2015-16 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd welcome Tokarski back, although for me that's based more on Tic being an ex-prospect than stats. I could see Coop being a voice of support for him if he wants one of his AHL guys back. Like Barbs and Angelidis, Tic is one of Coops original guys from 2010-2011.

Pretty sure Barbs is out there too. :sarcasm:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Pretty sure Barbs is out there too. :sarcasm:
I think there's a very very slim chance it happens, but yeah the bolts could pick up Barbs if they wanted to. That would allow Nesterov to go back to Syracuse instead of being the #7 or #8 guy on the Lightning. To quote Yzerman:
Yzerman said not giving RFA Mark Barberio a qualifying offer was "strictly a financial decision," noting he had arbitration rights. "We love Mark Barberio," Yzerman said. "He's a good guy, he played well."

They didn't try to go with a cheaper deal once he turned from a RFA to an UFA, so I don't think it will happen, but I guess never say never.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It's delusional I know.

But the Lightning have always been only as strong as their goaltending. And last year we stumbled on the best line in hockey literally by accident and it provided half of our offense in the playoffs. What's the offense going to look like if they struggle. If Bishop goes down for 2 or 3 weeks and we suddenly give up 4 goals a game how many are we going to win? What if Bishop even struggles?

I just want to believe that what I saw last year was real. 2005 and 2006 broke my heart, 2011 broke my heart. Last year we were fresh off Montreal sweeping us and we had nothing to lose.

I don't know if I'm on to something or if I'm just conditioned to failure

This applies to literally every team in every sport.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
It's delusional I know.

But the Lightning have always been only as strong as their goaltending. And last year we stumbled on the best line in hockey literally by accident and it provided half of our offense in the playoffs. What's the offense going to look like if they struggle. If Bishop goes down for 2 or 3 weeks and we suddenly give up 4 goals a game how many are we going to win? What if Bishop even struggles?

I just want to believe that what I saw last year was real. 2005 and 2006 broke my heart, 2011 broke my heart. Last year we were fresh off Montreal sweeping us and we had nothing to lose.

I don't know if I'm on to something or if I'm just conditioned to failure

The Pessimists Club called, they're revoking your membership as you're just too damned gloomy for them.

This is a very good team fresh off of a phenomenal season. The roster is better and more experienced, the HC has more experience and our biggest issue is how to keep the overflow of talent that we have together as much as possible. I mean, we are literally at the point where most of our fans are looking at our 1st overall stud center and saying "ok, if you won't sign for a reasonable amount don't let the door hit you on the way out". And they're right, it would still be at the very least a good team without Stamkos.

You do realize as a fan that at some point this is supposed to be fun for you right?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The Pessimists Club called, they're revoking your membership as you're just too damned gloomy for them.

This is a very good team fresh off of a phenomenal season. The roster is better and more experienced, the HC has more experience and our biggest issue is how to keep the overflow of talent that we have together as much as possible. I mean, we are literally at the point where most of our fans are looking at our 1st overall stud center and saying "ok, if you won't sign for a reasonable amount don't let the door hit you on the way out". And they're right, it would still be at the very least a good team without Stamkos.

You do realize as a fan that at some point this is supposed to be fun for you right?

Last year was the most fun I've EVER had as a sports fan. My girlfriend and I practically had a Lightning dress code for about 2 1/2 weeks. Those same 3 or 4 shirts and my Lightning jersey must have been worn at least 3 or 4 times each.

Believe me I want this team to win and anything almost scares the heck out of me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I hate seeing Vinny's career go this way. :( I wonder if it weren't for his NMC, we might have seen him on waivers instead of Andrew MacDonald.

It's sad, but it wasn't entirely unpredictable. I can't remember who said it, but at around the time of the buyout some former NHLer used the line, "Vinny Lecavalier followed Marty St. Louis everywhere but the weight room, and that's why this is happening." And in all honesty, I believe that has a lot to do with it. Vinny was probably never going to get back to being a beast post-injury, but it shouldn't have come to this.

And, at risk of being too cold-blooded about this, how good does that buyout look right now?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
It's sad, but it wasn't entirely unpredictable. I can't remember who said it, but at around the time of the buyout some former NHLer used the line, "Vinny Lecavalier followed Marty St. Louis everywhere but the weight room, and that's why this is happening." And in all honesty, I believe that has a lot to do with it. Vinny was probably never going to get back to being a beast post-injury, but it shouldn't have come to this.

And, at risk of being too cold-blooded about this, how good does that buyout look right now?

Thats such a load of *********, I don't even know where to begin. His work ethic in the weight room wasn't the issue, it was multiple injuries to significant parts (shoulder, hand, foot) and for a guy who was already rather slow and relied on a heavy shot, that spells doom.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Thats such a load of *********, I don't even know where to begin. His work ethic in the weight room wasn't the issue, it was multiple injuries to significant parts (shoulder, hand, foot) and for a guy who was already rather slow and relied on a heavy shot, that spells doom.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So um was just going to suggest, should we start up a 2015-16 Regular Season thread?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't remember Vinny being described as rather slow before all the injuries. He was never really a physical freak, though. Just solid all around.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Waiver news is creeping out. Looks like Marchessault has indeed passed.

ADD: Well look at that, Richard Panik's on waivers.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

Guess that means one of Gudlevskis or Poulin (I don't know if you can move him to the Crunch) is heading down.

The rest of the roster have to be set by 5pm today.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Wow...looks like both Koekkoek and Nesterov both made the team. We are carrying 8D and 13F right now and 2G. Mistake? I think so...huge one. Lot of sitting for prospects that need minutes.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Wow...looks like both Koekkoek and Nesterov both made the team. We are carrying 8D and 13F right now and 2G. Mistake? I think so...huge one. Lot of sitting for prospects that need minutes.

Nesterov and Koekkoek can be sent down at any time. They don't need waivers. Either or both could be off the roster by 5pm.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I also think there's something to be said about practicing with the big team, seeing how they prepare, and getting some spot time at NHL speeds.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Yeah, guess its true. AHL season doesn't begin for another 10 days or so while Lightning start in a couple of days. My first reaction was ... we are carrying 5 LHD, WTF?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad