2015-16 Around the League VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This really isn't true, look at the standings. They are right in the mix now. They have to play .500 or better to hang in there and start to chip away. They just can't have a losing streak or play below .500 for long.

The Avs are 5 points back of the last wild card team and I believe the teams that Avs are chasing have game or games in hand. Playing .500 or just above won't do it because other than the Jets all the central teams seem to be winning almost every game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
bieksa + hagelin = 7.5 mil in salary this season

beauch + palmieri = 6.1 mil in salary this season.

More about the future than this one year. Palmieri is getting a much bigger contract after this season. Beleskey was also let go.

The Avs are 5 points back of the last wild card team and I believe the teams that Avs are chasing have game or games in hand. Playing .500 or just above won't do it because other than the Jets all the central teams seem to be winning almost every game.

Nashville is only going to hover around .500 the rest of the season unless they make a move. They are not a very good hockey team. Winnipeg doesn't have good enough goaltending and too many little questions to be much better than .500 for long. 5 point swings can happen very quickly in the NHL. With the Avs playing the Preds 2 times in the last 7 games... if the Preds end up being the competition for the final spot... it will probably come down to those games.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Avs do need another 5 game win streak sooner rather than later to make the playoffs. They may be in the mix but other teams will keep playing well for the most part, considering the division.

If they keep up playing this way for the rest of the season, the still might miss the playoffs, but not by much. If the Avs manage to finish something like 4 points out of the playoffs, I'll be upset rationally because they got so close and missed, but emotionally satisfied because at least they made something out of the season.

The Jets have already started to spiral and Nashville could easily continue to tumble. If the Avs can just keep putting points on the board and string some wins together along the way that final WC spot is there to be had...though it may take a 3-5 game winning streak (or two) to do; unless we just keep dominating the central division. But that's feasible with Varly back on form and Duchene no longer being saddled with dragging Iginla around in a top 6 role.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
More about the future than this one year. Palmieri is getting a much bigger contract after this season. Beleskey was also let go.

it's not THAT much more and they did offer beleskey similar contract (not quite as good iirc) but couldn't agree with NMC/NTC.

before this season, palmieri wasn't going to get as big contract as hagelin. and if he were to play that well that he was going to, they could've trade him as he's RFA after this season. and for much better return than what they got from the devils (mid 2nd).

they do have a lot of cap space this season so i think they are preparing for next offseason when they have to pony up for lindholm, rakell and vatanen. or just trade them for medicore return, i guess that would work as well..

that roster could get really scary if they get top 3 pick. still have few pretty promising prospects in their minor league system.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Anaheim is a budget team that has a hard internal cap. They will always have cap space. It is more about not disrupting the internal budget too much. When they can have a deep playoff run, the strings are loosened a bit, but they draw them back all the time. They need to maintain flexibility for them to stay on budget in real dollars now and in the future. So if they can gain flexibility at some point in contracts to maintain their budget, they will choose that route even if the contracts are similar in price.

IIRC Beauch wanted 5.5m to stay on a 2 year deal and 4.75m on the 3 year deal. He obviously didn't get that on the open market, but Anaheim made a move to get a similar (in their minds) defensemen for less money and more flexibility.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Still waiting on Beauchemin's 7 game winning streak lol.

Also, if anyone listens to XM-Radio Nick Alberga and Jake Hahn called Pekka Rinne "Clearly a top-3 goalie in the world" :laugh:

He hasn't been that for a while.

It's astonishing the people Sirius-XM has for their NHL Network Radio shows. They truly are amongst the least knowledgeable hockey people out there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
i don't think those moves helped the to maintain flexibility. especially hagelin for palmieri swap. it did the opposite.

It gave the cost certainty and less outright salary for the seasons after this one while maintaining similar for this one. After this season they are paying Hagelin ~3.6m. Palmieri would have gotten that with his next contract even before this season.

For the same time frame they are paying Bieksa 10.5m while they would have had to pay Beauch 14.25 over the same years.

They have an internal budget that they can't surpass and this year wasn't really the issue for them. It is 16-17 and 17-18 that are the problems. Especially 16-17 when Kesler, Lindhom, and Vantanen's new deals kick in (along with big money years in Perry and Getz's deals).

I'll be surprised if the Ducks don't dangle Cogliano out there during the deadline. Maybe Folwer too considering how they haven't been enthralled with him over the past couple seasons.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I finished watching the second episode of 24/7 and man that was sad moment for Vatrano. The dude scores a hattrick and none of the media talks to him. He's just sitting there thinking they will talk to him, but no one cares. Altitude might be subpar, cheap, and ghastly hosts product that they bring us, but never did they ever pull that trash like the Boston media did.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So I finished watching the second episode of 24/7 and man that was sad moment for Vatrano. The dude scores a hattrick and none of the media talks to him. He's just sitting there thinking they will talk to him, but no one cares. Altitude might be subpar, cheap, and ghastly hosts product that they bring us, but never did they ever pull that trash like the Boston media did.

You'd have to pay me to watch a show about Boston, plus I'd just get depressed we aren't getting a show. That sucks though, you are right that at least Altitude treats everyone equally.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Seriously? Man that's bush league on the part of the Bruins' media. Against Pittsburgh no less.

If the game was in Montreal I guarantee that even the Montreal media would be clamouring to talk to him after the game, win or lose.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It gave the cost certainty and less outright salary for the seasons after this one while maintaining similar for this one. After this season they are paying Hagelin ~3.6m. Palmieri would have gotten that with his next contract even before this season.

For the same time frame they are paying Bieksa 10.5m while they would have had to pay Beauch 14.25 over the same years.

They have an internal budget that they can't surpass and this year wasn't really the issue for them. It is 16-17 and 17-18 that are the problems. Especially 16-17 when Kesler, Lindhom, and Vantanen's new deals kick in (along with big money years in Perry and Getz's deals).

I'll be surprised if the Ducks don't dangle Cogliano out there during the deadline. Maybe Folwer too considering how they haven't been enthralled with him over the past couple seasons.

then they could've traded palmieri next offseason if they weren't willing to pay him. if they are that tight with their internal cap, it was stupid to pay that much for hagelin when there are two big holes on their roster.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Not every day you can get a #1 Center for picks and prospects. Good for the Sabres.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Is there a bigger MVP in the league than Erik Karlsson? Senators are a totally different team with him on and off the ice.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Is there a bigger MVP in the league than Erik Karlsson? Senators are a totally different team with him on and off the ice.

Not sure about MVP but he's at the top of my most fun player to watch list. I watch their games just for him.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Hard to seperate goalies from skaters. But I don't think there is a team that has a bigger gap in performance level when there top player is on the ice and when he is not if you understand what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad