2015-2016 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread

Kosikarzzz

Mar 10, 2004
Windsor
Is the development program Boston (aka Providence) the problem? Just looking at all the prospects that Boston develops and wonder if it's drafting...or development.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
this year sucks..at least hoped for a long run for the baby bs to get them experience. Seems the Bs can't wni. this season. Next Sharks win cup for 30th pick..final kick in the bag

jetsjets1028

Oct 16, 2011
Wilkes Barre was ahead of us all year in either first or second place until we overtook them last week. :laugh: How is that one of the biggest upsets ever?

everybody inc WBS fans and writers had providence in 3 or 4... when mark divver picked providence in 5 some people told him he was being too nice to WBS.. with all talent pbruins had espec when players from boston returning and WBS players still in pit like sheary pbruins were way better at this point... wbs fans wernt feeling good at all as some were saying theyd be happy to win 1 but some were resigned that theyd prob get swept.. embarrasing for ahlbruins to lose to this team and that goalie all 3 games as this was suppose to be a deep playoff run for ahlbruins

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
everybody inc WBS fans and writers had providence in 3 or 4... when mark divver picked providence in 5 some people told him he was being too nice to WBS.. with all talent pbruins had espec when players from boston returning and WBS players still in pit like sheary pbruins were way better at this point... wbs fans wernt feeling good at all as some were saying theyd be happy to win 1 but some were resigned that theyd prob get swept.. embarrasing for ahlbruins to lose to this team and that goalie all 3 games as this was suppose to be a deep playoff run for ahlbruins

That's why they play the games on the ice. WBS had a ton of veterans (a lot of dirty SOBs especially) plus they added a guy like Sprong who killed us. If Bridgeport beat Toronto, THAT would be a major upset. The most disappointing thing about this series is apparently the PBruins arrogantly thought like you did that this was a walk in the park and didn't show up until the third period of the elimination game.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Wow! Providence Bruins seem to play similar to the Boston Bruins.

Don't show up to play when it matters.

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
Seems like the past few postseasons people have been saying how stacked Providence is going to be...and they never do anything. Are we overrating the prospects?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Seems like the past few postseasons people have been saying how stacked Providence is going to be...and they never do anything. Are we overrating the prospects?

I do my own thing if you think I overrate just skip my posts

I'll leave the evaluations to Kirk on prospects

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Providence had a D of:

Casto
Irwin
Breen
Cross

With sprinklings of Youds, Arnesson, Simonelli, Chiller.

Not exactly a Murderer's Row on D. I think PRO will be more "stacked" in the next few years than in a long time?

Grizz, O'Gara, Castro, Arnesson on D.

Czarnik, Heinen, DeBrusk, Cave, etc up front.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
The Orr-lead Bruins had to suffer the heart break of losing 3 ot games in one series, including a 2ot elimination loss, before they eventually won their first Stanley Cup.

Can't underestimate the value of the experience on their future careers that the Bruins' prospects have gained from the 3 hard-fought lossess.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
is mcintyre good? Pretty tough first pro year for him. Never really seemed to play great at any point. He's still young but disappointing that he didn't have a great year considering his dominance in the ncaa

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Wow! Providence Bruins seem to play similar to the Boston Bruins.

Don't show up to play when it matters.

Great, bruins type players ;)

No, people make the mistake of thinking "great prospects = great AHL team". Usually the team that wins the Calder Cup have many confirmed AHL'ers, not promising prospects. Young players are still learning the game and will make mistakes

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
is mcintyre good? Pretty tough first pro year for him. Never really seemed to play great at any point. He's still young but disappointing that he didn't have a great year considering his dominance in the ncaa

Might be another Hutchinson. I say we give him a little more time.

No, people make the mistake of thinking "great prospects = great AHL team". Usually the team that wins the Calder Cup have many confirmed AHL'ers, not promising prospects. Young players are still learning the game and will make mistakes

Wilkes Barre and Hershey had an arms race just prior to the season loading up on vets. Most everyone thought they would be the top two teams in the division. Yes, plugs like Sestito, Mouillierat, Oleksy and O'Neil, who would have absolutely zero impact on an NHL game, nevermind an NHL playoff series, do matter at this level. And both their parent clubs are doing just fine.....

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
What prospects on Providence do we overrate? There are what, three possible forward NHL'ers on the team in Vatrano, Czarnik and Koko?

Wasn't WB scattered with all like older ex-NHL'ers?

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com

Not sure McIntyre is someone the B's (or fans) should be worrying about. He had his struggles early on, surely, but he salvaged a pretty solid 1st pro year.

Keep in mind, Morrow, C. Miller, and Z Trotman were skating (or riding the bike) for Boston all season. Arnesson was injured for the end of the season. So...if anything Providence suffered from a lack of Defensive depth all season long.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I'd like to point out (I heard it Saturday, and Divver tweeted it yesterday) Ben Sexton had a hand injury and got surgery and was thought to be out for another three weeks. He came back after ten days. Had a decent entire game too.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What prospects on Providence do we overrate? There are what, three possible forward NHL'ers on the team in Vatrano, Czarnik and Koko?

Wasn't WB scattered with all like older ex-NHL'ers?

Pretty sure I saw that Kostopolous did something and I did a triple take and checked hockeydb to make sure it was the same guy

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Is the development program Boston (aka Providence) the problem? Just looking at all the prospects that Boston develops and wonder if it's drafting...or development.

I do wonder why everyone coming up seems to be so one-dimensional. I don't expect the likes of Griffith or Khoklechev to be stalwarts defensively, but so many of these scorers come up to be big club and can't/don't contribute in any other area. Spooner was kind of the same way, and he's lucky he got the right opportunity at the right time. I know some will credit all the great efforts he put in down in Providence, but he managed to stick because of the points he put up. Pastrnak the same way, although it was a very short stint for him in the AHL.

I don't watch Providence. I don't know what situations these players are being used in or what is being done to advance their games to the next level. It does appear from the outside there's more emphasis put on winning than actual individual player development. Should these players not be prepped to do other things? Not everyone is going to come in and have spot in the top-6 with PP time. It's mostly part time middle-6 and depth positions. Sadly it's top-6 or bust for most of these guys. Of course at the other end of the spectrum you have the likes of Randell and Acciari who are essentially 4th line or nothing players with limited/no offensive game whatsoever. It's also possible it's just the type of players the organization has chosen to draft/sign. Again though, not close enough to comment on what exactly is going on down there.

I have hopes for Vatrano making it. I think he would make an excellent penalty killer. I have my doubts he establishes himself as a goal scoring bottom 6 winger. Very few do. Maybe he gets that great opportunity to be a pure scorer, just as Spooner or Pastrnak did, but I think he'll probably need to work his way from the bottom up (like Marchand). He's not afraid and he's physical. He has that going for him, but what else is he going to contribute if he's on the 3rd or 4th line playing 10-12 minutes a night with no PP tome? How soon does he get the plug if he's not scoring goals?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I do wonder why everyone coming up seems to be so one-dimensional. I don't expect the likes of Griffith or Khoklechev to be stalwarts defensively, but so many of these scorers come up to be big club and can't/don't contribute in any other area. Spooner was kind of the same way, and he's lucky he got the right opportunity at the right time. I know some will credit all the great efforts he put in down in Providence, but he managed to stick because of the points he put up. Pastrnak the same way, although it was a very short stint for him in the AHL.

I don't watch Providence. I don't know what situations these players are being used in or what is being done to advance their games to the next level. It does appear from the outside there's more emphasis put on winning than actual individual player development. Should these players not be prepped to do other things? Not everyone is going to come in and have spot in the top-6 with PP time. It's mostly part time middle-6 and depth positions. Sadly it's top-6 or bust for most of these guys. Of course at the other end of the spectrum you have the likes of Randell and Acciari who are essentially 4th line or nothing players with limited/no offensive game whatsoever. It's also possible it's just the type of players the organization has chosen to draft/sign. Again though, not close enough to comment on what exactly is going on down there.

I have hopes for Vatrano making it. I think he would make an excellent penalty killer. I have my doubts he establishes himself as a goal scoring bottom 6 winger. Very few do. Maybe he gets that great opportunity to be a pure scorer, just as Spooner or Pastrnak did, but I think he'll probably need to work his way from the bottom up (like Marchand). He's not afraid and he's physical. He has that going for him, but what else is he going to contribute if he's on the 3rd or 4th line playing 10-12 minutes a night with no PP tome? How soon does he get the plug if he's not scoring goals?

How can that be,they play the same system :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad