2015-16 San Antonio Rampage (AHL) and Ft Wayne Komets (ECHL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I don't blame them for being buyers at all... they had a good chance at the playoffs.

Just because a team has a chance to sneak into the playoffs as an 8th seed in a given year, does not in and of itself justify trading future assets for rentals at the trade deadline.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Also some overpayments too:

Coburn for Gudas + 1st + 3rd
Lindback + 7th for 2nd +2nd + 3rd

That Coburn trade didn't look bad back then to be honest, and Coburn is still a top four defender.

I'd love him as a partner for Barrie personally.

Wasn't Lindback part of bringing in goalies with upside, as they didn't have much there at the time. Bishop just ended up being the one to pan out.

They needed those trades badly at the time and were proactive in the market. They ended up getting a first round pick out of Downie, by then flipping Quincey from us to Detroit as well.

The only major mistake I can come up with for them is Carle, holy geez I'm glad we dodged that bullet. A lot of people here wanted him.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Well anyways at least they are addressing some needed changes with Compher, Greer, Meloche and others coming into SA soon. Maybe...just maybe there is hope for Siemens, he's still only like 12 right?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Just because a team has a chance to sneak into the playoffs as an 8th seed in a given year, does not in and of itself justify trading future assets for rentals at the trade deadline.

We will just disagree there. Extra revenue and experience would have been a damn good thing for this team and well worth the price. It just didn't work out.

That Coburn trade didn't look bad back then to be honest, and Coburn is still a top four defender.

I'd love him as a partner for Barrie personally.

Wasn't Lindback part of bringing in goalies with upside, as they didn't have much there at the time. Bishop just ended up being the one to pan out.

They needed those trades badly at the time and were proactive in the market. They ended up getting a first round pick out of Downie, by then flipping Quincey from us to Detroit as well.

The only major mistake I can come up with for them is Carle, holy geez I'm glad we dodged that bullet. A lot of people here wanted him.

I don't mind Coburn, but that deal is a sharp overpayment. Tampa could afford it because they had gathered picks in other teams.

Lindback was to get a starting goalie... Yzerman wiffed and then later traded for Bishop after it was clear Lindback wasn't going to work.

The point was that Tampa hasn't been perfect and they haven't pushed this extreme 3 year AHL development like has been portrayed. They have a good system and they use all the angles available to them. They don't just use the draft, they don't just use trades, and they don't just use signings. They use everything at their disposal... the Avs should model that, but it isn't going to happen overnight. It took years for Tampa to get where they are.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well anyways at least they are addressing some needed changes with Compher, Greer, Meloche and others coming into SA soon. Maybe...just maybe there is hope for Siemens, he's still only like 12 right?

I still wonder if Siemens ends up and option as a 7th or 8th D on the roster next season. He could probably benefit more from coaching at the NHL level now, even if he was not playing regularly.

At least since he'll have to be waived to be sent down at the start of next season. I hope he has a great camp, as I'm still rooting for him honestly.

If he had developed better, our partner issues for Barrie would be non-existent.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

I don't think Roy will change his mind about players the previous regime drafted. He's been playing corpses like Guenin and Bodnarchuk rather than giving Siemens a chance.

Hopefully Siemens is traded so he at least gets a fair chance somewhere else.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think Roy will change his mind about players the previous regime drafted. He's been playing corpses like Guenin and Bodnarchuk rather than giving Siemens a chance.

Hopefully Siemens is traded so he at least gets a fair chance somewhere else.

Roy did mention Siemens at one point when talking about or young D, so it's not a forgone conclusion that hes trash in their minds yet.

I've still got a tiny glimmer of hope, but no I'm not optimistic.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Roy did mention Siemens at one point when talking about or young D, so it's not a forgone conclusion that hes trash in their minds yet.

if the kid could ever stay healthy maybe he would have gotten a real chance by now but that just hasn't been the case. You could say that both Siemens' and Hishon's career potential's have been derailed by injury

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Roy also said Gormley could be a top four defender for Avs and Everberg could be one of the best third liners in the league. I don't really take much of what he says serious anymore. In this case, actions speak louder than words and Siemens was something like 11th-12th on the depth chart this season. On a team with stinky D.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Roy also said Gormley could be a top four defender for Avs and Everberg could be one of the best third liners in the league. I don't really take much of what he says serious anymore. In this case, actions speak louder than words and Siemens was something like 11th-12th on the depth chart this season. On a team with stinky D.

Ha yeah but context holds value with him as well. From what I remember about the timing it wasn't fluff. Especially considering he was never put in a position where Roy needed to talk about him.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
We will just disagree there. Extra revenue and experience would have been a damn good thing for this team and well worth the price.

Yeah, a bunch of people made that exact same point when we were discussing the possibility of losing Stastny as a UFA for nothing in return a few years back when the Avs made a short playoff run. A lot of good that 'experience' did the Avalanche.

This is a very overrated mantra many hockey fans talk about - much like "veteran leadership in the room". Not necessarily a bad thing per se, but overrated.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Roy also said Gormley could be a top four defender for Avs and Everberg could be one of the best third liners in the league. I don't really take much of what he says serious anymore.

Thank you. I was going to post this pretty much verbatim. What Roy says publicly really isn't meaningful at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino