2015-16 Training Camp Thread: Part II

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
I've been on vacation the past two weeks. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong because I've missed almost all of training camp.

McIlrath has played really well in preseason. He should have spot on the opening roster but doesn't because Diaz has ALSO played well.

Boyle has been terrible but AV isn't worried about it.

How has Klein played?

Do McD and Staal look ok after surgery?

Does Yandle look comfortable?

Glass is as good as waived but maybe not? What is the consensus, is Glass gone?

Etem has played like **** and will be the 13th forward.

Stalberg has looked great. Hayes hasn't looked great.

What about Miller and Fast?

MZA looks like himself (thank god)

The Rangers are carrying 13F and 7D.

Will Diaz get thru waivers?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I've been on vacation the past two weeks. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong because I've missed almost all of training camp.

McIlrath has played really well in preseason. He should have spot on the opening roster but doesn't because Diaz has ALSO played well.

The general feeling around here is that McIlrath has outplayed Diaz. The organization has been pretty tight-lipped about their decision. Diaz had a good game where he potted two goals on the PP, but other than that, he's been pretty mediocre at best, and downright scary at worst.

McIlrath, however, has only gotten better with each game.

Boyle has been terrible but AV isn't worried about it.

He had a real stinker the other night, but I wouldn't say he was "terrible" prior to that. Not great, that's for sure, but the game the other night set the bar really low.

How has Klein played?

Not that well. Looked very rusty, but had some moments.

Do McD and Staal look ok after surgery?

McD has looked excellent. Staal looks rusty, but doesn't appear to be nursing anything.

Does Yandle look comfortable?

He does. Was at his best when paired with McIlrath, IMO.

Glass is as good as waived but maybe not? What is the consensus, is Glass gone?

The hope is that he will be, but nothing confirmed. Feeling is they'd rather lose him on waivers than Etem.

Etem has played like **** and will be the 13th forward.

Had a better performance in the last game, but was struggling prior to that. I think the fact he has to clear waivers is what's really keeping him up.

Stalberg has looked great. Hayes hasn't looked great.

Stalberg has looked solid, but I don't think he's anything more than a 4th liner right now. Good physically and uses his speed well, but kind of meh offensively.

What about Miller and Fast?

Miller has been a little up and down, but has had some "wow" moments for sure. Came out like a mad-man the other night against Philly, but quieted down as the game went on.

Fast has struggled with the constant shuffling of his linemates. I don't think his job is in jeopardy, but he hasn't had a stellar preseason.

Will Diaz get thru waivers?

Probably not. If he does, I think he'd head back to Europe. I thought I remembered reading about a clause in his contract specifically referring to that.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I think Stoll and Stalberg will end up being very good signings for this team. Both of these guys are on their last shots, and they know it. I expect solid seasons from them in the bottom 6.

I think one of them goes above expectations and becomes a key player for the team, while the other underwhelms and gets sent down to Hartford before the end of the season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't get why people think a guy "on his last shot" will always turn in a great season. Often they're on their last shots because they've been unable to keep their play at an acceptable level. It's like last year when everyone was like "Malone will be a great addition because he's on his last shot he'll play hard!"

Sometimes that stuff just isn't enough. It's fine to take a flyer on a guy like that but it has no bearing on whether they are gonna be contributors at the nhl level

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I don't get why people think a guy "on his last shot" will always turn in a great season. Often they're on their last shots because they've been unable to keep their play at an acceptable level. It's like last year when everyone was like "Malone will be a great addition because he's on his last shot he'll play hard!"

Sometimes that stuff just isn't enough. It's fine to take a flyer on a guy like that but it has no bearing on whether they are gonna be contributors at the nhl level

Recently, it has worked with Pouliott and didn't with Malone. My guess is Stalberg and Stoll will work out in similar fashion. Stalberg still has wheels for whatever reason he wasn't a fit in Nashville. Stoll I am not so sure about as he doesn't have the wheels that Stalberg has but we shall see.

Anyway, it was fairly obvious why Malone was on his last shot, he was shot. He just couldn't skate any longer. I don't think anyone that watched him thought he was going to be good.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Different situations. Malone was a shot player who didnt have good footspeed to begin with and that just got exposed further as he got older.

Stoll is coming off an embarrassing situation - similar to Malone in that sense, but it sure looks like he has more in the tank than what Malone showed.

Stalberg, very likely, took that big contract from Nashville and rested on his laurels. To quote the great Marvin Hagler, "Its not easy to get up and train at 6am when you're wearing silk pajamas"

Its their last shot in this league. They know it. I think that does add some incentive.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i dont think stalberg is the same as malone. I think Stalberg has a definitive skill set that works very much in todays NHL...i think he was playing for a team where he just didnt fit. in Chicago he was an animal. I hated his first few games with us, but hes gotten steadily better..i like him trolling people into penalties...hes literally got this face on as hes doing it...

latest

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't know, I did not like the Stoll signing because I was pretty sure it was just blocking Lindberg and they would not even consider waiving Glass, but he still does not look like all that much of a have much left in the tank player to me.

He's pretty slow, nil for offense, but he can PK and win some face-offs, I guess it's my preconceived notions blocking me out from seeing much potential there.

Perhaps it was the idea that he could be the 3rd line center that really threw me off, but still a really valuable player? I guess at 800K maybe ... I don't know.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Again my only problem with Stalberg is that I don't think you can rely on him to produce points at more than a 4th liner pace. I think he is unlikely to ever reach the level he did that one year in Chicago.

Stoll...I worry he might just be too slow these days, but he seems solid in other areas. If he can keep up well enough I guess that's fine.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Again my only problem with Stalberg is that I don't think you can rely on him to produce points at more than a 4th liner pace. I think he is unlikely to ever reach the level he did that one year in Chicago.

Stoll...I worry he might just be too slow these days, but he seems solid in other areas. If he can keep up well enough I guess that's fine.

Isn't there an in between with Stalberg? His last two years in Chicago, he produced as a low end 2nd liner. Why couldn't he put up 3rd line numbers? That's what he did in the limited time he got with the Preds last year.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
The general feeling around here is that McIlrath has outplayed Diaz. The organization has been pretty tight-lipped about their decision. Diaz had a good game where he potted two goals on the PP, but other than that, he's been pretty mediocre at best, and downright scary at worst.

McIlrath, however, has only gotten better with each game.

He had a real stinker the other night, but I wouldn't say he was "terrible" prior to that. Not great, that's for sure, but the game the other night set the bar really low.

Not that well. Looked very rusty, but had some moments.

McD has looked excellent. Staal looks rusty, but doesn't appear to be nursing anything.

He does. Was at his best when paired with McIlrath, IMO.

The hope is that he will be, but nothing confirmed. Feeling is they'd rather lose him on waivers than Etem.

Had a better performance in the last game, but was struggling prior to that. I think the fact he has to clear waivers is what's really keeping him up.

Stalberg has looked solid, but I don't think he's anything more than a 4th liner right now. Good physically and uses his speed well, but kind of meh offensively.

Miller has been a little up and down, but has had some "wow" moments for sure. Came out like a mad-man the other night against Philly, but quieted down as the game went on.

Fast has struggled with the constant shuffling of his linemates. I don't think his job is in jeopardy, but he hasn't had a stellar preseason.

Probably not. If he does, I think he'd head back to Europe. I thought I remembered reading about a clause in his contract specifically referring to that.

Thank you!!

Can Diaz pass thru waivers, go back to Europe, and come back when his season is over? Is that a realistic option?

I think I remember AV saying the Rangers would start with 8D. Looks like the Salary Cap is killing that idea.

How did Skjei look in the preseason games?

I see that Lindberg has played well, has Stoll looked ok?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Malone was much worse than Stalberg and Stoll. By Christmas, he could not even keep up in the AHL. Right before he got cut, I posted in the Hartford thread that he needs to go, and the staff apparently thought the same thing. AHL 4th loners were better than him by February.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Thank you!!

Can Diaz pass thru waivers, go back to Europe, and come back when his season is over? Is that a realistic option?

I think I remember AV saying the Rangers would start with 8D. Looks like the Salary Cap is killing that idea.

How did Skjei look in the preseason games?

I see that Lindberg has played well, has Stoll looked ok?

No problem!

I'm not sure what the circumstances are for Diaz. I think if he was waived a team would claim him. He's a cheap defender on a one year deal and lots of teams have been bitten hard by the injury bug. However, I think if he cleared and went back to Europe, it would be as a result of a mutual termination of his contract. I don't think the Rangers could send him to Europe, hold him there, and then let him return. I might be wrong there though. The cap implications are definitely dictating some roster decisions though.

Skjei looked rough for a couple games, but also had some really great showings. The prevailing thought was that he looks very close, but needs a little seasoning. Could be a guy who comes up mid-season and never looks back.

Stoll has been quiet, but solid. His foot speed is a little bit of a problem, but not a major one. He's also been credited with taking Lindberg under his wing and helping him quite a bit.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Stoll has been quiet, but solid. His foot speed is a little bit of a problem, but not a major one. He's also been credited with taking Lindberg under his wing and helping him quite a bit.

That's the first I've heard of this - really good too hear.

Honestly, if he could play as Stoll did through the prime of his career, we'd be amazingly lucky.

Wolfy*

McIlrath - it's really a question if they want his physical play or not. If they don't...he hits waivers.

Diaz - he stays, period. Two goals against Philly, and an assist tonight. Great guy on the bottom.

But...they can keep both. A trade is more and more likely, Klein comes up right away. Or something could be done with Boyle, he has a ntc, but maybe a buyout.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
McIlrath - it's really a question if they want his physical play or not. If they don't...he hits waivers.

Diaz - he stays, period. Two goals against Philly, and an assist tonight. Great guy on the bottom.

But...they can keep both. A trade is more and more likely, Klein comes up right away. Or something could be done with Boyle, he has a ntc, but maybe a buyout.

Seriously overrating Diaz. PP points in the preseason aren't enough to make a defenseman.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

All of Diaz's preseason points came on the power play, he won't get power play time during the regular season, and he's not very good at even strength. Choosing him over McIlrath is a huge mistake.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Glass is done. The kids have forced their hand. It is over. Hope they waive his lover Joe Micheletti too.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Holy **** this please.

lmao Sam and Joe are being overly comical to the point where I feel like something is going to happen in the game and I will miss it because Joe is yammering on about some players long lost 2nd aunt/sister/cousin

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Isn't there an in between with Stalberg? His last two years in Chicago, he produced as a low end 2nd liner. Why couldn't he put up 3rd line numbers? That's what he did in the limited time he got with the Preds last year.

I'm just not that comfortable with it. He seems like the kind of guy who frustrates you night in and night out with his inability to really produce dangerous chances and generally looks not that good offensively, but pots a few here and there so in the long run his stats look alright, but his play during that time isn't as conducive to offensive minutes as you want. I mean, 18 points in 70 games with Nashville is some real good 4th line production, but that very good 3rd line production for how the Rangers use their 3rd line. I think you need to at least be pushing 30 points, preferably more like 35 (as Hagelin would produce) in the kind of 3rd line role the Rangers would want. I'm not convinced Stalberg can do that.

But as always, if he proves me wrong then fantastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad