Salary Cap: 2015-2016 Payroll

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Below is the 23 man roster I believe will be in place for next season & adding Condra would take them over the limit unless someone from below is traded, waived or demoted to Bingo. I doubt anyone takes Legwand, Phillips or Neil until the trade deadline when they will be the cheapest & it's quite possible that not all of the three are traded. Phillips could refuse & just retire at the end of the season. If Condra is re-signed I would assume that one of Lazar or Pageau are sent down to Bingo & most likely Lazar who is younger & will be waiver exempt next yr. The only other exception is what happened this yr where the team has pretty much gone the whole yr with someone on the injury list which has allowed them to carry extra players but they could & should easily call them up from Bingo.

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Michalek - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Legwand - Chiasson
Smith - Pageau/Lazar - Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba
Boroweicki - Phillips

Anderson - Lehner

Karlsson2Turris*

Below is the 23 man roster I believe will be in place for next season & adding Condra would take them over the limit unless someone from below is traded, waived or demoted to Bingo. I doubt anyone takes Legwand, Phillips or Neil until the trade deadline when they will be the cheapest & it's quite possible that not all of the three are traded. Phillips could refuse & just retire at the end of the season. If Condra is re-signed I would assume that one of Lazar or Pageau are sent down to Bingo & most likely Lazar who is younger & will be waiver exempt next yr. The only other exception is what happened this yr where the team has pretty much gone the whole yr with someone on the injury list which has allowed them to carry extra players but they could & should easily call them up from Bingo.

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba
Boroweicki - Phillips

Anderson - Lehner

Having three useless, dead weight players like that worries me. Murray should dump Smith in the offseason.

BigBush*

My guess:
Zibby: 2 x 3M or 6 x 4.1M (used Bjugstad as a comparable)
Hoff: 1 x 2.8M or 4 x 3.7M
Stone: 3 years @ 2.3M (not sure how many RFA years he has left)
Chiasson: 1 year @ 1M prove it deal
Pageau: 2 years @ 1M (maybe gets a 2-way)
Condra: let go
Hammond: 8 years @ 8.5M (Lunquist type contract)

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
My guess:

After 6 games :laugh:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Legwand's not useless, just overpaid.

If Legwand were a 26 year old guy making $1.2 mil per year, no one would have a problem with him.

You could make a case that Legwand is not useful either. He's just there.

Well yeah, if he was younger and paid less than a lot less people would have issues. But you'd still get some people asking for JGP or Grant to play over him. He doesn't bring enough to be exonerated from criticism. Remember, you and others had pegged him as a 2nd line center and were surprised when I called him a 3rd line center at best.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
My guess:

I wouldn't give Zib a 6 year contract if we did that he would be a ufa when it is done.

If we sign him to a 3 year contract at 3.5(3.0,3.5,4.0) It would keep him till 24 and its his last RFA year because if you play 7 seasons before you're 27 you can become a UFA.

Sign Zbad till 24 with a 3 year contract
when that contract expires sign zbad to a 8 year contract to 32 best way to keep an asset. This way you have Zbad locked up for another 13 years compared to 6 years.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

If Legwand were a 26 year old guy making $1.2 mil per year, no one would have a problem with him.

If he was 26 and as slow as he is now, I would have a problem with him on the roster.

Legwand should be moved this summer, there is no place for him going forward IMO.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
You could make a case that Legwand is not useful either. He's just there.

Well yeah, if he was younger and paid less than a lot less people would have issues. But you'd still get some people asking for JGP or Grant to play over him. He doesn't bring enough to be exonerated from criticism. Remember, you and others had pegged him as a 2nd line center and were surprised when I called him a 3rd line center at best.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day!!! :sarcasm::laugh:

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Should also be noted that Capgeek.com has been shut down. Which is unfortunate. Does anyone else know of good saraly sites?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I see hoffman getting no more than 3 mill. His goal totals are impressive but it is a result of him getting more than usual ice time because he is on a young team. It's the reason why he isn't played on the PP. If they allowed him to score more on the PP it would just inflate his numbers and give his agent more of an argument when comparing his numbers to the other 25+ goal producers in the league.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I would. He is too slow and cannot keep up with the faster players. I would prefer giving the roster spot to Condra or Prince.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba
Boroweicki - Phillips

Anderson - Lehner

Those are all wrong. Michalek will be nowhere near the 2nd line if he remains in Ottawa. Legwand will probably be traded this summer but if he stays he'll be the 4th line center at best. Smith and Neil will definitely be trade bait as well but if one or both remain they will not be playing on a line together unless the coach hits his head in the shower.

Overall there are too many upcoming kids for that to be the lineup, and Murray will undoubtedly grab that much-needed top-6 forward over the summer. I also believe Condra will be re-signed as he's proving his worth this season and will continue to do so down the stretch. Finally, I thought we would strongly go after a #1 center but with the emergence of Zibby, that top-6 UFA/trade will probably end up as a winger.

Hoffman-Zibby-Ryan
UFA/trade-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Pageau-Chiasson
Michalek/Smith-Lazar/Legwand-Condra (I have a strong feeling one or two of the players on that line won't be here next year, leaving spots open for guys like Prince, Puempel and whoever we get in the draft)

EK-Methot
UFA/trade-Ceci(This is our biggest need if we are to keep improving, and Murray will address it)
Cowen-Gryba
Boro

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I was surprised to hear Murray's comments about not being in any hurry to get his guys signed.

I would hope he and his assistants are on this at this time. When the season is over we will either be focussed on the Playoffs or the Draft. RFAs should not be the main issue a this time of year.

there are some pretty important signings to make and term and value are all over the map

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I was surprised to hear Murray's comments about not being in any hurry to get his guys signed.

I would hope he and his assistants are on this at this time. When the season is over we will either be focussed on the Playoffs or the Draft. RFAs should not be the main issue a this time of year.

there are some pretty important signings to make and term and value are all over the map

There are always many important signings every year, this year is no different, just different players.

Unless a player wants the moon like O'Reilly, if the guys like each others, I don't foresee any problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad