2015-2016 Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
That's the going rate for a solid top4 d ... good deal for mtl... locked up through his prime and not much past if at all... better than most free agent signings

5.5 for a #4 for 6 years on a cap crunch team? I agree that it's the going rate this year. Pre lockout he'd be lucky to get 4 x 4.

Jeff Petry is making as much as Duncan Keith.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
they seem to think he's a #3 otherwise they wouldnt have given him that contract. and i noticed the duncan keith thing too earlier today but its irrelevant because of when he signed that deal. OEL is making the same amount for the next 4yrs and josi's making only 4per for the next 5yrs. its funny, but we all know keith is worth more. he signed that deal before '10-'11, if his deal ran up 2-3yrs ago he'd be making over 7.5-8+. campbell is making much more than either of them funny enough...

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
they seem to think he's a #3 otherwise they wouldnt have given him that contract. and i noticed the duncan keith thing too earlier today but its irrelevant because of when he signed that deal. OEL is making the same amount for the next 4yrs and josi's making only 4per for the next 5yrs. its funny, but we all know keith is worth more. he signed that deal before '10-'11, if his deal ran up 2-3yrs ago he'd be making over 7.5-8+. campbell is making much more than either of them funny enough...

If Petry is a free agent next year does he get this money? Probably not. It's really bad this year, I can't remember a worse UFA class.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
5.5M per for 6 years with a whopping career high of 25pts and 0.26 career PPG.

I preferred the old NHL without the loony contracts.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
whats so ****ing stupid is that teams hand out these idiotic deals and then wonder why the get into cap troubles.

the logic.. i can't even.. :shakehead

And the owners ok these deals and then complain that they are paying the players too much.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
You bet he would have got more... Both Franson and Green will get 6M/year or more IMO.

Petry was battling against those two for best RHD on the market !

Yup.

Good time to be an UFA top 6 / top 4 forwards and defensemen.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
You bet he would have got more... Both Franson and Green will get 6M/year or more IMO.

Petry was battling against those two for best RHD on the market !

I really hope we don't get involved.

Really want to avoid free agency full stop. Tallons biggest weakness as GM has been free agency. It makes me a bit nervous tbh. If he does any signings hopefully it is just cheap depth players.

I actually think Tallon did better in free agency when there were more restrictions thinking about it!

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
the islanders just extended boychuk for 6per and leddy at 5.5per, they're both #2/#3 guys, if they feel he's a strong #3 it isnt that bad considering his age too. i never saw too much out of him since he was in edmonton but the montreal fans sounded really pleased with him. putting him on a competent team and maybe we'll see he's better than we all thought. if it was an over payment then it was by about 0.5 to 0.75 at most, and thats just talking about his actual value, free agency he'd obviously get more. caps increasing every year too so when you sign long term deals and 6 is pretty long you have to take that into account. I'm sure they'd prefer to sign him for a little less, but its not that terrible if he performs like they expect.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i don't think the petry deal is nearly as bad as the orpik or macdonald deals. the thing that might come back and bite them is the 6yrs, in the event he falters or doesn't live up to what montreal had in mind.

but being in montreal i hope he crashes and burns and they end up regretting the contract :laugh:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
We sit here ripping the Petry deal, meanwhile Bolland..

It shows that bad overpaying UFA deals happen all around the league and many teams are guilty of them!? It shows that Bolland isn't some complete anomaly and we can actually stop complaining every day after a year has passed!? Oh my god I love the Petry deal!

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
If Bolland got 5.5 million because of #Character, imagine how much Justin Williams would be offered by DT. Dear God...

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
he's one of his boys in the sense he's an aging vet with playoff and stanley cup experience and can barely put up 20g per season (give or take). oh, and character of course. although id love to have him id rather have him as a high end 3rd rw, over paying in cap would be fine with me but its the years, he'll probably sign somewhere for 4-5yrs and thats too long if he ends up getting a lot per season. over paying for 2-3 would be ok with me, we have the room, but it couldn't be a long term thing like bolland.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
. If you listen to Dale Tallon toward the end of the season talk about his Florida Panthers, they need a veteran goal-scoring winger who has speed and a really good shot and somebody to complement our young centers.
http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/...eaks-bob-mckenzie-on-phil-kessel-trade-talks/

I thought he was referring to addressing it through the draft? Anyone else who heard this want to weigh in? I can't find the video, it was on locker cleanout day, about 12 min long iirc, this was near the beginning though.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/...eaks-bob-mckenzie-on-phil-kessel-trade-talks/

I thought he was referring to addressing it through the draft? Anyone else who heard this want to weigh in? I can't find the video, it was on locker cleanout day, about 12 min long iirc, this was near the beginning though.
I don't think Tallon has ever sat down and said what they are looking for in the draft. He is too cagy for that. Luce said yesterday to Harvey that RW and a future goalie are the primary priorities in this draft, but that the Cats will still be looking at the BPA on their board. That's a politically correct answer so as not to tip your hand.

Tallon has intimated in one interview in Halifax last year discussing the possible drafting of Ehlers in 2014, that the Panthers need more speed on the wings. I can't recall Tallon ever saying they need a veteran on wing with speed/shot. He intimated he could not discuss Kessel without tampering problems prior to the deadline, but said acquiring someone like that would be more viable in the summer when talking to teams with Cap problems.

I think it's just a matter of connecting the dots as to what direction the Cats will go at the draft. It's no secret the league is trending toward speed/skill/shot and it's no secret that we need a sniper at the wing that has the speed to force defenders to give them space. That still doesn't preclude the fact that if Meier or Rantanen is available that Tallon would go that route and look to trade a defenseman for a veteran that could bring speed/shot to the team.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
He was talking about adding speed and offense to the team in the offseason.

Around the 2:50 mark
[NHL]807541[/NHL]

Thanks, so I guess we can expect something to be done? Before I was just assuming it because it was obvious, but DT said he's looking.

Edit: but listening closely, he says "in the draft we're strong up the middle, looking for speed and scoring on the wings" That's why I thought he meant draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad