2015-16 Schedule Released

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
The reality is that the AHL, much like Triple-A baseball is actually two leagues (Eastern and Western). That's probably a good baseline to align your expectations re: the schedule around.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Nobody is saying St. John's has to play San Diego or anything but would it really be that difficult or exceedingly expensive to have Hershey and Chicago play a home and home as an example?

It's amazing how easy it is to shrug off expenses when you're insisting someone else spend THEIR money for you, isn't it?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
San Antonio's turned out better than I expected. I knew there would be no eastern conference games and considering how unbalanced some of the ones mentioned here I'm happy to see outside of the 14 games vs. Texas a balanced schedule. 4 games vs each Central division team, 6 games vs. each other Pacific division team.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I think the whole league should play 76.

By the way, why do the western NHL teams feel that playing more than 68 games hurts player development, but the eastern teams seem to be OK with 76?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
It's amazing how easy it is to shrug off expenses when you're insisting someone else spend THEIR money for you, isn't it?

I'm not shrugging off expenses. Will it be more expensive? Yes. But how much are we talking about here if Hershey plays say Portland, Providence, Utica, Syracuse and Rochester one less time on the road in exchange for a road trip to Chicago, Rockford, Milwaukee, Cleveland and Grand Rapids?

I'm not even saying they have to do it every year. Every 2 or 3 years would be a major improvement.

Theoriginalalex

@3in3hockey
May 5, 2014
Staunton, VA
Shouldn't we be actually applauding Chicago (Lake Erie, too) for taking a stand and refusing to play the part-timer jokers in California? As was hinted by a poster here a while ago, some teams wouldn't travel there "out of principle".

Granted, I'm not a Wolves fan who has to endure seeing 9 teams over and over; my team got the best schedule in the league, without a doubt, and sees 16 different opponents.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Maybe the whole league should only play 68 games. Cut one game per division rival.

"Snowmobile":

Should the rest of the league come to you for the lost revenue they would not be receiving by not playing those 4 home games~~~!!!!!!!!

Think again...................:shakehead

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
"Snowmobile":

Should the rest of the league come to you for the lost revenue they would not be receiving by not playing those 4 home games~~~!!!!!!!!

Think again...................:shakehead

Have you seen the attendance from some midweek games last season? Teams are losing money on those midweek games that don't need to happen.

Wednesday November 11th San Antonio at Texas
Why does this game need to happen after they played each other on Saturday?

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I'm actually pretty happy with the Pirates schedule. There is more variety than in year's past, the local market will get a healthy dose of the PBruins which is a good thing for attendance and the travel is not that bad overall. Lots of weekends so its all good.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I think we'd all rather have hockey than not but the schedule is definitely a valid complaint. In a 30 team league you see about 10 teams. And it's the same 10 teams constantly, year after year, encompassing the home schedule.

Nobody is saying St. John's has to play San Diego or anything but would it really be that difficult or exceedingly expensive to have Hershey and Chicago play a home and home as an example?

Nobody is saying hey Eastern teams, go play this Western team 6 times this year. All we want is 2 games, 1 home, 1 away from teams we never see unless our team makes the Calder Cup Finals against that team at the expense of a team we see 8-12 times a year.

Even the stodgiest of leagues, Major League Baseball, realized that variety at some level works.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Even the stodgiest of leagues, Major League Baseball, realized that variety at some level works.

Apples to oranges. It's a big difference between the Cubs and White Sox not playing each other and Ontario and St. John's not playing each other.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
I'm not shrugging off expenses. Will it be more expensive? Yes. But how much are we talking about here if Hershey plays say Portland, Providence, Utica, Syracuse and Rochester one less time on the road in exchange for a road trip to Chicago, Rockford, Milwaukee, Cleveland and Grand Rapids?

I'm not even saying they have to do it every year. Every 2 or 3 years would be a major improvement.

The ECHL, a step below the AHL, has more inter-conference play than the AHL could dream of.

In fact, it's part of the league membership rules that there is forced travel and inter-conference play:
Parks said the ECHL’s Board of Governor’s last week voted that each team in the West will travel to the East at least one time next season for three to five games. Also, he said, each East team will travel West at least every third season for a road swing.
(http://www.adn.com/article/20150128/amid-expected-ahlechl-shake-aces-here-stay)

And yet, the AHL Board of Governors caved to the pressure of the NHL owned Pacific Five and didn't force travel AND allows them to play less games.

Also, I heard that one of the AHL clubs not playing any Pacific Five teams was given an opportunity to, and politely told the league "Nope, sorry, we're not interested." :shakehead

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
The five California teams literally pulled down their pants, bent over, and took big steaming dumps on the rest of the league. They should not be shocked at the underwhelming interest in playing them by the other teams.

Theoriginalalex

@3in3hockey
May 5, 2014
Staunton, VA
I thought to myself a couple days ago: "I could come up with a better schedule matrix than the league did." So here's my shot at the Western Conference.

- Everyone plays 76
- Everyone plays everyone in the conference
- Pacific teams only make 4-5 trips out of CA, same as they are doing in real life anyway.
- No inter-conference play factored in yet; I'd need to figure out the East too, first.

image.jpg1_zps8vnb3hwi.jpg

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
The ECHL, a step below the AHL, has more inter-conference play than the AHL could dream of.

In fact, it's part of the league membership rules that there is forced travel and inter-conference play: (http://www.adn.com/article/20150128/amid-expected-ahlechl-shake-aces-here-stay)

And yet, the AHL Board of Governors caved to the pressure of the NHL owned Pacific Five and didn't force travel AND allows them to play less games.

Also, I heard that one of the AHL clubs not playing any Pacific Five teams was given an opportunity to, and politely told the league "Nope, sorry, we're not interested." :shakehead

Yup and my bet was that team was the Chicago Wolves....who, right now as we speak, are taking a HUGE amount of crap from the entire hockey community for their schedule. They have been hammered by season ticket holders at an event on sat the 29th and have already had people drop their season tickets with talk of moving their money to milwaukee.

BTV

Oct 12, 2005
Lewiston, Maine
If the Wolves indeed took that stand and refused to play the Prac5, I applaud them for it. They obviously knew what that would mean...when you shave 5 teams off the 14 possible Western opponents you aren't left with much variety. At first glance I'd be a little discouraged by that Chicago schedule as well. But the large majority of us as AHL fans have been disgusted by how the league has catered to the whims of the west coast. So it appears the Chicago Wolves have put their money (quite literally, judging by the ticket backlash) where their mouth is and didn't bend over to invite them to swing by Allstate Arena to grace them with their presence in between practices.

If that is how it played out - good for you Chicago Wolves. May you be the team that gets to knock off whichever well-rested Cali team advances in the playoffs (provided the Rampage or Stars don't take care of them first).

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
For the central teams to fly out to Cali, they might as well fly to play every team in the league

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
I thought to myself a couple days ago: "I could come up with a better schedule matrix than the league did." So here's my shot at the Western Conference.

- Everyone plays 76
- Everyone plays everyone in the conference
- Pacific teams only make 4-5 trips out of CA, same as they are doing in real life anyway.
- No inter-conference play factored in yet; I'd need to figure out the East too, first.

image.jpg1_zps8vnb3hwi.jpg

Simple when you don't take cost or arena schedule into consideration. I'm with you conceptually, but reality is a but harder.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Question: Would most of you still be hating against the Pacific teams if they were playing the same amount of games as the rest of the league? I have to agree that playing a different amount of games is ridiculous, but I have the feeling that the hate (or whatever you want to call it) would be there regardless. And at that point, it would just be whining about travel.

RowdyFan42

Apr 22, 2015
Albany(-ish)
Question: Would most of you still be hating against the Pacific teams if they were playing the same amount of games as the rest of the league? I have to agree that playing a different amount of games is ridiculous, but I have the feeling that the hate (or whatever you want to call it) would be there regardless. And at that point, it would just be whining about travel.
Honestly? Yes, but probably not as intense. Maybe. It's the whole "special snowflake" thing they've got going on that has most of us po'ed, methinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad