Prospect Info: 2015 199th overall - Joel Daccord (G) Cushing Academy [HIGH-MA]

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If Daccord doesn't come back this year then it certainly makes Seattle think twice about selecting him if they are even considering him in the first place.

Murray will not be taken...I don't see how a new franchise would want that contract with those numbers as a building block. Really doubt any of our goalies are in danger of being selected though.

As for the direct question the reality is we ARE still looking for a goalie with Murrays contract on the books...I would much rather find a vet stopgap for cheap than ties to the Murray contract 4 more years.

I agree, I don't think they are in danger of being selected either which is why I would prefer to protect the one who has actually proven he has the ability to play at this level. We have endless amounts of patience for players who are completely unproven, but here's a guy who has proven he can play in the NHL and who is going through a tough stretch in his short career. The guy is 26 years old, if there's any goaltender I'm willing to be patient with it would him. I get the contract is a contentious issue, but we have so much more to gain from him finding his game.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That’s some relatively good news. Was worried it was a knee injury, still a long term injury but recovery to 100% shouldn’t be too big of a worry.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You know...could be a good thing (besides the ankle over a knee/groin) for him. He kinda went out on a high. Now he can sit back and spend time recovering and strengthening what muscles he can, and watch a bit of video and work a bit on the finer off ice details with a bit of confidence knowing he can be a good goalie with a career in the league. Get him in the right mindset right now, and he could come back even better.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Murray has negative surplus value, meaning his current value is below the value of his contract. Daccord on the other hand has plenty of surplus value. Murray may still be a much better goalie than Daccord, but surplus value is the name of the game when it comes to asset protection. If you lose Murray, you get the value of his contract back, and hopefully you reinvest it better next time around.

In other words, you'd get better assets back for Daccord if you traded him than if you traded Murray. You protect the one with higher surplus value.

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
I think it's even simpler.

If you think Daccord, of all the goalies, is the odds-on favourite to be the long-term franchise goaltender you keep him.

Feelings are great and all, but this is business. Who cares if Murray feels slighted.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That’s some relatively good news. Was worried it was a knee injury, still a long term injury but recovery to 100% shouldn’t be too big of a worry.
Ankle sprains can be brutal for a goalie while they recover from it but don't typical have lingering or long term ramifications like a knee issue can.

Probably the best case scenario...

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If Daccord doesn't come back this year then it certainly makes Seattle think twice about selecting him if they are even considering him in the first place.

Murray will not be taken...I don't see how a new franchise would want that contract with those numbers as a building block. Really doubt any of our goalies are in danger of being selected though.

As for the direct question the reality is we ARE still looking for a goalie with Murrays contract on the books...I would much rather find a vet stopgap for cheap than ties to the Murray contract 4 more years.

I remember a thread about the free agent goalies that were available this off season. There were quite a few.

I thought maybe Ottawa would select one of the tenders that sometimes played as the #1 and sometimes as the backup, but had a pretty good track record over multiple years. I was thinking maybe a 2 year deal for that kind of tender as a stop gap until when of the young tenders in the system had gained enough experience to become the starter.

When they announced they had signed Murray, I wasn't sure what to think. It seemed like a bit of gamble or a roll of the dice, but would look like a genius move if Murray could re-establish himself as a steady #1 tender. I'm hopeful that could still happen, but based on what's happened so far, there's cause for concern & worry.

Reactions: OD99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad