Speculation: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part XVIII Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd like to point out i don't hate Girardi and im more of a eye test kind of guy. But i do understand that with his age he is declining. Not as bad as some people think but it is some. So now would be a good time to trade him before he falls apart on us. I'd like to move him to Buffalo maybe they could use his veteran presence.

Buffalo is already ECHL-level in advanced stats so it couldn't hurt that much :sarcasm:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I don't know that with the defenseman we have that there are ideal combinations if we did move Girardi. With the way AV uses his defenseman. If he used them more balanced, I could see McDonagh-Boyle.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Boyle's handled top pair minutes in the NHL for longer than most of our team has been alive.

That's the problem though. Dude has about 15 years of professional hockey under his belt and on his legs.

5 years ago and I'd be going nuts if Boyle wasn't on our top pair. Now, I think it's better to let the wily old vet do his thing against guys who won't be able to take advantage of his 39 year old legs.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He is old and I don't think you wanna overwork him. But in terms of quality, he's a first-pairing defenseman according to what we can measure.

nVVJWYq.png

And he always has been. If anything his offense took a hit, but he was injured. By the playoffs he was putting up Yandle numbers.

I agree with the notion that he needs time away from big minutes because of his age, but he can handle the top pair.

If he was 29 and had the exact same season, people would be raving about him. His age is causing fear.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
That's the problem though. Dude has about 15 years of professional hockey under his belt and on his legs.

5 years ago and I'd be going nuts if Boyle wasn't on our top pair. Now, I think it's better to let the wily old vet do his thing against guys who won't be able to take advantage of his 39 year old legs.

I like Danny B alot but I agree with BB here. I'd be more comfortable with him on the 2nd pair, especially like I said with AV and the usage of his defenseman.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So? That has nothing to do with whether or not he should be doing so NOW, at nearly 40 years old and very clearly in decline.

Show me where.

Like I said, if he was 29 and had the SAME SEASON people would be giddy about him.

There is a chance he hits a wall like MSL did but let's talk about that if/when it happens.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You could say the same of MSL and now he's retired.

Boyle playing those minutes at his age isn't necessarily a good idea.

I never suggested we hand him Duncan Keith minutes. I'm suggesting he can handle being a #2 if he has to.

Also, I don't think there's going to be one pair we abuse anyway. We're deep enough to go 20/20/20.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
62-54-48-36-36-25

Those last two seasons he had a severe concussion because of a predatory hit and broke his arm on a freak accident.

It's the same logic as saying Stepan has never hit 60 points and therefore is not a 60 point player because he broke his leg.

Also look at Boyle's goals/60 this year. He was on pace to pot 15 from the blueline and likely had a freak season in terms of assists.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Those last two seasons he had a severe concussion because of a predatory hit and broke his arm on a freak accident.

It's the same logic as saying Stepan has never hit 60 points and therefore is not a 60 point player because he broke his leg.

It isn't. Stepan is 25 and can more readily recover from those injuries. If anything, the injury issue reinforces the point that the player is in decline.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A shot hit Boyle in an unprotected spot because that happens in hockey. He had a hard time recovering his game because he's 39.

Well I've acknowledged that his age is a concern in terms of how long he can go and acknowledged that we shouldn't overload him unless it's the playoffs. I'm talking about the quality of the player.

He can play with McDonagh, that doesn't mean we give them 27 minutes every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad