2015/16 Miscellaneous NHL Talk IX - March to the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Both have their uses. It would be nice to get some high forwards.

But it would also be nice to start getting guys like Laughton, Cousins, and Ghost playoff experience.

The way I look at it, we are not going to win the lottery finishing in the last lottery spot, and the the prospects available between 14 and 17 are all so close that they are nearly interchangeable, therefore the playoff experience for our young NHLers, and even the veterans, would be much more beneficial. It would also raise the bar on expectations for next season. Their mindset should shift from "We came close this season, let's just get in next season" to "We squeaked in and got bounced early this season, lets do some damage next season."

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Both have their uses. It would be nice to get some high forwards.

But it would also be nice to start getting guys like Laughton, Cousins, and Ghost playoff experience.

It's not really just those players because there are other young Players that have a minimal amount of PostSeason experience or successful meaningful Games situations... They Flyers have one PS appearance in he last three Seasons... a Seventh Game loss to the Rangers, a couple of Seasons back. Add some Young Black Aces and the number increases... What this Team really needs is to learn how to raise the bar down the Stretch and win a Series in he POs... or two.

Unless we are talking about dropping down to a top few slot. Is there really that much of a difference between an upper teen/lower twenties slot and a lower teen one, with the cream already skimmed off?... Please keep in mind that the crackerjack Scouts and Selection Group the Flyers have have been excellent in finding exceptional Players in the lower Twenties range... the history has been clearly established -- the problem has been more in the trading away too many Draft Picks to bolster those picks enough -- The Organization IMO is at the point where they need to develop the Prospect they already have, while maintaining the Pool.

Make the PostSeason... gain experience... hold onto or gain more mid-round selections... select wisely... and keep the Prospects they have seems to be he best path as I see it. Add to that the disappointment of losing the PostSeason that is in their grasp would probably set them back a bit push... I think making the PostSeasons is the much better path. JMO

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's not really just those players because there are other young Players that have a minimal amount of PostSeason experience or successful meaningful Games situations... They Flyers have one PS appearance in he last three Seasons... a Seventh Game loss to the Rangers, a couple of Seasons back. Add some Young Black Aces and the number increases... What this Team really needs is to learn how to raise the bar down the Stretch and win a Series in he POs... or two.

Unless we are talking about dropping down to a top few slot. Is there really that much of a difference between an upper teen/lower twenties slot and a lower teen one, with the cream already skimmed off?... Please keep in mind that the crackerjack Scouts and Selection Group the Flyers have have been excellent in finding exceptional Players in the lower Twenties range... the history has been clearly established -- the problem has been more in the trading away too many Draft Picks to bolster those picks enough -- The Organization IMO is at the point where they need to develop the Prospect they already have, while maintaining the Pool.

Make the PostSeason... gain experience... hold onto or gain more mid-round selections... select wisely... and keep the Prospects they have seems to be he best path as I see it. Add to that the disappointment of losing the PostSeason that is in their grasp would probably set them back a bit push... I think making the PostSeasons is the much better path. JMO

That is what I was saying too.

Making the playoffs will barely effect our draft position. We will draft somewhere between 14-17 regardless. The difference in quality between 17 and 14 is not worth wanting to miss out on the postseason, and the valuable experience that comes along with it.

Even guys like Voracek (22 games), Simmonds (30 games), Schenn (18 games), Coots (18 games), Raffl (7 games), Gudas (3 games), MacDonald (11 games), and Mason (9 games)..don't have a ton of experience.

Especially when you consider most of these games came early in their career when they were playing smaller roles. Now they are all counted on for Top 6 and Top 4 minutes. Different animal.

We need the experience..

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It is always better to be in the playoffs than not be in the playoffs. Draft position is great, but you play to win. Every game, every year. If you are happy or even just "ok" with the prospect of a better draft position rather than a playoff series...what are you even watching for?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
My obsessive love for everything hockey. 24/7 365.

If the Flyers don't make the playoffs -- one simply goes into draft mode.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Columbus is still paying Todd Richards into next year. It's why they gave up a second rounder to Vancouver to assume Tortorella's contract with them paying a piece of it. I can't see them firing Tortorella one year in & paying three coaches next year. This is the same team that took Clarkson back in a trade because they didn't want to pay Horton's uninsured contract.

I think it's more likely you see some more players shipped out this summer that don't mesh well with Tortorella than him getting the boot.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The issue now with Hartnell is his NMC will force CBJ to protect him in an expansion draft.

I thought a NMC was void once a player waives it. It's a clubs prerogative to continue to observe it if they so choose after getting said player but I believe once it is waived for the original team the clause is null. I may be wrong though.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Yesterday emphasized my desire to get the WC1 and move to the Atlantic bracket. Forget this draft talk, go Lightning! :)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I thought a NMC was void once a player waives it. It's a clubs prerogative to continue to observe it if they so choose after getting said player but I believe once it is waived for the original team the clause is null. I may be wrong though.

A NMC stays with a contract throughout the duration of it, there's no limit on how many times you can use & if traded the opposing GM has no choice but to honor it.

NTC's are the ones that are less forgiving. They don't have to be honored by an opposing team if traded.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
That goal was terrible in so many ways for Tampa... awful play by Carle and Bishop's @$$ almost hit the back of the net he was so deep. In spite of that Martin shot it into his glove and he let it just roll off it and into the net.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Matt Carle smoked in a race with Matt Martin. I cant believe how bad he sucks now.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

It would nice for the coach to get some playoff experience too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad