Prospect Info: 2015-16 Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #14

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Am I way off on Vasilev? I thought this guy was playing very well in the KHL?

From what I've heard, he is a one-dimensional player. Responsible defensively but not much else.

That and the quality of competition on the blueline for the years to come and him playing in the KHL and no serious interest in leaving for North America with wife and kid home in Russia... just way too many negative indicators for my taste.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Martels size worries me. The fact that he didnt put up big numbers until being an overager does too. His speed and skill is exceptional though. He doesn't have Hagelins size or he would have been drafted likely with his speed.

He was less than 3 weeks away from not even being considered an overager and he only played 3 years in the league so he's not your typical "overager". Size is definitely a concern but he can skate unlike Akeson. It's possible he could carve out a role on the PK- something Akeson wasn't able to do. And he's a goal scorer.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, those small players have to be both skilled and very quick to be successful. Akeson was decently skilled but nowhere near fast enough to make up for his size.

Giroux is smallish, isn't a bad skater but certainly not elite, but he makes up for it with insane skill and hockey sense.

Martel is skilled and quick, so hopefully that'll be enough for him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Martel also is feisty and willing to go to the dirty areas, unlike Akeson who was a perimeter player.

FWIW, if I had to choose between Leier and Fazleev, I'd choose Leier.

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
I went with Martel and here's why. His speed and skill have already been mentioned and it's pretty well-known at this point that he has that. But what draws me to him is the points he put up in juniors. People will say it's because he's an overager but he was barely an overager and the typical reason overagers are better is because by that point they are even more physically mature like getting bigger and what not. Martel didn't have that going for him but he still put up those points and I think that's pretty impressive. Also, I'm hoping Marody starts getting some votes because I think he's going to be another solid prospect for us.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Here's what I have to end out the rankings:

Leier
Kase
Fazleev
Marti
Martel
Alt
Tomek

HM: Bardreau

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
This is a real tough call, but my vote is for Matej Tomek.

For me, it was pretty much a toss-up between Leier, Fazleev, Tomek, and Vorobyov.

IMO, Leier and Fazleev both look to have a solid chance as "modern" 4th line players. I've seen a few mention Leier as a future 3rd liner, which is certainly possible, but might be a bit optimistic.

Vorobyov is the big mystery prospect. I think he has to make this top 20 somewhere even though we have almost nothing to go on with him. It's pretty clear the Flyers had him ranked quite high and he was there big sleeper pick of the draft. It sounds like he has the traits of being a Couturier-lite type of player.

I decided to go with Tomek in part because he has the biggest upside. Although obviously he is also the biggest risk. The Flyers must have thought of him very highly to abandon there plans and draft a second goaltender in the 3rd round when he was still on the board. He has a good pedigree, will be in a great situation at UND going forward, and will most likely be getting great experience with Slovakia for the next two World Juniors. It just seems like he will be given ample time to mature as a player and is in a great spot to succeed.

I see a lot of people going Fazleev ahead of Leier. Leier was a better WHL player and had a good rookie season on the Phantoms. Fazleev came on strong at the end of the season but I don't think he should be ahead of Leier yet. JMO.

In defense of Fazleev, he hasn't been done many favors in Calgary. He is used heavily on the defensive end. His most common linemates last year were Sanheim's brother, Taylor, who is a fiesty little player but generates absolutely zero offense. The other linemate is Elliot Peterson who isn't very offensively gifted either. Leier on the other hand played on some damn good lines in his draft+1 and draft+2 seasons in Portland.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have a really hard time seeing the gap between Sandstrom and Tomek.

They are both in an almost identical band of goalie prospect in my mind. Seeing Tomek more than ~3 places behind Sandstrom for me would be a bit bizarre. I mean, Tomek was universally higher ranked by scouting services, and had he gone at ~60 where he was pegged would be getting more hype despite nothing of note apart from draft slot changing in regards to actual reality.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
I have a really hard time seeing the gap between Sandstrom and Tomek.

They are both in an almost identical band of goalie prospect in my mind. Seeing Tomek more than ~3 places behind Sandstrom for me would be a bit bizarre. I mean, Tomek was universally higher ranked by scouting services, and had he gone at ~60 where he was pegged would be getting more hype despite nothing of note apart from draft slot changing in regards to actual reality.

Yeah, I'm not sure how people voted for Sandstrom already. Hardly anyone has seen either of these goalies play. And goalies are so hard to project. I don't see how he was voted in over some of our Tier B forward prospects, Leier in particular. He's more than likely going to see a bottom 6 role in the future, and guys like Sandstrom and Tomek are fairly long shots. Thats why both were taken, along with a 7th rounder. HOPEFULLY one of them hits. Its the closest thing to a crapshoot NHL draft-wise.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Lots of people voting for Fazleev over Leier, but no one really saying why. Im curious to hear from those who are voting him over Leier.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Time for a tiebreaker poll between Leier and Fazleev? That way those who voted for one of the other prospects can weigh in between those two.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Lots of people voting for Fazleev over Leier, but no one really saying why. Im curious to hear from those who are voting him over Leier.

I didn't vote for either, but they have a similar ceiling. Fazleev is bigger and can play the middle of the ice. I think you'll see a big jump in production this year.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013

Someone gave the reason that Fazleev is bigger. Which is a legitimate reason.
I just think that they are very similar players and project to a simliar role. Leier is playing pro hockey and is essentially 2 years ahead in development. Other than a few inches and pounds I don't see how Fazleev could be a better prospect at this point.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
My actual vote would go to Martel, but I'd rather Fazleev over Leier, so I gave him my vote.

To answer the above question, Fazleev plays quite a controlled, calculated brand of two way hockey, and he has a fair amount of skill to go with it. Leier is more energy, less calculated with perhaps comparable skill.

I think Fazleev puts up PPG numbers if he were in the position Leier was in when he played for Portland. Aside from that, I think Fazleev's brainy style and size make his talents more likely to stick in the NHL. Comparatively, I don't know what role Leier would fill in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad