Prospect Info: 2015-16 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread II (QMJHL, NCAA and Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know what is more pathetic, Knights playing the Marner line on a PP with 5 minutes left in a 9-1 game....or the refereeing the whole tournament long. The amount of two minutes for "looking too dangerous" or two minutes for "being too strong" just ruin the flow of the game (and of course gave Knights the pure advantage).

Loved Greer all tournament long, some Huskie fans probably hate him for some of those stupid penalties, but best he learns in juniors for the NHL. Of course him pile driving Jones to the ice is a big no-no, but for the time being, I selfishly enjoyed seeing that. I think a big part of it is he's trying to do too much out there for his club. I get the feeling when watching him play, he wants to WIN so much for his team that he goes over the edge on occasions. It will take time, but I think he eventually start learning that less is more during plays in the game.

Two players really stood out for me as those underdogs, Fortin (#24), this dude has some serious wheels, but unlike others with his speed, he's able to at least control the puck and make plays at top gear. He was very impressive, might be one of those "one-trick ponies", but if he can refine and adapt his game more, he might have what it takes to be a JT Brown type of player. His Uncle is JS Giguere for the ones who wanted to know.

The other player is Pu, he's quite big with some serious speed and good hands. I think he can potentially rise a lot in the next two years when he puts more weight and gets more substantial minutes. I really hope he's a player Avs will look at in the 3rd round. Problem though is he probably played himself in the late 2nd round now. Tkachuk was also very impressive, absolutely closed the gap between him and Dubois. He was probably the second best player in this whole tournament after Marner IMO, and that's with Matthew being a draft eligible too boot.

Nantel was good, but his offense and notability came too many times in flashes or spurts. He's quiet, and then one shift he gets into ultra competitive mode and can't be stopped. Anyone judging Beaudin, he absolutely had a shoulder injury. He didn't engage in a single board battle and shied away from any type of physical play against him. Not only that, but there were also multiple one-timer opportunities on the powerplay he could have shot, but decided to hold and pass it instead. These are three critical functions where multiple people can say he performed at training camp. At TC, he was always one of the first players in the corners and his vision made him dangerous to control around the opposing net.

Adding Marchand would give us one of the best goalie pipelines in the NHL.
Lol at this comment, Marchand is one of those, "feel good" stories where he gets all this hype here, but won't become anything special down the road (happens at every single Memorial Cup). Plays a very junior type of game with some bad lateral speed, choppy foot work, and a Godawful 5-hole. If you like wasting a pick, we should select him.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Lol at this comment, Marchand is one of those, "feel good" stories where he gets all this hype here, but won't become anything special down the road. Plays a very junior type of game with some bad lateral speed, choppy foot work, and a Godawful 5-hole. If you like wasting a pick, we should select him.

Can we even draft Marchand? He's been passed over in the past two drafts. He's getting an ELC somewhere. I liked his adaptability and he showed that he can watch video and come back the next game to close up the holes he had last game. His first season here he'd up in the ECHL anyways and he's honestly the best goalie we can get right now for that specific hole in the goaltending pipeline.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can we even draft Marchand? He's been passed over in the past two drafts. He's getting an ELC somewhere. I liked his adaptability and he showed that he can watch video and come back the next game to close up the holes he had last game. His first season here he'd up in the ECHL anyways and he's honestly the best goalie we can get right now for that specific hole in the goaltending pipeline.

Fitzpatrick
Hart
Parsons
Marmenlind
Point
Woll
Sawchenko
Samuel
Vehvilainen
Raaymakers
Wells
Peeters
Comier
Sarthou
Dhillon
Gustavsson

Honestly the best goaler we can get? Honestly? Could you explain why you're so hellbent on filling this ECHL position? It's not like the Fort Wayne Komets suffered starting their ECHL goaler in Nagle, even over Martin. Yes they lost to Allen, but the organization won't suffer, they need more of an AHL starting goaler who can challenge Martin more than giving free ELCs like candy to extremely average goalers. I'm all for drafting a goaler, but Avs as Tigre has said in the past, they don't give out ELCs for free. And this is with Avs having some serious problems in other positions as well, we are close of losing at least two to three of our top 6 in the AHL. That is more of a priority for me, than seeing who can sit on the bench in tier II for Nagle.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Every org needs 5 goalies signed, even Sakic has referenced the "one through five" goaltending depth chart. I suppose the 5 could be an AHL contract but that's probably not a long term solution. One way or another they will probably sign a 5th goalie. And I also don't think it's a lock that the goalie signed is the 5 because I could see them leave Martin in the ECHL one more year. I know he wasn't getting the starts there but it could depend on who exactly they end up signing. It's not so we can staff the Komets, who don't care anyway, it's about having a proper pipeline where when Martin moves up a spot then there's someone behind him. If we lose Will then Berra and then possibly someone else then we are thin in goal again.

I'm glad Beaudin survived the MC. I was worried someone was going to blow him up one day but it never happened, he knows how to get rid of the puck at the right time. I thought he looked better and still did some good things. He was even still effective on the boards either holding the puck or digging it out. Some of his passes if his teammates finished them would have been highlight reel variety. He's definitely a bit more dynamic and aggressive at 100%.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Fitzpatrick
Hart
Parsons
Marmenlind
Point
Woll
Sawchenko
Samuel
Vehvilainen
Raaymakers
Wells
Peeters
Comier
Sarthou
Dhillon
Gustavsson

Honestly the best goaler we can get? Honestly? Could you explain why you're so hellbent on filling this ECHL position? It's not like the Fort Wayne Komets suffered starting their ECHL goaler in Nagle, even over Martin. Yes they lost to Allen, but the organization won't suffer, they need more of an AHL starting goaler who can challenge Martin more than giving free ELCs like candy to extremely average goalers. I'm all for drafting a goaler, but Avs as Tigre has said in the past, they don't give out ELCs for free. And this is with Avs having some serious problems in other positions as well, we are close of losing at least two to three of our top 6 in the AHL. That is more of a priority for me, than seeing who can sit on the bench in tier II for Nagle.

None of those goalies are going to be in the pro system for another two seasons at least. Gustavsson and Vehvilainen aren't going to come over here to play in the ECHL right after being drafted. So right now we have two holes in our goaltending pipeline:

NHL Starter: Varly
NHL Back-up/1B Starter: Pickard

AHL Goalies: Berra/Martin

ECHL Goalie: None

Legitimate Goalie Prospect: None

What ever goalie we draft will go into the Legitimate Goalie Prospect category which leaves the ECHL goalie spot empty. It's important to use the ECHL as a developing tool in this stage to provide not only depth, but to also provide a late blooming goalie with a chance at the pro level. In a situation like this I am in favour of bringing in an overager goalie to fill that ECHL spot.

Even if Marchand/whoever can become a decent AHL goalie then it would be great to have them in the organization to provide stable goaltending in the AHL along with providing mentorship to goalies coming through the system. The Avalanche are looking at bringing in a goalie so they feel the same way I do or at least feel it's important to have 5 goalies in the pro system.

Every org needs 5 goalies signed, even Sakic has referenced the "one through five" goaltending depth chart. I suppose the 5 could be an AHL contract but that's probably not a long term solution. One way or another they will probably sign a 5th goalie. And I also don't think it's a lock that the goalie signed is the 5 because I could see them leave Martin in the ECHL one more year. I know he wasn't getting the starts there but it could depend on who exactly they end up signing.

If the Avalanche sign an overager goalie either to an AHL deal or ELC, Spencer Martin will be in the AHL full time. Martin is the star goalie prospect in the organization and needs AHL time in both terms of game time along with the coaching from JIF.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
You don't have to sign Marchand to an ELC just an AHL deal. Michael Joly only got an AHL deal with the Rangers even though he should've been able to get an ELC. NHL-Varly+Picks AHL-Berra+Martin ECHL-Marchand pretty simple

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If the Avalanche sign an overager goalie either to an AHL deal or ELC, Spencer Martin will be in the AHL full time. Martin is the star goalie prospect in the organization and needs AHL time in both terms of game time along with the coaching from JIF.

If it ends up being an overager I agree but when they were trying to bring in a guy like Lyon he wasn't going to the echl. That's why I said it depends who exactly they bring in. Who knows, they might sign some older guy strictly for the AHL.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
If it ends up being an overager I agree but when they were trying to bring in a guy like Lyon he wasn't going to the echl. That's why I said it depends who exactly they bring in. Who knows, they might sign some older guy strictly for the AHL.

I feel as if the Avalanche are bringing Martin to the AHL no matter what. More control in terms of starts and the coaching he receives. If the Avalanche brought in Lyon then it would have been Martin/Lyon combo in the AHL with an older goalie in the ECHL who would be called up to the AHL due to injuries.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The other player is Pu, he's quite big with some serious speed and good hands. I think he can potentially rise a lot in the next two years when he puts more weight and gets more substantial minutes. I really hope he's a player Avs will look at in the 3rd round. Problem though is he probably played himself in the late 2nd round now.

Someone is going to take a chance on him somewhere between 25 and 40. It is going to look like a big reach, but I think that team is going to look very smart in a couple years.

I'm guessing Pu goes to Toronto at 31 or Calgary at 35.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Per Pronman, the Avs will not sign Magyar (not shocked) and Pepin (not shocked, per se, but thought there was a small chance)

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Would have liked to see Pepin signed and see what we had in him. I haven't really watched him play to know much about him but it sounded like he had some untapped potential. The Avs seem to be very stingy with their contracts to prospects.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Would have liked to see Pepin signed and see what we had in him. I haven't really watched him play to know much about him but it sounded like he had some untapped potential. The Avs seem to be very stingy with their contracts to prospects.

Something to keep in mind with this...they had signed Beaupre and Meurs to ELC's. That's two contract spots right there for players who spent the majority of this past season in the ECHL...and there's nothing wrong with the ECHL either, but for guys who are on the end of their ELC's, it shows that maybe they shouldn't have gotten that to begin with (note the difference with Geertsen, this was his 1st pro year, on a crowded SA blueline, the expectation is that he'll be in the AHL next year).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
2014, ah what a draft year.

l2fdwg1.jpg

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
We aren't the only team that hasn't had much luck with the 2014 draft at least. Browsing a few other boards the last few weeks, and there have been at least a couple other teams that didn't find much there either.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We aren't the only team that hasn't had much luck with the 2014 draft at least. Browsing a few other boards the last few weeks, and there have been at least a couple other teams that didn't find much there either.

Dallas let a lot go, I know that. But they do still have their first two picks.

Of course we don't want to be stuck with 3 years of guys like Meurs and Beaupre but we still don't know what the alternative is going to be, can't say for sure they just won't be doing that as a last resort. Maybe older guys on shorter contracts to bridge us to next year is the best hope.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
2014 was a crappy year for most teams (I really can't remember a worse year for OHL draftees...) and it has been compounded by the miss early and a trade. It isn't right to say they got nothing (Boedker and Berra), but they got nothing in the first four picks that will help long-term. That hurts, but it is also why they made/making changes. One bad class won't sink a team, but they will need to have a higher hit rate in 2015/16/17 because of 2014.

I hope that they give Pepin an AHL deal to see if he can get his head right next season, but I totally understand not tying 3 years of contract space to him.

The 2016 draft will be interesting because like 2014, I don't see it being a good class. Scouts earn their salt in weaker years and finding gems. They will be put to the test this summer.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Things can change quickly but at least the other recent drafts look pretty good right now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
2014, ah what a draft year.

Boedker...*sigh*

Anyways; hopefully they give Pepin an AHL contract & he earns an ELC next summer. I've never expected him to amount to anything, but that's still a lot of talent in a big body that seemed to do a lot better with his focus/motivation this season.

I'm not saying "the light went on" for him, but maybe he's finally starting to develop better habits/routines and realizing that he needs to get his **** together (at least for a good long while) if he wants to make some real money off of his gifts by cracking the NHL or earning a serious offer from overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad