Salary Cap: 2015-2016 Payroll

WhiteLight*

Or, how about, maybe the only guy we have a realistic chance of signing, Mark Methot?

Methot is a tier below.

If Ottawa moves out Legwand, Neil, Greening, Anderson, Phillips, Michalek, all these redundant players with huge contracts that are easily replaceable, they'll have a ton of cap space.

--> then you throw all the money you need to at the players you really need. A top pairing defenceman.

You're worried about spending 6 million on either of those 3? I'm worried about spending 6 million on Michalek and Neil.

Spend money on real needs. Feels like the signings of Michalek, greening, Anderson, Phillips, etc. were just signings/statements to show the Euge is not cheap after all. That he's willing to spend. But it's ridiculous to do so when those spots can be filled internally

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
there is no one worth throwing money at this offseason the market is pretty weak

we could bring in Michalek bro but i dont see us letting methot walk

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I'm thinking that in general, as a small market and mid revenue team that does not have the capacity season ticket base that creates a scarcity of available tickets, that we wont be spending as a method of developing a winner. We will be spending because we have developed a winner and not to do so would be to not make as much money off it as possible.

It may well be that such a rigour will speed up development. But that hypothesis is probably still open for proof in this new environment.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
there is no one worth throwing money at this offseason the market is pretty weak

we could bring in Michalek bro but i dont see us letting methot walk

I would like to make room for Vermette, or we could do a trade with the Yotes before the trade deadline for Vermy and Z.Michalek

To ARI: Greening
Methot
3rd

To OTT: Vermette
Z.Michalek
5th

We get a little older, but bring in a familar face to help our top 6/9 and also some experience at D.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I would like to make room for Vermette, or we could do a trade with the Yotes before the trade deadline for Vermy and Z.Michalek

To ARI: Greening
Methot
3rd

To OTT: Vermette
Z.Michalek
5th

We get a little older, but bring in a familar face to help our top 6/9 and also some experience at D.

We don't have a third or sixth in 2015.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't see why Hoffman will be so eager to leave when we've been so patient with him throughout his young career (especially early on when it looked like he had NO finish in his game at all)

The simple answer is: More Money!

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
For all the talk of being a budget team, taking a preliminary look at next year's roster and I can't see any way (barring dumping salary or trades) that we don't spend close to the cap.

FORWARDS
Clarke MacArthur ($4.650m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Bobby Ryan ($7.250m)
Mike Hoffman ($2.500m) / Mika Zibanejad ($3.500m) / Alex Chiasson ($2.000m)
Milan Michalek ($4.000m) / Curtis Lazar ($0.894m) / Mark Stone ($2.000m)
David Legwand ($3.000m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Chris Neil ($1.900m)
Colin Greening ($2.650m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Methot ($4.000m) / Erik Karlsson ($6.500m)
Jared Cowen ($3.100m) / Cody Ceci ($0.894m)
Eric Gryba ($1.250m) / Mark Borowiecki ($1.100m)
Patrick Wiercioch ($2.000m) / Chris Phillips ($2.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Craig Anderson ($4.200m)
Robin Lehner ($2.225m)

BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,500,833; BONUSES: $835,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,499,167

And I think for the most part I've been pretty conservative with the totals. Even if we dump Greening and Weircioch and take no salary in return, we still have less than $6 million in cap space.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
For all the talk of being a budget team, taking a preliminary look at next year's roster and I can't see any way (barring dumping salary or trades) that we don't spend close to the cap.

And I think for the most part I've been pretty conservative with the totals. Even if we dump Greening and Weircioch and take no salary in return, we still have less than $6 million in cap space.

Not a dime of that has been spent yet. Projections mean absolutely nothing.

Next.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Not a dime of that has been spent yet. Projections mean absolutely nothing.

Next.

Methot is the only one with the ability to walk away. And, quite frankly, with his health being such a question mark perhaps the team walks away from him. But then the money can be used on another player in free agency.

As for the crew of young RFA forwards I don't know how you can say projections mean nothing. Are you saying that this team will get rid of young, performing players in lieu of paying them marginal (by NHL standards) money?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If Ottawa moves out Legwand, Neil, Greening, Anderson, Phillips, Michalek, all these redundant players with huge contracts that are easily replaceable, they'll have a ton of cap space.

So these guys are pretty much redundant because they're not good enough to stand out amongst all the chaff.

And we expect other teams to just take them off our hands without giving up cap space in return?

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

--> then you throw all the money you need to at the players you really need. A top pairing defenceman.

You're worried about spending 6 million on either of those 3? I'm worried about spending 6 million on Michalek and Neil.

Legwand and Anderson aren't really redundant IMO. I'd take a 1st and a prospect for Anderson and a 2nd+ for Legwand, but I don't think getting rid of those two should be a top priority. They're both fairly useful and not overpaid.

All the other guys you listed are overpaid and have NTC's. I doubt Neil or Phillips would waive, and I doubt anyone else wants Michalek or Greening, and even if someone did it might not be a team that's on their trade list.

BigBush*

Really hope that doesn't mean Ottawa doesn't find a replacement for Methot and roll with their defence as is.

I could also see Legwand and Smith being dealt at the deadline

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

anderson is not redundant, atleast not until lehner proves he can fully take over as a number 1 goalie (and hopefully improves his rebound control)

that being said if someone offered up a massive overpayment for him i would take it and run

out of the rest of the players you listed, the only player we will have a hard time trading is greening (unless some gm has a stupid moment). Phillips and Neil are not going anywhere because lets face it. Michalek and Legwand could potentially be dealt for picks at this TD or in the offseason. I also think Weircioch is going to be traded soon and Zack smith should be traded before other teams catch on that he is our next greening

so with that being said
Clarke MacArthur ($4.650m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Bobby Ryan ($7.250m)
Mike Hoffman ($2.500m) / Mika Zibanejad ($4.000m) /????????
Alex Chiasson ($2.250m) / Curtis Lazar ($0.894m) / Mark Stone ($2.250m)
Matt Peumpel ($0.863m) / JG Pageau ($1.250m) / Chris Neil ($1.900m)
Colin Greening ($2.650m)

DEFENSEMEN
?????????/ Erik Karlsson ($6.500m)
Jared Cowen ($3.100m) / Cody Ceci ($0.894m)
Mark Borowiecki ($1.100m) /Eric Gryba ($1.250m)
Chris Phillips ($2.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Craig Anderson ($4.200m)
Robin Lehner ($2.225m)

Cap Payroll:$55,751,000

Gives us around 13 million/what ever gets us to the lower cap to address two holes in the lineup. On top of that we could potentially use the returns from our michalek/smith/wiercioch/legwand to try and get a cheaper solution to insert into our lineup

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Salary Cap 2015-2016 Payroll

I tell you were we will be next year.

Bottom of the teams in spending again! We have a cheap owner, get used to it! :rant:

BigBush*

How so?

He stated a fact. It's not wrong. Maybe it's more skeptical than you'd like it to be, but it's far from being a bad post, let alone "worst post".
Ya, shouldn't of said that, but a good point was brought up, just can't stand the "next" thing people write in this site

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Also remember Melynk will say a 60 million cap is like 68 million or something, with the CDN dollar now.
After hearing about how all those teams spent all their money and we look like the smart ones now. (Personally I would like to spend about 5 mill below cap always... to leave a buffer to work with).

h2owned

Nov 17, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
What do you guys think the RFAs will sign for next year. We're at 59.26M cap committed for Ryan, Mac, Michalek, Turris, Legwand, Greening, Neil, Smith and Lazar plus our 8d and Andy and Lehner. Still have Zibby, Stone, Hoffman, Pageau and Chiasson as RFAs and Condra as a UFA to sign. Hopefully we can get rid of some dead weight, if not we will be close to 70M

Karlsson2Turris*

What do you guys think the RFAs will sign for next year. We're at 59.26M cap committed for Ryan, Mac, Michalek, Turris, Legwand, Greening, Neil, Smith and Lazar plus our 8d and Andy and Lehner. Still have Zibby, Stone, Hoffman, Pageau and Chiasson as RFAs and Condra as a UFA to sign. Hopefully we can get rid of some dead weight, if not we will be close to 70M

Zibby: 2-3 years @ 3M or a long term deal @ 5M if management is sold on him
Hoff: 5 years @4M-4.5M
Stone: 2 years @ 2.5M
Chiasson: 1 year @ 1M prove it deal
Pageau: 2 years @ 1.3M max I guess (maybe gets a 2-way)
Condra: 3 years @ 1.2M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad