2015-16 Power Play

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Whats Guy Boucher doing these day's? Think he would mind coming back and saving our Power Play as an assistant?

I remember watching just as many god awful power plays from 2012-2013 with Guy at the helm. They need to bring in a new coach to handle this whole mess, and we still dont have a good PP defenseman, which isn't helping the situation.

We've all said it for a long time, but an Adam Oates type coach needs to be brought in. Someone who will change the system up.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I remember watching just as many god awful power plays from 2012-2013 with Guy at the helm. They need to bring in a new coach to handle this whole mess, and we still dont have a good PP defenseman, which isn't helping the situation.

We've all said it for a long time, but an Adam Oates type coach needs to be brought in. Someone who will change the system up.

Yeah it was more of a half Joke. For the most part when Guy was here it was on Point. Short handed goals were a problem, but other than that the Power play was mainly very productive. I just want someone to find a solution to this once and for all. At least try to. Its highly annoying.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Interesting:

Home PP: 23.7% (2nd in NHL)
Road PP: 10.0% (29th in NHL)
Total PP: 17.6% (22nd in NHL)

Source

I knew our home record was better than our road record (19-10-2 compared to 14-12-2) but a 13.7% difference for the PP is insane.

Ridiculous. And you can't say it's the matchups, because cmon there's only two units on each side. Just have to get it done.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Is there a more depressing topic for the team than the power play? Can someone please enlighten me on why it's so bad? 3 games in a row where we let in a short handed goal.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I would like to say it's just sheer luck that our home PP is so much better than our road PP, but I can't convince myself that is the truth with such a large disparity.

Our PP on the whole isn't all that great. It's not as good as our home numbers suggest and it's not as bad as our road numbers, but I would say it's closer to the road numbers than the home numbers. The strategy on our PP is suck. We just pass around the perimeter until we can get the puck to Stamkos. If we had a real PP, we would likely be fighting with Florida for top in the division instead of flirting with bubble teams.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I was gonna go on a tirade but I'm just too damn tired. We simply don't have players capable or creative enough to make a functional power play. At this point, if it is a coaching issue then it's because they haven't tried anyone else other than Stralman and Hedman at the point

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
I was gonna go on a tirade but I'm just too damn tired. We simply don't have players capable or creative enough to make a functional power play. At this point, if it is a coaching issue then it's because they haven't tried anyone else other than Stralman and Hedman at the point

I have a really hard time believing this. Palat, Johnson, Kuch on one unit should be plenty of creativity. Yeah, Stamkos is a drain unless he is shooting, and the D options are not the best, but I still feel like the triplets should be enough creativity to score with a man advantage.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

Well, we did have Carle on the PP in the Carolina game. I died a little inside when I saw that.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
So, Cooper is the 2nd best PP coach at home and one of the very worst on the road. All at the same time.

Makes sense.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Home team still gets the last change, right? Predicting not nearly as well on the road, perhaps.

When you have two units to choose from, matchups barely matter. Everyone knows which unit's coming first whether we have last change or not.

There's been something to this home/road thing for a long, long time. I say it a lot, but people remember last year through rose colored glasses. We had a ton of issues on the road last year. Our PK was something like the best in the league at home, and worst in the league on the road. Ben Bishop's save % was the craziest one--top-3 or something at home, but abysmal on the road.

We've been treading water on the road this year, which helps because we haven't been nearly so lights out at home as we were last year.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As I keep saying the pieces are there but not the plan or execution.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Why was Stamkos on the right side last night. Put him on his freaking left sport right at the face-off dot for one timers. Look how many goals Ovi and the WAS PP score. Its not hard when you have a sniper like Stamkos thats score countless goals from that spot

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I have no effing idea what's going on, really. It's just pathetic and it's costing us games, just like it did in the playoffs last season. Deja effing vu.

I'm definitely no expert on it, but I don't think it's as simple as a lot of people would like to believe ("Move Stamkos to the circle! Problem solved!"--Like we haven't been trying that for four years.).

But just when you look at our PP compared to successful PPs, ours doesn't move nearly as much. Both our players with and without the puck. Everybody stands still, assessing options, including our opponent. The only time it doesn't look that way is when we start Stamkos on the right and then try to mix him over on the left without the other team noticing. I don't see how this isn't a coaching issue. I hear Coop preach a lot about shots, but I don't hear him preaching much about keeping your feet moving, which, when you look at other PPs, seems to invite mistakes.

When it comes to "shooting the puck," I also think that's an over-simplified solution. Yes, it would probably help. But we almost never have guys in place to capitalize on second and third opportunities when we do shoot the puck. Our shots so quickly turn into turnovers that I understand the players' reluctance to fire. I mean, even when we have Callahan out there, a noted net-front presence, more often than not he's not playing anywhere close to the crease. The fact that we've had about five intentionally tipped in goals ALL YEAR is a symptom of a much larger problem.

Our team is dripping with offensive talent. We also have a couple of guys who can play well in front of the net. The fact that we don't have an A-grade QB shouldn't make the PP THIS bad. We're too easy to defend. With TWO guys who shoot roughly 15%, or better, that shouldn't be the case.

The problem is Cooper, and the problem is Yzerman. It's not on Yzerman for any personnel reasons, but it's on Yzerman for not taking the PP out of Cooper's hands. Brad Lauer wasn't hired to take over the PP--it's still Jon Cooper's. And it shouldn't be.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yep. The evidence is crystal clear at this point. Cooper just can't coach a PP. Enough of the status quo. Yzerman is patient, but we've been patient enough. We're at the point where we knew Lindback was crap after giving it far too long and finally brought Bishop in. Same thing here.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
It's beyond sick. Cooper needs to ease his grip off the PP and also please get rid of that horrible Ducks coach we brought in. Anaheim PP is on fire this season without him

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i disagree with most as usual my thing is get everyone moving including stamkos

when we do that we are more dangerous and get the tape to tape plays

i have no solution on getting the puck in that should be done easier but id like move movement of players

i would like stamkos during his 40 at 3 different spots in a row and i would bet this confuses other teams and we get a lot of easy goals cause two guys will follow a stamkos etc..

the triplets just got to do the right side thing and get to a guy squared up to shoot with guys crashing this seems to work pretty well a one on one move after getting puck in corner going hard to net etc..

p.s. yes the power play or lack of one is on cooper i agree to that but mostly think is the players is same issue on how they start games they have very limited intensity

if i had the way to get them out of this mode id say it to cooper myself

Last edited:

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
One thing people often forget is that Stammer has a good level of hand/eye and can deflect pucks. Getting him down below the hashmarks near the net, looking to deflect pucks, might really have novelty value and be practical if we can get shots through there.

It can't hurt to try...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad