2015-2016 Report Cards

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Because 'F' was the worst grade possible. She is horribad :help:

I wouldn't mind Stacey to be an occasional anthem singer. This idea of having her as a full time anthem singer is ridiculous.

This is Winnipeg, a hotbed for musical talent. Throw a rock in any direction & within a city block's of that stone you'll find Stacey's equal or better. Disgraceful that fans watching worldwide can't be given a better impression of the talent that exists here.

I'd give her an average C+ rating.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
There's sure not much in the way of UFA LD out there. I think there are a couple you could trade for for cheap - Wiercioch would cost next to nothing. And does Torey Krug fit into the Big Bad Bruins lineup? Too bad Demers doesn't play on the left side...he'd be a decent under-the-radar UFA dman.

I don't know precisely whats out there for UFA defenceman, but I do know there will be some worth considering. Same for UFA or unsigned NCAA defencemen. But especially in trade, there'll be teams like Anaheim & others I'm sure that have too many good defenceman that will need to be protected in the expansion draft.

Limiting yourself as a manager to one option is one thing. Not taking advantage of any of your options to improve an area of weakness in your org is quite another (especially when you have tons of cap space in a cap-strapped league).

Lets just see what do-little does to improve our LHD situation this offseason (other than maybe drafting someone who might be good 3-4 years hence).

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If Trouba plays LD then the depth is fine.

Trouba
Enstrom
Morrissey
Chiarot → Press Box
Stuart → Minors

Looks like good depth to me

Makes sense but we seem to hear that this COULD happen every year, but the next year comes along and there's Trouba - Stu out there again. Seems to make a lot of sense, but Maurice is the one that does not make any sense alot of the time.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
I wouldn't mind Stacey to be an occasional anthem singer. This idea of having her as a full time anthem singer is ridiculous.

This is Winnipeg, a hotbed for musical talent. Throw a rock in any direction & within a city block's of that stone you'll find Stacey's equal or better. Disgraceful that fans watching worldwide can't be given a better impression of the talent that exists here.

I agree. She isn't terrible but why every night?

I went to the Kings game - last one we played in Winnipeg I believe - in March there. Had some skinny guy with a shaved/bald head singing - while his Star Spangled Banner was 'Bleeding Gums Murphy' style (Soooooooo SLOWWWW) must have been over 2 minutes) could tell the guy was a professional singer / singing instructor or something. Perfect pitch and added some tasteful(only a few, not 'avante garde') improvised notes. If this guy is available randomly I'm sure there are others who are acceptable.

As for Stacey, she must have lowered the key slightly or been working on her pipes because isn't always flat at the end of Star Spangled B

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Standard caveat about expectations playing a role in the grades, so someone like Dano gets graded on an easier curve than Ladd.

Wheeler - A
Scheifele - A
Little - B+
Perreault - B+
Ehlers - B
Dano - B-
Ladd - C+/B-
Armia - C+
Petan - C+
Stafford - C
Burmistrov - C-
Copp - C-
Lowry - D
Thorburn - D
Halischuk - D
Peluso - D-

Byfuglien - A-
Trouba - B
Myers - B-
Postma - B-
Enstrom - C+
Chiarot - C
Pardy - C
Stuart - F
Melchiori - F

Pavelec - D
Hutchinson - D+
Hellebuyck - B/B+

Maurice and the staff - F
Chevy's 2015 offseason - F
Chevy's moves this season - B+
Chevy's grade as a GM to date - D

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
serious question: should he be higher or lower?

Speaking for myself: part of what factors in to "expectations" is pay grade and usage.

If Pavelec was making $1M on a one year deal and posted a 0.904 in 20 starts? Yeah, I'd probably give him a C-. As a goalie that's paid like a bona fide starter and likely would have made 50+ appearances were it not for his injury, he gets a D. And that's even when adjusting for him being historically bad, someone like Price would get an F if they posted numbers that poor.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

The last couple of Moose games I've been to, they had a blonde young woman singing and she was great! I've actually heard quite a few anthem singers at Moose games that are better than Stacey. I don't mind Stacey, but I do agree that there is much, much better in this city. I personally know many who are excellent vocalists.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I'll add my other ratings:

Natress: D. Too church-choiry for my tastes. Poor grade reflects over-usuage like Thor on 2nd line.

Beyak: C-. Don't like him at all but he's still miles better than Mitch Peacock and Gary Galley.

Hnidy: C-. Don't mind him but his love for Stu and ****** vets is cringeworthy.

Edmonds: F "Scuh-hoooores"

Munz: C- Would have been an F until we got Edmonds and discovered what a F really is.

Orlesky: C not great but the only one at TSN Jets with enough stones to ask a tough question once a year.

Lawless & Order: F

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If Chevy gets an F ... what's the Canucks Benning grade? Today on sportsnet the story came out that the Blackhawks really wanted Hamhuis and not Ladd but the Canucks refused to take Dano and the Hawks first ... Ouch.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
If Chevy gets an F ... what's the Canucks Benning grade? Today on sportsnet the story came out that the Blackhawks really wanted Hamhuis and not Ladd but the Canucks refused to take Dano and the Hawks first ... Ouch.

Every Canucks fan would give him an F.

And when you head over to the a wings board, you'll find that 80% of Wings fans want Holland fired. 25 consecutive years of playoffs and counting (18 w Holland) - a record in professional sports. 4 cups, 5 presidents trophies and 10 division titles. And people here think I'm cynical for thinking Chevy is bad :laugh:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wheeler: A+
Scheifele: A+
Ehlers: A
Little: B+
Perreault: A
Stafford: D+
Dano: C
Burmistrov: C-
Armia: B
Thorburn: F
Copp: C
Lowry: D
Petan: C+
Peluso: F
Halischuk: D

Buff: A
Myers: C+
Trouba: B-
Enstrom: C+
Stuart: F
Chiarot: D
Postma: B-

Pavelec: F
Huthinson: D-
Hellebuyck: B+

Maurice: D+
Vincent: F
Huddy: F

Cheveldayoff: F-
For a team that finished 6th last, those marks are pretty high.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wheeler: A+
Scheifele: A+
Ehlers: A
Little: B+
Perreault: A
Dano: C+
Burmistrov: C-
Armia: B
Thorburn: D
Petan: C+
Peluso: F
Halischuk: D

Myers: B
His all around game improved greatly this year. Went from a negative rel corsi to a positive while playing fairly difficult minutes. I look forward to seeing a bit more growth next year.
Trouba: B-
Enstrom: C+
Stuart: F
Postma: B-

Huthinson: D
Hellebuyck: B+

Maurice: C+
Team was good at ES and a lot of young guys took steps forward under his direction.

Huddy: C
Buff continues to excel and Myers game developed pretty well. This was offset by having Stuart stapled to Trouba and leaving Postma I'm the box.

Chevy: B
Last 1st round pick looks like a franchise winger in the making, locked Buff up to great deal and trades Ladd for a strong return. A bunch of his draft picks also gain ed some traction at the NHL level this past year.

I think you nailed it. A might make a couple minor changes but overall dead on IMO.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
For a team that finished 6th last, those marks are pretty high.

I tend to agree.

I see a trend on this thread that the bottom-6 guys are disproportionately being given the worst grades and the top-6 being given a "free pass". In my view, it should be opposite ... considering useage and role, I'd tend to be a bit more forgiving on the guys lower in the roster and be tougher on the guys who are expected to do the heavy lifting.

With the caveat that I haven't watched as many games as most on this forum, I'd only be handing out A's to Wheeler and Buff. Wheeler played like a man possessed all season and if a lone player could single-handedly carry a team he would have. Buff was also excellent and it seemed to me there was a lot less of "bad Buff" this season than in the past.

But giving guys like Peluso and Thor F's ... I don't understand the hate these players garner. They may not be the best 4th liners in the world, but they are not the worst, either, in my opinion. When he played this season, I thought Peluso was actually playing like a legitimate hockey player this season. Still only worthy of 13th forward status but I thought he was modestly respectable for his role. In 35 games he had 1 goal, 4 assists, was +4, and annihilated everyone he dropped the gloves with. Again, as a 13th forward, that seems respectable enough to garner a C in my books.

I'm just as guilty of bias as the rest, so maybe my outdated love of hard-working glue guys is at play in being a bit more forgiving of guys who only played 5 minutes a night and had less impact on the game than players higher on the depth chart. But I think there's some bias going on.

FOr what it's worth, here are my rough grades based on the games I watched/listened to on 1290 over the year:

Wheeler: A
Scheifele: B+
Ehlers: B-
Little: C
Perreault: C+
Dano: C
Burmistrov: C (would be a D but for his late season improvement)
Armia: C+
Thorburn: C
Petan: C- (would be a D but for his improvement upon recall)
Peluso: C
Halischuk: C

Myers: C+
Trouba: C
Enstrom: C-
Stuart: D
Postma: C
Melchiori: C (he surprised me in a good way)

Huthinson: D
Hellebuyck: B (great to start then started tapering off)

Maurice: C+ (the team's 5v5 numbers are still very good)

Huddy: C
Flaherty: F (assuming goalie coach has impact and goalies aren't just "voodoo")

Chevy: B

Munz and Edmonds: B+ (I listen to a lot more games on TSN 1290 when I watch; don't understand the hate for these guys at all, I quite enjoy their play-by-play and I find that I can visualise the game well from their commentary)

Stacey Natress: C+ (again don't understand the hate; she's not great but not bad)

In my view, a bunch of C's (fair-to-middling performances) sprinkled with a few D's and F's where players just regressed a lot or where their role had more impact on final standings (mostly the goalies who, in my view, had the biggest impact on the team), and a few bright spots (Schweelers line mostly) reflect the record we had. The guys who play on PK had their grades lowered because they deserve a share of the blame for our horrific PK it's not 100% on the coach although in my view Vincent should not let the door hit him on the way out this off-season. Or, as much as I like Maurice, if he's going to take it all on himself then he needs to resign at the end of next season if the PK doesn't improve.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Standard caveat about expectations playing a role in the grades, so someone like Dano gets graded on an easier curve than Ladd.

Wheeler - A
Scheifele - A
Little - B+
Perreault - B+
Ehlers - B
Dano - B-
Ladd - C+/B-
Armia - C+
Petan - C+
Stafford - C
Burmistrov - C-
Copp - C-
Lowry - D
Thorburn - D
Halischuk - D
Peluso - D-

Byfuglien - A-
Trouba - B
Myers - B-
Postma - B-
Enstrom - C+
Chiarot - C
Pardy - C
Stuart - F
Melchiori - F

Pavelec - D
Hutchinson - D+
Hellebuyck - B/B+

Maurice and the staff - F
Chevy's 2015 offseason - F
Chevy's moves this season - B+
Chevy's grade as a GM to date - D

That's pretty good, actually it's bang on!:handclap: Only objection is Dano, I'd give him a C

Not directed at you Hank but really don't understand how a GM with a team only in the playoffs for 20% of his tenure can get an overall grade higher than a C, as for Maurice there is no way a coach of a non-playoff team should be above a D especially for a team near the bottom of the league in special teams, near the top in penalties and with a 20+ drop in points from last season and some real strange coaching decisions! In some markets Mo's coaching performance this season would have gotten him fired!

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's pretty good, actually it's bang on!:handclap: Only objection is Dano, I'd give him a C

Not directed at you Hank but really don't understand how a GM with a team only in the playoffs for 20% of his tenure can get an overall grade higher than a C, as for Maurice there is no way a coach of a non-playoff team should be above a D especially for a team near the bottom of the league in special teams, near the top in penalties and with a 20+ drop in points from last season and some real strange coaching decisions!

If the Jets become a really competitive team in the next couple of seasons should Chevy's grade rise, even though the success is based on decisions he's made in earlier seasons? I just don't understand the logic of changing a GM's grade every season when the strategy involves long-range thinking.

I don't see too many grades for Chipman. I guess he gets and "F" from a lot of posters because he hired Chevy and Zinger. Maybe next season he'll become a grade "B" owner if the team improves. :laugh:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
If the Jets become a really competitive team in the next couple of seasons should Chevy's grade rise, even though the success is based on decisions he's made in earlier seasons. I just don't understand the logic of changing a GM's grade every season when the strategy involves long-range thinking.

I don't see too many grades for Chipman. I guess he gets and "F" from a lot of posters because he hired Chevy and Zinger. Maybe next season he'll become a grade "B" owner if the team improves. :laugh:

I believe I gave Chevy a B+ last season, his overall GPA in my books is 1.9!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'll add my other ratings:

Natress: D. Too church-choiry for my tastes. Poor grade reflects over-usuage like Thor on 2nd line.

Beyak: C-. Don't like him at all but he's still miles better than Mitch Peacock and Gary Galley.

Hnidy: C-. Don't mind him but his love for Stu and ****** vets is cringeworthy.

Edmonds: F "Scuh-hoooores"

Munz: C- Would have been an F until we got Edmonds and discovered what a F really is.

Orlesky: C not great but the only one at TSN Jets with enough stones to ask a tough question once a year.

Lawless & Order: F

I guess Chipman's an "F" too because he hired all of these people. He's been a total failure as a franchise owner. We need to get an owner that is smarter or more committed to winning, like other franchises have. :sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I believe I gave Chevy a B+ last season, his overall GPA in my books is 1.9!

I gave Chevy a "B" last season, and a "B" the season before, and a "B" after this season. I think he should have been more consistent in the application of his strategy, but I think he's generally performed well in the draft and develop strategy, on balance I think his trades have been above average (based on current evaluation), and his contracts have been mixed (good marks for Little, Wheeler, Perreault, Buff, etc. and bad marks for Pavs and Stu, and "meh" marks for Stafford and a few others).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Overall, at this juncture, my basis for judging Chevy and the organization at this point is based on the following:

2011:

Forwards: Little, Ladd, Wheeler, Kane, Burmistrov, Antropov, Miettinen, Slater, Stapleton, Glass, Thorburn, Fehr.

Defense: Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, Oduya, Hainsey, Stuart, Flood, Clitsome

Goal: Pavs, Mason

Prospects: Telegin, Klingberg, Kulda, Machacek, Chiarot, Postma

2016:

Forwards: Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Little, Perreault, Stafford, Burmi, Lowry, Copp, Dano, Armia, Thorburn

Defense: Enstrom, Buff, Trouba, Myers, Chiarot, Stuart, Postma

Goal: Pavs, Hutch

Prospects: Hellebuyck, Connor, Petan, Morrissey, Lemieux, Comrie, Roslovic, Kosmachuk, Lipon, De Leo, Harkins, Spacek, etc.

I've probably missed some players / prospects at both end of the spectrum, but you get the general idea.

In my view, an "F" grade would be making things worse, "A" would be knocking it out of the park, "B" grade is improving things markedly, but missing out on some potential progress.

Or, you could just look at the record every year and oscillate the grade based on the final standings.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Overall, at this juncture, my basis for judging Chevy and the organization at this point is based on the following:

2011:

Forwards: Little, Ladd, Wheeler, Kane, Burmistrov, Antropov, Miettinen, Slater, Stapleton, Glass, Thorburn, Fehr.

Defense: Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, Oduya, Hainsey, Stuart, Flood, Clitsome

Goal: Pavs, Mason

Prospects: Telegin, Klingberg, Kulda, Machacek, Chiarot, Postma

2016:

Forwards: Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Little, Perreault, Stafford, Burmi, Lowry, Copp, Dano, Armia, Thorburn

Defense: Enstrom, Buff, Trouba, Myers, Chiarot, Stuart, Postma

Goal: Pavs, Hutch

Prospects: Hellebuyck, Connor, Petan, Morrissey, Lemieux, Comrie, Roslovic, Kosmachuk, Lipon, De Leo, Harkins, Spacek, etc.

I've probably missed some players / prospects at both end of the spectrum, but you get the general idea.

In my view, an "F" grade would be making things worse, "A" would be knocking it out of the park, "B" grade is improving things markedly, but missing out on some potential progress.

Or, you could just look at the record every year and oscillate the grade based on the final standings.

Beyond the vast improvement in prospect depth, its not a slam dunk to me.

Still have a good top 6 F & a bottom 6 that may be OK (or maybe won't - time will tell if many of those guys will make a successful career). So, improvement but not massive.

D -- came in with a good young top 4 and minimal support afterwards. Still have a good but not young top 4 & very little afterwards. No improvement.

G -- Pavs was sold as an up & comer. He should be long gone but he's still here with another in a long rotation of backups. Need to rely on our prospects for the future.

So, yes he has improved our prospect depth but we had nothing coming in so an improvement was unavoidable. Nevertheless, I'm giving him full marks for the P improvement. Beyond that though, too little improvement, to much dittling in between, too many silly contracts & unneccessary signings.

C- is as high as I'd ever give him at this point. Is his job in danger, not a chance -- Chipman will resign him for the max as soon as possible because thats just the way Chipman operates. But like others have said, public sentiment may shift rapidly regarding Chevy if this group of promising prospects continues to fall flat for both the Jets & Moose in future.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Beyond the vast improvement in prospect depth, its not a slam dunk to me.

Still have a good top 6 F & a bottom 6 that may be OK (or maybe won't - time will tell if many of those guys will make a successful career). So, improvement but not massive.

D -- came in with a good young top 4 and minimal support afterwards. Still have a good but not young top 4 & very little afterwards. No improvement.

G -- Pavs was sold as an up & comer. He should be long gone but he's still here with another in a long rotation of backups. Need to rely on our prospects for the future.

So, yes he has improved our prospect depth but we had nothing coming in so an improvement was unavoidable. Nevertheless, I'm giving him full marks for the P improvement. Beyond that though, too little improvement, to much dittling in between, too many silly contracts & unneccessary signings.

C- is as high as I'd ever give him at this point. Is his job in danger, not a chance -- Chipman will resign him for the max as soon as possible because thats just the way Chipman operates. But like others have said, public sentiment may shift rapidly regarding Chevy if this group of promising prospects continues to fall flat for both the Jets & Moose in future.

The bottom end of the Jets roster is now filled with young and promising players. To me that's an improvement, even though they are too young to perform to the same level as the vets in 2011.

The huge improvement in the prospects can't really be reflected on the roster until they make it to the NHL full-time. At that point, it's a better time to more fully assess the success of the strategy. That's why my view is that we are still a year or two away from being able to fully judge the success. We haven't seen whether the prospects are good enough to make this a really competitive team. We are only just now seeing Scheifele emerge to his full potential, as an example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad