2015-16 Around the League VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nice to see Anaheim falter. I've been a Kesler hater for years. Now they have Bieksa and who knows, maybe Burrows one day as well.

Biased hatred aside, Kesler hasn't consistently produced offence since 2011. Even that year, Malhotra took the toughest matchups and Kesler feasted offensively vs non playoff teams and on the PP. VS playoff teams at 5v5 I wouldn't be surprised if his production is quite poor.

I appreciate how hard Kesler battles but he's a really dirty player and a whiny, embellishing player to boot. Bieksa is the same way, though he doesn't compete nearly as hard. Can't stand either of them.

It's lovely to see them on a team with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, two guys who have proven time and time again that they aren't good enough to lead a team to a championship, yet Ducks management stupidly decided to build around them. The Ducks will be stuck with all four of them for a few years and they'll begin the downward spiral to the bottom of the standings

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You can build a winner around Perry. He's an elite talent. Dirty as all hell, but an elite talent. Getzlaf is a top-line center for sure, but I do question him wearing the C.

I don't think the Ducks made a mistake building around him, nor do I think they made a mistake getting Kesler either (that extension, however, is horrendous). But I do think Bob Murray is a terrible GM who's been propped up by a scouting staff who is far better than he is. Basically the Ducks are a budget team that broke the bank on three players, and is trying to go cheap everywhere to fill in the gaps. You can't have a bad GM in charge in that kind of situation, and the Ducks have exactly that.

I'll give Murray credit though...he very easily could have caved and fired Boudreau early this season, but he didn't because he knows these guys are quitting on him and he won't give ground. Unfortunately he'll likely have to soon anyway, and I'd rather he just do so now so Boudreau can go to Pittsburgh like he was always destined to.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They might be missing Beauchemin more than they'd like to admit as well, on and off the ice. I don't think refusing to give him a three year deal was a bad move but then they went and acquired Bieksa and immediately gave him an extension, which made no sense.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think they absolutely messed up not giving Beauch 3 years. It totally changed the dynamic of that defense. They might not have liked the 3rd year of the deal, but this was a team that was a step away from playing for the cup... you don't make big changes to teams that close. Letting go of Beauch and trading Palmieri were two dumb moves... probably both related to the internal budget. It was made worse when they got Bieksa to replace Beauch.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think they absolutely messed up not giving Beauch 3 years. It totally changed the dynamic of that defense. They might not have liked the 3rd year of the deal, but this was a team that was a step away from playing for the cup... you don't make big changes to teams that close. Letting go of Beauch and trading Palmieri were two dumb moves... probably both related to the internal budget. It was made worse when they got Bieksa to replace Beauch.

bieksa + hagelin = 7.5 mil in salary this season

beauch + palmieri = 6.1 mil in salary this season.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Speaking of, sounds like Stewart is a healthy scratch

I'm watching that game right now and I can confirm he is.

They're in much different roles but him and Kesler have produced almost the same amount of offense this season. Stewart has 6 goals and 10 points and Kesler has 4 goals and 12 points. Pretty ugly.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't watch outside of our games so why can't they score?

outside of bad luck, they don't have a single forward who has both speed and skill. they have 3 skilled forwards and they also have few very fast forwards but those skilled forwards are average at best skaters. and of them seems to be playing injured. that happens to ryan getzlaf, their best player. LW on getzlaf and perry's line has been revolving door for years since pancakes was let walk the first time via offer sheet. rakell has worked well there but then the other lines can't generate any offense. 2nd line (kesler-slifverberg) worked well last season when there was beleskey creating time and space and finishing chances. silf has wicked shot and is good defensively but has been offensive blackhole and has trouble creating time and space. kesler isn't a good playmaker for a center and not what he once was. hagelin has wheels but lacks finish. probably hurts more since palmieri broke out though i don't think he maintains this pace. they don't really have scorers outside of perry as silf doesn't count due to his flaws in skating and skillset, even if he has good smarts and excellent shot.

lindholm hasn't taken the next step and last year they had top 3D in beauch, who they downgraded to #5/6D in bieksa. even if one isn't believer in corsi (not the biggest fan either) the difference in corsi for linholm with and without bieksa is huge. losing despers to concussion has also hurt.

there also might be systems related stuff that other teams have adjusted to but i haven't watched them enough to be certain. but that i'd guess is related to their roster construction. no/poor identity.

in past seasons they managed, somehow, get good production/play from veterans, AHL callups and prospects. that hasn't really happened this year.

it's not terrible roster overall but it's not constructed the way BB likes his teams to play. it's lacking identity, which i guess isn't surprising since they seem to change that every offseason.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I just can't get over how idiotic it was to let Beauchemin walk and then immediately trade for Bieksa and sign him to an extension. That move has Ryan Kesler demand written all over it

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Getzlaf has one goal this season and that was an empty netter a month ago.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When the ducks get even more desperate, will they double down on the expensive slowing vets and bring Ladd in to play with Getz and Perry, with 4-6 year extension not far from Kesler money?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
When the ducks get even more desperate, will they double down on the expensive slowing vets and bring Ladd in to play with Getz and Perry, with 4-6 year extension not far from Kesler money?

Only when they let the rest of their team go and then fill in the gaps with ELC's for every other player due to their internal budget

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Only when they let the rest of their team go and then fill in the gaps with ELC's for every other player due to their internal budget

That's where the follow up trade moving Fowler for futures to restock their pipeline comes in...and GMBM's realization that it'll probably be somebody else's problem anyway.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Minnesota will finish in the top 4 again with the hawks, blues and stars. Nashville and Winnipeg are the teams we need to get, & stay, ahead of.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
last nights in ducks-rangers.. ducks had one practice a while ago just for 3on3 play. they DUMP the puck in 3on3, lose possession. rangers get it which eventually leads ducks being pinned in their own zone and eventually brutal line change which leads to a penalty which lead to a goal.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The 5 game win streak kept them somewhat close, and if they wanna continue to keep close they need to go on another 5 game win streak after that loss to Toronto.

The Avs need like a 10 game win streak to actually get into a playoff spot and I don't think a 10 game win streak is realistic.

I'm afraid the Avs just dug themselves a big enough hole in October and November and playoffs just not happening, I don't see it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The 5 game win streak kept them somewhat close, and if they wanna continue to keep close they need to go on another 5 game win streak after that loss to Toronto.

The Avs need like a 10 game win streak to actually get into a playoff spot and I don't think a 10 game win streak is realistic.

I'm afraid the Avs just dug themselves a big enough hole in October and November and playoffs just not happening, I don't see it.

This really isn't true, look at the standings. They are right in the mix now. They have to play .500 or better to hang in there and start to chip away. They just can't have a losing streak or play below .500 for long.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Avs do need another 5 game win streak sooner rather than later to make the playoffs. They may be in the mix but other teams will keep playing well for the most part, considering the division.

If they keep up playing this way for the rest of the season, the still might miss the playoffs, but not by much. If the Avs manage to finish something like 4 points out of the playoffs, I'll be upset rationally because they got so close and missed, but emotionally satisfied because at least they made something out of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad