2015-16 Power Play

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yes, Kucherov is WAY too deferential to Stamkos. We see that 5 on 5, too. Live up to the Russian stereotype and be selfish, damn it! :laugh:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Raise your hand if you care about a single player's success more than the team's.

Yeah real Common sense, you take off a guy who was 2nd in PP goals on the team, 10th in the league. Problem with the PP is shots to the net from the circle and points, something that is not that players first responsibility. Yup real smart there

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Yeah real Common sense, you take off a guy who was 2nd in PP goals on the team, 10th in the league. Problem with the PP is shots to the net from the circle and points, something that is not that players first responsibility. Yup real smart there

I'm not disagreeing that Cally isn't the problem. I am just annoyed at how the only time you care is when Cally is involved. Care about the team.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not disagreeing that Cally isn't the problem. I am just annoyed at how the only time you care is when Cally is involved. Care about the team.

I do care about the team. Coop is totally ****ing over the wrong guy here.

storm fan

Dec 20, 2004
I do care about the team. Coop is totally ****ing over the wrong guy here.

Caring about the team is caring about Cally being off the power play. The team had success when Cally played on the first line power play last year. He has to be blind not to see that. He puts AHL players on the power play and expects a different outcome. Maybe they they get lucky and score occasionally but other then that the PP as it is now sucks.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Caring about the team is caring about Cally being off the power play. The team had success when Cally played on the first line power play last year. He has to be blind not to see that. He puts AHL players on the power play and expects a different outcome. Maybe they they get lucky and score occasionally but other then that the PP as it is now sucks.

Yeah I mean silly me for wanting a guy where this team usually wins when he scores a goal to have more opportunity to do so. I agreed with the whole Stamkos and Cally thing on the top line but this move is beyond messed up.

But hey still get to root for him to score a shortie right? Unless coop took him off the PK also. Lol

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cally back on the top PP unit, first time this season. I mean that disallowed goal should have counted, so Coop seeing the efforts from him there. Dude has a golden opportunity now back on the top unit with Stamkos he needs to cash in.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Killorn on the top unit? Nice... He's certainly earned PP time with his quality play.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Killorn on the top unit? Nice... He's certainly earned PP time with his quality play.

Him and Cally work well together in front of the net to poach those lose pucks. With a shooter on that line they should be able to have pucks to poach.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think it's time we give Filppula a look at the point in place of Stralman and Hedman. Seriously, this failure CAN NOT continue. In the event of a shorthanded rush you can count on him to defend the rush almost as well as they would. Not to mention he makes very good passes and can handle the puck in space. I WOULD advocate Drouin on the point but I don't trust him to defend a 2 on 1.

Once Johnson comes back

Unit 1

Point: Filppula - great passer, handles well in tight spaces, can defend if needed
Left circle: Stamkos - obvious choice
Right circle/Right point: Drouin- would shadow back to the point at times, can feed Stamkos across ice or to Callahan in front. Would be a 2nd shooter to receive a Stamkos pas
Slot: Callahan - obvious choice
Pointless half wall roamer that has no role in the 1-3-1 PP formation: Marchessault, not a very good shooter but has proven he can sneak a nice play in at times.

Unit 2

Point: Garrison- one of the hardest shots on the team, can defend if needed. He has to be a better option than Hedman and Stralman
Left circle: Johnson - creative and can bag a rebound a times, would not be afraid to feed to Hedman
Right circle/right point: Hedman - like Drouin, would shadow back to the point at times, can feed across ice and would participate in the one-timer frenzy
Slot: Killorn - obvious choice
Pointless half wall roamer that has no role in the 1-3-1 PP formation: Kucherov- since he defers so damn much you may as well have him be the free man

I don't know guys... does ANY of this sound like it would work??

If it was up to me I would've given up on the 1-3-1 formation back in the Boucher era when St. Louis was giving up umpteen SHG's a month.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'd rather have Fil at the point then the half wall.

Stralmans passes are not crisp at all and he struggles to make fast decisions.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
And he can't keep the damn puck in half the time.

What about Kucherov on the point. If he's not gonna shoot at least he'd have more room to get it to Stamkos. :P

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I thought about Kucherov at the point but he gets too "fancy shmancy" and it gets him in a lot of trouble. Having him back there would be like doing brain surgery on someone who just needed their temperature taken.

The power plays need a serious mix up and I think Filppula on the point and Hedman on the half wall (on separate units) may deliver some results. So long as they're split I think we'd be okay. Hedman and Filppula would just pass it back and forth for 25 seconds until one of them finally turned it over

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Why would you think Flip could defend well skating backwards? He's **** defensively.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Drouin at the point? Has an amazing pass and can also cheat down for a shot when the puck is down by the red line.

A hundred times yes if we are certain of his ability to defend a shorthanded rush. Given the fact it doesn't look like the one man point is going to die, we will continue to give up shorthanded chances due to scheme alone.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Put Stammer in the slot. Get him the puck. Stamclose will deliver.

It's a good idea in concept but when we tried it we had 4 defenders in every direction surrounding him ready to deflect the obvious pass that is coming his way. Plus it's not like we had anyone that could make that pass anyway.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Stamkos's one timer is so off now a days, not nearly as accurate or hard as it was before. I wouldn't put all our eggs in that basket.

His one timer is nothing like Ovy's right now. It misses the net or goes right into the goalies chest, and that's if he decides to shoot instead of go for a slap pass.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stamkos's one timer is so off now a days, not nearly as accurate or hard as it was before. I wouldn't put all our eggs in that basket.

His one timer is nothing like Ovy's right now. It misses the net or goes right into the goalies chest, and that's if he decides to shoot instead of go for a slap pass.

I wish we had someone on the point to shoot as well. If Stamkos is gone next season, that should be one of our first priorities, to get a Top 9 forward or top 4 defenseman who can QB the PP and shoot from the point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 3h3 hours ago
Prior the the power play goal from @RealStamkos91 tonight, #TBLightning were 1-for-44 on the road on the power play

Awesome.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Interesting:

Home PP: 23.7% (2nd in NHL)
Road PP: 10.0% (29th in NHL)
Total PP: 17.6% (22nd in NHL)

Source

I knew our home record was better than our road record (19-10-2 compared to 14-12-2) but a 13.7% difference for the PP is insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad