2015-16 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Wow...looks like both Koekkoek and Nesterov both made the team. We are carrying 8D and 13F right now and 2G. Mistake? I think so...huge one. Lot of sitting for prospects that need minutes.

I'm still holding out hope that we get rid of somebody (cough Carle cough) to create playing time for the two youngsters.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I also think there's something to be said about practicing with the big team, seeing how they prepare, and getting some spot time at NHL speeds.

Yeah I agree. I expect Koekkoek to spend the season with the Crunch unless Carle and/or Sustr gets moved but I'd like to see him get in a game to start the season at least. The Crunch season won't start until Saturday so he could play in the opener and get sent down afterwards without missing any AHL games. Even if he doesn't play in a game there's no benefit to sending him down before the Crunch season starts.

edit: I do think there will be a paper transaction with at least one of Nesterov and Koekkoek tonight though since Vasy and Ohlund(I believe) will technically be on the roster until moved to IR.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I'm still holding out hope that we get rid of somebody (cough Carle cough) to create playing time for the two youngsters.

That is what I'm thinking. They'll use the first few games to evaluate whether we still need Carle on the roster if the kids have passed him up.

Hedman / Stralman
Koekkoek / Coburn
Garrison / Sustr

That would be my best case scenario lineup. Hopefully the kids prove they are ready and we move Carle ASAP.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
That is what I'm thinking. They'll use the first few games to evaluate whether we still need Carle on the roster if the kids have passed him up.

Hedman / Stralman
Koekkoek / Coburn
Garrison / Sustr

That would be my best case scenario lineup. Hopefully the kids prove they are ready and we move Carle ASAP.

I think at some point we will see that. Hopefully sooner than later.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Was just released. Koekkoek going to Syracuse. They needed to keep him on the 23 man roster due to CAP as it relates to Ohlund's LTIR assignment ss they need to get as close as possible to the ceiling.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I thought we were keeping him up and putting Vasy on IR? Does this mean no IR for Vasy?

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I thought we were keeping him up and putting Vasy on IR? Does this mean no IR for Vasy?

Vasy went on IR that is why they had to keep Koekkoek on the roster ... to maximize the CAP space. But seems once the requirement is finalized (when you submit the roster) Koekkoek will head down and report to Syracuse. Here are a couple of Tweets on the subject:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm sure Koekkoek will be our first call up. Hopefully we move Carle soon and he can have a full time spot.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Well so far so good on my Nesterov predictions. Think eventually he will get top four time due to injuries this season and hold his own. We will see though.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
These are good news:

So it looks like these could be out opening day roster:

If Paquette can play he will either be a healthy scratch or one of the two on the 4th line will sit…unless TJ or Killer aren’t ready that is.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Like the lines - I think maybe the team liked having a bit of skill on the fourth line to chip in a few goals with Drouin last season, so Namestnikov is taking that spot now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The depth is great. I think any time we're putting Killer on 3rd, something is going really well.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
The depth is great. I think any time we're putting Killer on 3rd, something is going really well.

Yeah - we have two guys who would be top 6 forwards on probably 20-25 teams in the league on our third line. Depth is sick.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
If Paquette can replace Brown on the the 4th line, even better. Or maybe Paquette on 3rd line and Condra on 4th

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Paquette can replace Brown on the the 4th line, even better. Or maybe Paquette on 3rd line and Condra on 4th

No, Paquette should not be on the 3rd line, doesn't have the skills. Condra isn't ideal but better then Paquette. Namestnikov if he could play RW would be better.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
No, Paquette should not be on the 3rd line, doesn't have the skills. Condra isn't ideal but better then Paquette. Namestnikov if he could play RW would be better.

I think Condra is going to be the puck hound for that line - Flip the set up man and Killorn the trigger. He will fit, methinks.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Paquette should be on the 4th line playing a similar game like Boyle. Kill penalties, and provide some scoring and defense on the 4th line.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
How would you guys feel about a "Division Watch" thread? Keep track of how and what teams in our division are doing? I know it could fit in the Around the NHL thread, but it seems a bit more topical.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We're probably going to see Brown, Paquette, and occasionally Namestnikov rotating in and out of the lineup depending one what we need on a given night. I think Brown's speed was one of two reasons Morrow-Boyle-Brown wasn't a disaster last year. And let's not so quickly forget that Brown was very strong in the playoffs. And, at risk of killing some jokes (or having them made about me), I do think there's a bit of offensive upside left in Brown. For as many of his poor choices in shots last year, there were just as many times where he got a bit unlucky (post, robbed-by-goalie). There was a loooong stretch the year before where the same thing happened to Johnson--so many that we briefly nicknamed him the Man of 1000 Chances.

I could see Brown scoring 10 goals in an NHL year. Not exactly Ovi, I know, but solid grinder offense.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
How would you guys feel about a "Division Watch" thread? Keep track of how and what teams in our division are doing? I know it could fit in the Around the NHL thread, but it seems a bit more topical.

I like it. Makes everything easier to find. Not that we have so many posts that it's hard to find stuff, but for us bone lazy types...

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
We're probably going to see Brown, Paquette, and occasionally Namestnikov rotating in and out of the lineup depending one what we need on a given night. I think Brown's speed was one of two reasons Morrow-Boyle-Brown wasn't a disaster last year. And let's not so quickly forget that Brown was very strong in the playoffs. And, at risk of killing some jokes (or having them made about me), I do think there's a bit of offensive upside left in Brown. For as many of his poor choices in shots last year, there were just as many times where he got a bit unlucky (post, robbed-by-goalie). There was a loooong stretch the year before where the same thing happened to Johnson--so many that we briefly nicknamed him the Man of 1000 Chances.

I could see Brown scoring 10 goals in an NHL year. Not exactly Ovi, I know, but solid grinder offense.

Coach loves Paqette, so I see Vlad and Brown splitting time as 13th forward. In fact I think Paqette goes to the 3rd line when healthy, and Condra to 4th.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Coach loves Paqette, so I see Vlad and Brown splitting time as 13th forward. In fact I think Paqette goes to the 3rd line when healthy, and Condra to 4th.

Agree with the first point, but not so much the second. Condra seemed to trump Paquette on Coop's love list in the preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad