GDT: 2015-16 Training Camp and Preseason Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I saw with my own eyes what Grigs can do when he looks good. I also watched quite a bit of footage on him last year with buffalo and Rochester. It's there, just needs time to put it together.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I wonder how much of his lack of development had to do with Buffalo jerking him around and how much it may have to do with Grigorenko's inability to adapt to a more physical game.

You know, even though you are getting a fair amount of **** here, I think this is a valid question. The answer is, who really knows..... but there really is only one way to find out, and it is to wait and watch how he does this year. I definitely go on the high end of games we should wait until it takes him to figure it out. It does sound to me like Buffalo screwed with his development, the question to me is "How much?"

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think anyone necessarily has "sky high hopes" about him, but rather are looking at it as he's a rookie. He's 21, has had a poor (understatement) development track with Buffalo, and now he's playing for the coach that got the most out of him in the QMJHL. He may still not amount to anything worthwhile at the NHL level, but we won't know that after even 30 games. He'll need to be given a long look to determine where exactly he's at.

He needs to flash at times early in the season. He can't prove himself in the first half of the season, but he can bury himself if he plays very poorly.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I don't think anyone necessarily has "sky high hopes" about him, but rather are looking at it as he's a rookie. He's 21, has had a poor (understatement) development track with Buffalo, and now he's playing for the coach that got the most out of him in the QMJHL. He may still not amount to anything worthwhile at the NHL level, but we won't know that after even 30 games. He'll need to be given a long look to determine where exactly he's at.

Hell, I do for some reason, well maybe not "sky" high, but for some reason I think he came to the best place for his development.

Asset management seems to be the hot topic of the day. I think this is definitely an instance of good asset management IMO.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
It seems like from the posts Greg starts games off slowly but gets better which to me says he needs to get more mentally prepared, which can be done via coaching and experience. If he were the other way (starting strong but slowing down) that would suggest he needs more conditioning

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I understand someone with that much talent will get a longer leash, for obvious reasons. But i don't completely agree with the notion he is like a rookie because Buffalo screwed with him.

But obviously we'll have to wait and see how it goes here.

And that's the problem for me, the real season can't get here soon enough.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I understand someone with that much talent will get a longer leash, for obvious reasons. But i don't completely agree with the notion he is like a rookie because Buffalo screwed with him.

How about he gets a break because he is 21 and for many players that is their rookie season. Young players (even supertalented ones like MacK) need to be given a bit of a leash when they are breaking into the league... they need to figure out how they can succeed.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

I don't think you'd say Duchene or MacKinnon were established vets after one season of play much less have an expectation for them to play like such. Even Sacco didn't screw up Duchene's development that much (though I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd have done so).

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
How about he gets a break because he is 21 and for many players that is their rookie season. Young players (even supertalented ones like MacK) need to be given a bit of a leash when they are breaking into the league... they need to figure out how they can succeed.

grigorenko is actually 28 so he either needs to play like star in next preseason game or we lost the ROR trade.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

The points presented are all valid, i get he is only 21.

But i worry when i see that the flaws he is showing are similar to the ones that made him drop his draft year.

And i agree with what you said, i also believe it is more about the mentality.

bidzey*

all this talk about Grigorenko, anyone considered he may be simply a little sensitive to moving from Buffalo to Colorado. Nothing to do with hockey directly, but life itself. God know I hate moving... with a passion.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

But i worry when i see that the flaws he is showing are similar to the ones that made him drop his draft year.

Please tell me about the flaws that made him drop in his draft year, that he is showing now. I'm genuinely curious.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka

:cheers: to that. I am dying.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Kovalev had flaws to his game for his whole career as well. It didn't stop him from being a very good NHL player. IMO Grigs skill set is easily good enough right now to allow him to be a solid top 6 NHL player for a long time... it is about his finding the way to adapt it to the NHL game. That either comes with time or it doesn't. As of now, he simply hasn't had enough time. He needs to flash that he can make the transition, but he doesn't need to do more than that right now.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
all this talk about Grigorenko, anyone considered he may be simply a little sensitive to moving from Buffalo to Colorado. Nothing to do with hockey directly, but life itself. God know I hate moving... with a passion.

From what I've seen he is living it up. Looked like he was having a good time with Varly and Zadorov at the Broncos game the other day.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Kovalev had flaws to his game for his whole career as well. It didn't stop him from being a very good NHL player. IMO Grigs skill set is easily good enough right now to allow him to be a solid top 6 NHL player for a long time... it is about his finding the way to adapt it to the NHL game. That either comes with time or it doesn't. As of now, he simply hasn't had enough time. He needs to flash that he can make the transition, but he doesn't need to do more than that right now.

:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad