Line Combos: 2015-16 Minnesota Wild Line Combos Thread

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dumba's game is going to explode this year, but hopefully Granlund's going to see a boost in numbers being on the top pp unit.

If you could only pick 1 (I only have room for 1), who would it be?

Last edited:

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I don't play Fantasy Hockey, but I'd say Granlund is a safer bet and likely (hopefully) settle somewhere in the 50-60pt range depending on health given the minutes he's likely to receive. (#1C, 1st PP unit time)

Dumba is a pure upside guy. A good chance he likely won't scratch the surface of the numbers he's likely to put up years down the line. He's someone who still will need to prove he's capable of being trusted in most situations or he just won't get the bulk of the minutes Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, and Scandella will receive. He is also starting on a second PP unit which traditionally doesn't receive anywhere near the minutes the first unit does here. He could easily change all that and force his way into more minutes and the top unit, but that's not a given.

If you want a guy who's likely to be safer but won't likely but up bigger numbers, that's Granlund. If you're looking to swing for the fence, Dumba would be it. Ignoring health.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks guys! Going with Granlund, and hope he has a big year for you.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I love the way the team has grown and been coming together. Also Yeo. I think he's evolved with the team immensely.

I hope his freefall tantrum is improved this year. A little more Hulk in a dinosaur shop, a little less introvert teen mumbling a poem with swears in front of the class.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Zucker-Koivu-Nino
Vanek-Graovac-Coyle
Carter-Haula-Schroeder

Suter-Spurgeon
Dumba-Brodin
Scandella-Folin

Let's go.

God help us. Same Mild, different year. Koivu is just going to slow that line down substantially. He needs to be out of the top 6. We have no #1 center, trade away prospects/firsts for a proven one because I'm tired of watching this team lose. Granlund should be #2, Koivu #3. Then I like our cup chances.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
God help us. Same Mild, different year. Koivu is just going to slow that line down substantially. He needs to be out of the top 6. We have no #1 center, trade away prospects/firsts for a proven one because I'm tired of watching this team lose. Granlund should be #2, Koivu #3. Then I like our cup chances.

Cool beans, which available first line center should we trade for?

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah, that's kinda an overreaction there. Let's see how Koivu looks first eh? Not to mention (and I know it's preseason, but still) the fact that his line has looked the best in the games so far.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

Koivu had one of his worst seasons and still outscored both of them. Calm down will ya? I know let's put Haula there, he certainly wouldn't slow them down.. :sarcasm:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's not a Wild fanbase unless there is a "sky is falling" post before the first regular season game is even played. ;)

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
It's not a Wild fanbase unless there is a "sky is falling" post before the first regular season game is even played. ;)

Yeah. I don't get it. It's like this team is all about the negatives for some. I just don't get it.

It's a very good hockey team with a very effective system. They played awesome hockey for most of the last season. That with massively underachieving players and no center depth and a captain who should stripped of his C and all the other bullcrap people come up with. What the hell is going to happen when everybody's playing even close to par? 82-0-0?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If the Wild went 82-0-0 we'd only hear about how they aren't winning by enough goals each game... it's all a mirage. The team is terrible... etc, etc.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Yeah. I don't get it. It's like this team is all about the negatives for some. I just don't get it.

It's a very good hockey team with a very effective system. They played awesome hockey for most of the last season. That with massively underachieving players and no center depth and a captain who should stripped of his C and all the other bullcrap people come up with. What the hell is going to happen when everybody's playing even close to par? 82-0-0?

This is what makes me so excited. So many players underachieved last season and not many overachieved if any beside Dubnyk.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
This is what makes me so excited. So many players underachieved last season and not many overachieved if any beside Dubnyk.

True. I feel bad for the Avs already. No I don't. Blow them out of the [solid state] water!

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I hope that at somepoint of the season we can see

Parise-Koivu-Pominville - It has worked before.

Zucker-Granlund-Nino - Line of the future.

Vanek-Graovac-Coyle - All big guys, they should be able to play like it.

Carter-Haula-Fontaine - It has speed and energy.

Only thing is that I don't know how I feel about breaking Koivu and Zucker, maybe just switch Nino and Pommer.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Can Zucker play RW? I would really like to see a Parise-Granny/Koivu-Zucker line. :laugh:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Moving my thoughts from the Vanek thread.

Fontaine is a perfect example of the type of bottom six player you want to have. Someone just not quite good enough for the top six. I dislike teams that are built with two good scoring lines and two lines full of grinders. That got the Wild absolutely nowhere for many years.

If Coyle keeps playing as well as he did the first two games, no brainer to go with a Vanek-Coyle-Fontaine second line.

When Graovac gets healthy, you have to make a decision to see if he can hang at the NHL level. I would give him a few games at #4 center if Haula continues to do nothing worthwhile. Ideally, I'd move Haula to LW and put Schroeder at RW and see how a fourth line with some skill looks.

Zucker - Koivu - Niederreiter
Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Vanek - Coyle - Fontaine
Haula - Graovac - Schroeder

Looks good to me.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Moving my thoughts from the Vanek thread.

Fontaine is a perfect example of the type of bottom six player you want to have. Someone just not quite good enough for the top six. I dislike teams that are built with two good scoring lines and two lines full of grinders. That got the Wild absolutely nowhere for many years.

If Coyle keeps playing as well as he did the first two games, no brainer to go with a Vanek-Coyle-Fontaine second line.

When Graovac gets healthy, you have to make a decision to see if he can hang at the NHL level. I would give him a few games at #4 center if Haula continues to do nothing worthwhile. Ideally, I'd move Haula to LW and put Schroeder at RW and see how a fourth line with some skill looks.

Zucker - Koivu - Niederreiter
Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Vanek - Coyle - Fontaine
Haula - Graovac - Schroeder

Looks good to me.

Completely agree with everything you say. The more speed and scoring you can have in your top 9, the better you will be. Every team has a good 1st line...but do they have 2nd and 3rd lines that can they can also roll and can also dominate possession and zone time and get scoring chances against any line? That's what you need in todays NHL and Fontaine is perfect for that 3rd line wing scoring spot.

My only argument against you would be that Coyle seems to be more explosive and aggressively offensively from the wing position. In the Wild's system, as we know, the Center has a lot more defensive responsibility and tends to get the puck in different areas of the ice. Coyle's strength is his board play, although increased footspeed is making him more explosive in the open ice too.

So yeah I agree with your lines if you want Coyle at Center, but do we want Coyle at Center? Playing center for the Minnesota Wild does not help your offensive numbers.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's either Coyle at center or Fontaine getting 10 minutes per game (or less) on the 4th line.

If we're healthy when he comes back, I'd send Graovac down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad