2015-16 Training Camp Thread: Part II

Wolfy*

Glass is done. The kids have forced their hand. It is over. Hope they waive his lover Joe Micheletti too.

I'm not Glass' lover, but I wouldn't mind if he stays. I'd say Etem and Megna should go, Etem is useless.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm not Glass' lover, but I wouldn't mind if he stays. I'd say Etem and Megna should go, Etem is useless.

How about giving Etem bit more of a leash? Don't judge him after couple preseason games. Give him say 20-25 games and then start forming an opinion. Tough crowd.

Wolfy*

How can you call Etem useless and not mind Glass????

Physical play, and what I saw this pre-season.

We can't afford to waste spots on players who might be better after 25 games, we must have the best team possible from game one.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
McIlrath cannot pass through waivers, it's not relevant to compare him to prospect that could play in the AHL. There is also a difference between a D and a forward, much easier to get the later into a few games here and there. Things could work out perfect for McI if we have a ton of injuries on the blueline, or his development surely will be tremendously impeded if our blueline is healthy. To bet those odds and go with whatever is put on our plate seems to be our game plan. I just don't like that, sorry.

Yes, I also think it was a major mistake to not go after Panarin or Tikhonov. I think both are better than Etem (who I actually like a bit and think will be alright in the end, possibly more than that if we can get to him).

Regarding how far or not we are from the Cup, unfortunately I have to disagree. We might feel really strong now after playing NJ and Philly in preseason, but I think it's going to take a lot to actually win a Cup and we have a long way to go. I don't think we can play it safe and just collect it. Need to really optimize things to get it.

It's plenty relevant to discuss the rangers overall history of handling prospects under the current regime. You can't have an honest discussion and arbitrarily disqualify things that have merit. What you're saying ignores a multitude of other possibilities that are very reasonable to expect and consider.

Disagreeing with them not going after two specific FA's is one thing

Using that to justify an incorrect position about how the organization doesn't take risks is another.

You have yet to demonstrate anything that shows that McI will absolutely have his development hurt and you have yet to justify the idea that the franchise has been afraid to take risks. It's possible his development could be hurt but you are asserting that it is definite.

I didn't say anything about us being close to the cup. I think you misread some of what I said there.

Last edited:

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
I'm convinced Viking is now just trolling. Seriously? Keep Diaz and Glass, and get rid of McIlrath and Etem. Give me a break.

*Bob Richards*

We can't afford to waste spots on players who might be better after 25 games, we must have the best team possible from game one.

But we can waste them on Tanner Glass.

Got it.

Wolfy*

I'm convinced Viking is now just trolling. Seriously? Keep Diaz and Glass, and get rid of McIlrath and Etem. Give me a break.

nah...not trolling. We seem to disagree, is all.

Btw, I've never said "get rid of McIlrath". I said for me Diaz would be a better choice.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
nah...not trolling. We seem to disagree, is all.

Btw, I've never said "get rid of McIlrath". I said for me Diaz would be a better choice.

Better choice also entails the future y'know...Diaz vs McI for the future it's really not even close.

It's not even really all that close this year although I can understand some folks feeling more comfortable with Diaz.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015

I agree, Diaz has looked awful at ES and unless Boyle, Yandle and McD are out, there is no room for him on the PP to justify keeping him over McIlrath. By keeping McIlrath we also eliminate the "need" for a player like glass. It's not like the other 5 D can't handle a few extra shifts to cover if he goes off for fighting.

Etem, I'll give 20-30 games before I write him off. The kid is learning a new system and getting adjusted to new line mates.

I'm more perplexed about us not pulling Hank last night after the first time he got run.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

They can waste spots on Glass though? Did Etem not autograph your jersrey or?

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

Pretty sure Glass doesn't help give you the "best team possible" from game 1..... because he is the worst possible forward in the NHL.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Is there any news about what's going on with the roster? When do we find out what the opening night line-up will be?

Wolfy*

Is there any news about what's going on with the roster? When do we find out what the opening night line-up will be?

I'll copy AV's answer...good question.

Deadline on Monday, practice tomorrow at 11 am, live on MSG btw.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Sunday night at 11:55pm.

Until then all of us can sit around dreading the loss of McIlrath and knowing in our heart of hearts that Glass will be on this team regardless.

Well, most of us anyway.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Just because it appears like the best roster on day 1, it doesn't mean that it'll be the best roster come April.

There's no reason that McIlrath can't develop to be better than Klein midway through the season. Etem is already better than Glass. Even if he doesn't have the offensive output, he still can play a strong north/south game, cycle well, and play strong along the boards. He'd be a good fit on the fourth line with potential to be a good third line winger.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Just because it appears like the best roster on day 1, it doesn't mean that it'll be the best roster come April.

There's no reason that McIlrath can't develop to be better than Klein midway through the season. Etem is already better than Glass. Even if he doesn't have the offensive output, he still can play a strong north/south game, cycle well, and play strong along the boards. He'd be a good fit on the fourth line with potential to be a good third line winger.

I would assume that Etem does not go on waivers, but I seriously doubt he will be in the lineup opening night--he's going to have to show the coaching staff he's ready before he gets a real chance, unless there is an injury early on.

As for McIlrath--it's going to be hard for him to get into the lineup as well on a regular basis without anyone on the blueline getting injured too. Boyle will be given a chance to work out his problems--he's not going to sit for any length of time because the organization still believes in him.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@NYP_Brooksie: Rangers have four choices up front: 1. Waive Glass; or, 2. Waive Etem; or, 3. Trade Stoll; or 4. Trade Moore.”

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
“@NYP_Brooksie: Rangers have four choices up front: 1. Waive Glass; or, 2. Waive Etem; or, 3. Trade Stoll; or 4. Trade Moore.â€

Mind boggling how stupid this is.

Lose a player we know is among the worst in the league.

Or

Lose a player who has struggled to adapt but still has significant upside.

Or

Lose a player who we know is decent.

Or

Lose a player that we know is excellent.

Such a difficult choice.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Really dislike Hayes on the wing, in terms of how he looks with that line and because he should be developed as a C.

If Miller slept with AV's wife or something they should have Fast in that spot and move Stalberg to the 4th line.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Really dislike Hayes on the wing, in terms of how he looks with that line and because he should be developed as a C.

If Miller slept with AV's wife or something they should have Fast in that spot and move Stalberg to the 4th line.

I also hate Hayes on the wing. He's better as a center, he's slower so putting quick wingers with him and letting him meander a bit is the best thing for his game.

Miller is the better fit for Stepan and Kreider anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad