2015-2016 Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Are big, heavy teams a thing of the past now? Last year's championship Kings team didn't even qualify for the playoffs. If the NHL is evolving into where the models are CHI/TB then why should Florida expect to have success being built the way they are? I know NYR and ANA were each 1 game away but for whatever reason they could not move on. Seems like if anything is overrated these days, it's size.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Are big, heavy teams a thing of the past now? Last year's championship Kings team didn't even qualify for the playoffs. If the NHL is evolving into where the models are CHI/TB then why should Florida expect to have success being built the way they are? I know NYR and ANA were each 1 game away but for whatever reason they could not move on.

So because a big team didn't win this year, big teams are now a thing of the past?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
So because a big team didn't win this year, big teams are now a thing of the past?

With teams like Chicago and Tampa at the top of the mountain, it seems like teams built around size are becoming a thing of the past. If anything it's like size is becoming overrated. I'm just trying to analyze the trends and see what the future holds..

Last edited:

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
With teams like Chicago and Tampa at the top of the mountain, it seems like teams built around size are becoming a thing of the past. If anything it's like size is becoming overrated. I'm just trying to analyze the trends and see what the future holds..

Anaheim and NYR are both "big" teams. Both took them to game 7. Definetly not clear cut.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Are big, heavy teams a thing of the past now? Last year's championship Kings team didn't even qualify for the playoffs. If the NHL is evolving into where the models are CHI/TB then why should Florida expect to have success being built the way they are? I know NYR and ANA were each 1 game away but for whatever reason they could not move on. Seems like if anything is overrated these days, it's size.

No. You're over reacting.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

One year is not a trend.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

It's been one year since LA won.

Anaheim pushed Chicago to game 7 in the Western final. As EnforceTheLaus said, it is not clear cut.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL

The Kings are a borderline playoff team every year. Even when they win the cup, it's never been as a high seed. So them not making it this year doesn't really prove anything to me.

To your point, I think this year proves that smaller/skill teams CAN make it. Just means there are multiple ways to win the cup. But there are a million other factors besides size/skill/ speed.

Leadership...hot goaltending...#character have always been the common factors throughout history. Team size vs speed vs skill etc are just style choices

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Kings got screwed by Voynov/cap. Playing with 4 dmen for so long they could never really get going.

Anaheim or LA as the west rep in the SCF is my guess for next year.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
He wouldn't make any difference.

I think he could be solid middle 6 guy, that would help our PK.

It's a shame his offense never blossomed, but he has seemed to have developed a good defensive game, while chipping in .5PPG the past two years.

Edit: I would pass unless the $$$ was right.

And I dunno if he and Tallon would care for each other

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i wish we could swap out jokinen and his contract for frolik...

he'd be a great 3rd line rw to have. age is still good, good size, good on the pk and a good 2-way forward, plays well enough in the playoffs and is skilled enough to chip in offensively. jets fans were really pleased with him and thats because the jets actually would play him anywhere from the 3rd to 2nd and even 1st line unlike the blackhawks, he was given more time and opportunities and of course he had a better season. he scored 21g and about 45pt in each of his first 2 seasons here, starting dipping in the 3rd season but then he got traded, they were cleaning house anyways so the team was garbage. his production here was completely fine. i wouldnt overpay for him, but id give him 4-4.33

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
I think he could be solid middle 6 guy, that would help our PK.

It's a shame his offense never blossomed, but he has seemed to have developed a good defensive game, while chipping in .5PPG the past two years.

Edit: I would pass unless the $$$ was right.

And I dunno if he and Tallon would care for each other

He basically traded Frolik straight up for Jack Skille, if I remember correctly. That should tell you pretty much everything you need to know about what Tallon thinks of him.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
If Michael Frolik is our big summer acquisition to solve our top 6 then I will personally call Cifu and tell him to cancel our season tix for 2016 by october.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
He basically traded Frolik straight up for Jack Skille, if I remember correctly. That should tell you pretty much everything you need to know about what Tallon thinks of him.

that was nearly half a decade ago tho. his play on the pk, his 2-way game, his size, i think he developed more in those aspects since we last had him. its not uncommon for a gm to bring back a player. and he was going after a guy he drafted in skille and in the process of trading nearly everyone on the team.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
in the off chance we did sign him, which i doubt will happen with boyes and hayes although id be willing to move on from both to sign frolik, but if it happened it obviously wouldnt be THE signing, we need a top-6 winger, someone who's more of a difference maker, even tho frolik can play in the top-6 we need something bigger.....even tho i can totally see us signing justin williams, probably at even more dollars (but less term) and he's pretty much the same as far as production is concerned.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Micheal Frolik will probably get 5+ million. In addition to being a redundant payer on the Panthers, I already read enough complaining about Bolland, I don't need another vastly overpriced player relative to his skillset.

Free agent money this year will be comical. Jeff Petry got 5.5 x 6 lol

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Micheal Frolik will probably get 5+ million. In addition to being a redundant payer on the Panthers, I already read enough complaining about Bolland, I don't need another vastly overpriced player relative to his skillset.

Free agent money this year will be comical. Jeff Petry got 5.5 x 6 lol

That's the going rate for a solid top4 d ... good deal for mtl... locked up through his prime and not much past if at all... better than most free agent signings

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
That's the going rate for a solid top4 d ... good deal for mtl... locked up through his prime and not much past if at all... better than most free agent signings

That was when everything in Cap Land was rosey and the economy was allegedly getting better. Even then, some of those deals have looked like disasters.

I like that they got him signed, solid young rearguard, but either drop the term by 2 years or the money by 1 million. Too easy to hamstring an entire organization with these deals. One doesn't look too bad right now but they can pile up quick. Not like Montreal is Phoneix, either. They don't have to bribe players with sweetheart deals to land FA's.

By the time Petry is a FA we will all be watching him play with our VR helmets that we printed on our 3D printers :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad