Prospect Info: 2015-16 Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #1

FLYERSG

Sep 27, 2014
I can see a 1A/1B. I love Provorov and have been pumping his tires since the WJC. But IMO, Sanheim is ahead of Provorov. But Provorov is the shiny new toy, leaving little chance for Sanheim. This is a good problem to have though.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Provorov and Sanheim I went back and forward with for a while.

But for me Provorov edges it... the reason? His mind. The guy thinks the game at both ends so well. Very cerebral. I have a hard time seeing him not being a top 4 Dman in the NHL and he has a shot at being a #1.

Sanheim has the higher ceiling though. He may have the highest ceiling of any current defensive prospect in hockey with his size, offensive instincts and skating.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Provorov creates offense through smart, effective plays and quick decision making, more in the Lidstrom or Timonen vein. Personally, I think it better complements the talented forwards he'd be playing with in the NHL. The more effective the puck distribution, the more time and space you give players like Giroux or Voracek to create. It's why I value intelligence so highly in defense prospects.
You say this as if Sanheim doesn't make quick, smart decisions. He has every bit the hockey IQ
Provorov has. I actually find he's more likely to make plays at higher speeds.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
You say this as if Sanheim doesn't make quick, smart decisions. He has every bit the hockey IQ
Provorov has. I actually find he's more likely to make plays at higher speeds.

I think they will both be top pairing possibly #1 defensemen in the league. I think Provorov is closer to being at that level then Sanheim so I picked him. It's not really an indictment on Sanheim then it is a + that gives Provorov the edge in this vote for right now for me.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I think they will both be top pairing possibly #1 defensemen in the league. I think Provorov is closer to being at that level then Sanheim so I picked him. It's not really an indictment on Sanheim then it is a + that gives Provorov the edge in this vote for right now for me.
Yeah, they're both fantastic prospects, so it's not like I'm saying Sanheim sucks if I give the edge to Provorov. A lot of it doesn't even come down to who is more skilled in X, Y and Z areas, but which style or qualities you prefer in a defenseman.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Another reason why I voted Sanheim is because he deserved to be the first last time but got...third I think? I know Laughton beat him out (which I couldn't understand at that time) and Morin I'm not sure. Now people think he's clearly one of our best two but are voting Provorov first.

I get the reasoning, but he got gypped the last time we did these rankings. I think at least.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
My top 4 would be this

1. Provorov
2. Sanheim
3. Morin
4. Ghost

I have been Morin over Sanheim for a while but nothing against Morin, Sanheim just had a year where you can't minimize. He was a very strong player and produced at great levels. He really showed he could take that next step and could be one of those all time picks in regards to how did he fall to 17.

Morin needs seasoning, he still holds the highest ceiling out of almost any prospect in juniors or the AHL. If he puts everything together and we hit on 2-3 players, we will be competing in no time.

Great minds think a like.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Didn't you just admit you haven't really seen him play in Calgary?

He's by no means a shutdown defenseman but it's not a concern for me. Half of defending is taking away time and space. With his size and skating ability I don't for see that being a problem. He's a bright kid that reads plays well. It's more about being fully committed to the defensive side of the puck. Early in the year he was a rock. He was locked in. Towards the end of the season he started losing focus. Think he was starting to get bored honestly. He can skate with anyone in that league.

Yeah, I admittedly haven't watched very much of the Hitmen, given that I went with GCL instead of the "other" option. However, from what I've seen and from everything I've read, he hasn't proven that he has the ability to play at an elite level in the defensive zone. That's why I brought up a comparison for a guy like Yandle who has similar attributes but isn't established in the D zone. Am I saying that he'll be that type of player? No, but I think it's just as fair to say that he could be that as he could be Pietrangelo based upon what he's shown to date.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, I admittedly haven't watched very much of the Hitmen, given that I went with GCL instead of the "other" option. However, from what I've seen and from everything I've read, he hasn't proven that he has the ability to play at an elite level in the defensive zone. That's why I brought up a comparison for a guy like Yandle who has similar attributes but isn't established in the D zone. Am I saying that he'll be that type of player? No, but I think it's just as fair to say that he could be that as he could be Pietrangelo based upon what he's shown to date.
I don't agree with this for the reasons I stated earlier. He might not be Pietrangelo, but that doesn't mean he's automatically going to be like Yandle (not to mention he's got 3 inches of reach). That's a big gap. His one-on-one play is exceptional. Once he starts to fill out I believe he'll be a two-way force.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Got to go sanhiem here. Provorov is more of a sure thing but sanhiem has a crazy high ceiling. Both are needed for a team to be successful so it will be nice to have them go 1 and 2.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
The main reason I was so high of taking provorov was because he will, and already is, taking the stress off everyone to rush the prospects. I think his readiness for the NHL will allow everyone else time to develop.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I did my top 20 before hand so I don't get persuaded. My biggest risers/surprises are Lindblom, Konency (didn't expect to get someone of promise after the 7th), and Friedman. Biggest droppers are Alt, Laughton (expected more this year), and Straka. Really looking forward to The 1 through 10 debate.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Watched more videos of Sanheim and Provorov last night just to reassure myself of my #1 selection. I felt affirmed in choosing Sanheim. He is simply out of this world -- an extra level of dynamism Provorov doesn't quite have. But it is very close between the two.

My God a Sanheim-Provorov first pairing is going to anchor the Flyers for the next decade or more. I can barely contain my excitement.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Could prob jump right to 5. 1 through 4 will be pretty much obvious I think

To me the top 4 are obvious, but that's because I think 3 and 4 are easily Konecny and Ghost.

I have a feeling people will have Morin in their top 4, but to me he's no better than 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad