave higher "grades" to are guys Chevy either drafted or brought in via free agency.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Just curious, but what about Ladd's and Melchiori's grades?

I'd probably give Ladd a B-, which is probably generous given his play but accounts for the fact that he was recovering from major surgery and missed training camp. He was basically back to his former self by January.

I didn't rate Melchiori, Kosmo or DeLeo because of the limited sample size and b/c I didn't have much for expectations. The interesting part about the Moose callups for me was that while they may not be NHL regulars now or ever, they were at least as good and in some cases better than some of our veterans.

What are your grades?

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
THings to remember:
Stafford was the hottest Jet prior to his 1 game suspension. Armia started off doing nothing, was hot for a bit, and then ended cold. his point total's pretty darn low.

Unfortunately he phoned it in for the last 20 games or so.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Wheeler: A+
Scheifele: A+
Ehlers: A
Little: B+
Perreault: A
Stafford: D+
Dano: C
Armia: B
Thorburn: F
Copp: C
Lowry: D
Halischuk: D

Myers: C+
Trouba: B-
Enstrom: C+
Chiarot: D

Huthinson: D-

Maurice: D+
Huddy: F

Cheveldayoff: F-

Love your ratings - I'm really close on all.

Minor differences on Trouba (he's had a poor year by his standards - C). Armia has been good, but B is too high. As critical as I've been on Chevy, he's managed to get back to a C-/D in the last couple months in my books

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Well, interesting you give Chevy an F yet Outside of Wheeler,Buff,Little, all the other guys you gave higher "grades" to are guys Chevy either drafted or brought in via free agency.

Sure.....but all the players I gave lower grades were brought in or signed/extended by Chevy too. He's responsible for the entire roster (including the players that we lost in the offseason) as well as the direction of the team.

That's just my opinion though, feel free to post your own grades.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wheeler: A+
Ehlers: A
Stafford: D+
Dano: C+
Armia: B
Thorburn: D
Copp: C
Halischuk: D

His all around game improved greatly this year. Went from a negative rel corsi to a positive while playing fairly difficult minutes. I look forward to seeing a bit more growth next year.
Enstrom: C+
Chiarot: D

Huthinson: D

Maurice: C+
Team was good at ES and a lot of young guys took steps forward under his direction.

Huddy: C
Buff continues to excel and Myers game developed pretty well. This was offset by having Stuart stapled to Trouba and leaving Postma I'm the box.

Chevy: B
Last 1st round pick looks like a franchise winger in the making, locked Buff up to great deal and trades Ladd for a strong return. A bunch of his draft picks also gain ed some traction at the NHL level this past year.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The real grades

Ehlers: B+
Perreault: B-
Stafford: C
Dano: C-
Burmistrov: c-
Armia: C-
Halischuk: C-

Enstrom: C
Chiarot: C-

Pavelec: D
Hutchinson: D

Maurice: D
Huddy: D+

Chevy: F+

Chipman: C-

Last edited:

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Love your ratings - I'm really close on all.

Minor differences on Trouba (he's had a poor year by his standards - C). Armia has been good, but B is too high. As critical as I've been on Chevy, he's managed to get back to a C-/D in the last couple months in my books

Yeah, Trouba is a tough one. I think he had a decent year but not relative to the expectations we had for him after year one. I attribute part of that to Charlie Huddy/Maurice handcuffing him to Mark Stuart (as they did to Bogosian as well and we all know how well that turned out).

Seriously, if they are worried about Trouba's attachment to the team - maybe they can get him a partner that is better than an ECHL player, instead of hiring his brother and giving a spot to his childhood best friend?

Re: Chevy earning higher marks in the last two months: I'm assuming you're talking about the Ladd/Buff deals? As someone on HF Jets said recently - Chevy always seems to do the best he could under the circumstances that he put himself in. I thought that was an accurate depiction.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
The real grades

Perreault: B-
Stafford: C
Dano: C-
Burmistrov: c-
Armia: C-
Halischuk: C-

Enstrom: C
Chiarot: C-

Pavelec: D
Hutchinson: D

Maurice: D
Huddy: D+

Chevy: F+

Chipman: C-

I love that you gave Chipman a grade, Sip. LOL.

I forgot to add Zinger's grade: F-

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Yeah, Trouba is a tough one. I think he had a decent year but not relative to the expectations we had for him after year one. I attribute part of that to Charlie Huddy/Maurice handcuffing him to Mark Stuart (as they did to Bogosian as well and we all know how well that turned out).

Seriously, if they are worried about Trouba's attachment to the team - maybe they can get him a partner that is better than an ECHL player, instead of hiring his brother and giving a spot to his childhood best friend?

Re: Chevy earning higher marks in the last two months: I'm assuming you're talking about the Ladd/Buff deals? As someone on HF Jets said recently - Chevy always seems to do the best he could under the circumstances that he put himself in. I thought that was an accurate depiction.

That is a very accurate description of Chevy. He needs to be forced into a corner before he does squat. Sometimes that works for the better & it definitely did regarding Ladd & Buff. Coming on the heels of him signing Connor (and the favorable timing), I'm prepared to give Chevy some leeway. Mind you if all the PP/PK coaches come back next season, and we fail to make a single trade or UFA signing this summer, I guess he's back in the doghouse.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'm waivering on changing Chipman's grade to a D. The loge seat fiasco should at the very least get him a slap to the head.

We both forgot McCambridge who gets an F
And why is he still Moose HC again?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Trouba did not have a good year. I think his year is a step back for him IMO. I would grade him a C or C-.

I think all the 2nd year guys should be just solid Cs.

Scheif went from a B to maybe an A. He wasn't that great in the 1st half.

Chevy and company probably get a C which is just average which is exactly what type of team we have.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd give Chevy a B-. On the basis of drafting Connor, signing Connor, not sending back Ehlers to junior, signing Buff to a great contract, trading Ladd for a solid return, enabling the tank even though the players (and the west coast) didn't co-operate.

The minus is for being a lousy quote.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
That is a very accurate description of Chevy. He needs to be forced into a corner before he does squat. Sometimes that works for the better & it definitely did regarding Ladd & Buff. Coming on the heels of him signing Connor (and the favorable timing), I'm prepared to give Chevy some leeway. Mind you if all the PP/PK coaches come back next season, and we fail to make a single trade or UFA signing this summer, I guess he's back in the doghouse.

If he started signing UFAs now, when we can finally fill those spots internally, I'd be pretty upset.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
1) Wheeler: A+: awesome season. Best Jet night in night out
2) Scheifele: A+: another great season for the hockey geek. Posts & Crossbars prevent stats from being padded even further.
3)Ehlers: B+: first half of season B- / 2nd half an A. Great things are coming.
4) Little: B: high expectations not met, but solid regardless
5) Perreault: B+: another player whose fantastic play last season had fans wanting more this season. No more injuries please!
6) Stafford: C+: personally like his game. strong leader who still scores timely goals
7) Armia: C+: things seem to finally be coming together for him. Next year will be a breakout season for him.
8) Dano: C: great aquisition. will be a big part of the teams future
9) Burmistrov: C-: another frustrating offensive season. Played much better after the Ladd deal, but still leaves one wanting more. Will never reach his potential. Would love to see him stay in Canada during the offseason & train with Scheifele.
10) Thorburn: C-: Yes he's a plug, but nowhere near as bad as made out on these boards. I like his effort.
11) Copp: C-: gifted a spot on this team. Should have been on the Moose all year. I saw his play improve the moment his minutes went up. Can we please roll 4 lines like the rest of the NHL?
12) Lowry: D: A sterotypical sophmore jynx & the Jets biggest disappointment by far. Looked horrible in the first half & certainly deserved his demotion. Hoping he bring more to the table next year.
13) Petan: C: Still needs seasoning. Defensive game remains lacking.
14) Peluso: F: Has no place in the NHL.
15) Halischuk: B: Hustlechuck. Love his effort. Hopefully he's content being a Moose leader & a call-up when needed.
16) Ladd: C: recovery from surgery very apparent in his play. This team may have been playoff bound had he been ready from game 1. I planned on him returning, but the strong play of the youngsters in his absence has changed my mind.

Buff: A-: his best season as a defensemen. Would get an A+ if he could stay out of the box.
Enstrom: A: Offensive numbers in decline, defensive play on the rise. Still a big part of this team.
Myers: B-: his best season since his Calder year, good enough that I may prefer to keep him should the Hamonic deal happen. Another defensement with a higher grade were he able to stay out of the box.
Trouba: C: I thought his game improved significantly once moved to his offside & away from Stuart. Torn as to what to do. Pretty convinced either he or Myers are traded to the NYI before the draft.
Postma: C-: The rust of sitting in the press box daily for a year clearly showed. The poster boy for any perceived mismanagement by the coaching staff. Having a player like him in box for nearly a full season has hampered his development moreso than anyone on the team. Many blunders, but none enough to warrant the unparalled benching he received.
Chiarot: C-: Thought he started strong, you could see the off season training helped. Still alot to learn.
Melchiori: C-: Quite a surprise for me. His game has translated well from the AHL to the NHL.
Stuart: F: Gross. Can't move the puck, can't play a positional game, no gap control, too many penalties. Worst player on the team not named Peluso.

Pavelec: D: Typical Pavelec season. Hot & cold. Not steady at all. He's now a veteran & needs to be displaying much more consistency. Here's to his last season in Winnipeg.
Hutchinson: D-: I don't think he's capable of playing a backup role. To me the type of goalie that needs to be playing every night. His road to the NHL was paved with overwork. Has never recovered since losing the starting spot right after last years All-Star break.
Hellebuyck: B+: Future looks bright with him!

Maurice: C: Refusal to roll 4 lines, unable to get the defense to stop taking bad penalties, overuse of Stuart has me questioning him. Gets an A for his interviews.
Huddy: D+: Sorry, but it's just not working. Defense is far more talented than the on ice results he gets out of his players.
Vincent: F: I don't think I can write my feelings here without being heavily modded.

Chevy: B: Solid draft choices, good signing of Byfuglien, great deal with Chicago, nice to see Connor signed. Needs to improve his media relations. Easily the most scripted, tired, boring interview in hockey.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Scheifele: A
Stafford: C+
Dano: C+